• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek Films Redux

That's mostly what bugs me about Star Trek III.

Genesis! Or not.
Spock is dead! Oh no he's not.
Kirk has a son! Oh no he doesn't.

I agree completely.

But then Klingon Christopher Lloyd makes up for it. Klingon Christopher Lloyd can make up for anything.

has anyone else noticed that everyone seems to have completely forgotten that lore ever existed in ST:X, they mention that B-4 is the first data-like lifeform they have found (or something like that) that film was fucking retarded and is steaming shit along with 1 and 5.

has anyone else noticed that everyone seems to have completely forgotten that lore ever existed in ST:X, they mention that B-4 is the first data-like lifeform they have found (or something like that) that film was fucking retarded and is steaming shit along with 1 and 5.

I read an interview with LeVar Burton and Marina Sirtis at some point where they were talking about he guy that directed that movie having no interest at all in Star Trek lore (heh), and kept referring to Geordi as "the alien" throughout the production of the movie.

Mind you, I don't really care about such inconsistencies. Star Trek II was a great movie, also if it makes no sense that Khan remembers Chekov. But the makers' complete lack of interest in what makes good Star Trek probably didn't help Nemesis either.

B5_O is right- it's the dumb-ass thing.

Didn't know that about Catrall/vulcan thing. I could see the dramatic advantage of having it been the same character, but I also don't like that every movie sequel just has to destroy everything from the one before. One movie- oh lookee, the Genesis project. Next movie- it go boom! Oh look, Apollo Creed is helping Rocky. Next movie- he's dead! Alright, we get it Hollywood, you're bold, enough.

The worst ever is Alien3, that pissed all over the happy happy ending of Aliens.

But it's not so much the death thing - that's just a symptom of sequelitis. The higher the number behind the title, the more they find it necessary to kill off characters to keep the drama going.

I see the Saavik traitor idea as being akin to JMS's Takashima traitor plot. If we had watched a full season of B5 only to see Takashima or Ivanova instead of "Garibaldi's Aide" revealed as a traitor at the end of the season, the punch would have been considerable.

IV >> VI, if you ask me. I used to really like VI, but the last few times I've watched it .. I get the feeling it's not aging nearly as well as II is, for example (which never stops being awesome). Or IV, inspite of the fact that IV is actually set in the 80s.

But you've hit the nail on the head. Anything already established as having a retro feel never ages badly. Dad's Army never grows dull.

Ok so it was contemporary at the time... but because Star Trek is in itself futuristic, the fact that they travel back in time makes the ageing of that time period meaningless.

IV and VI are both great because they make use of the cast as an ensemble force.

I think III is a little too easily dismissed.... it's ok and has some really memorable scenes involving the Enterprise herself (limping home, being stolen and then being sacrificed).

Oh and the funeral scene in II has some excellent send ups:

Monty Python

Spock's Revenge

And while V was a terrible, terrible movie .. the fact that it has Shatner, Nimoy et al. doing silly shit alone makes it a hundred times more enjoyable than the steaming pile of dung that was Nemesis.

The worst part of Nemesis is that it rips vast swathes from the script of Khan and does so in such a blatant and pathetic manner.

Nothing in it is truly a surprise and you just feel that it was all done rather lazily.

I've got all of them on DVD, yet Kahn is the only one that gets a relatively constant rewatch. But I would rate 3 & 4 as also fairly great, mainly due to the story the flows between them. 6 is also fairly wicked, and has great Klingons. When you hear about how the budget and production of 5 got shafted, you can see why it sucks so much. There is however no excuse for 9 & 10. First Contact (8) was pretty cool and the only good TNG movie.

The new Trek movie is the only one that really feels like a movie, as opposed to an extended episode of Star Trek.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back