• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Stargate Universe

Oh and that device that lets them communicate with people on Earth like they're actually there or like people from Earth are actually where they are is kinda weird, but cool.

So I have seen the three part pilot of this show and am very luke warm on it. That shouldn't be a surprise as I was very luke warm throughout SG1. If it didn't pass the 45min while I was on my elliptical doing cardio....I wouldn't have watched it on my own time as it just didn't captivate me much. That said...I did like Atlantis better although it did start to tire near the end, basically after they removed Wier and the original Doctor.

That said, this show in some ways strikes me as definitely a different mood so far. All the in-fighting struck me as pretty realistic after what happened, and when people realized how screwed they were and their commanding officer was in a coma.

I totally get no one trusting the Doctor --- I wouldn't trust him either. He put EVERYONE in danger by dialing up the 9th chevron when he could have dialed another site because HE decided it was more important than everyone else. Whats more, he really seemed to fly by the seat of his pants in many areas....I don't think he has it all together. Additionally, he really started losing it on the desert planet and was almost giving up. So yea...way too flawed a character to ever be a leader IMO.

I'm not sure if I am into any of the other characters yet, its still too early. The computer geek kid with his hat on backwards I can see getting real annoying real quick.

Another thing about this show...is you can tell they are totally going for the Battlestar Galatica mood and feel. Parallels to me (other than some of the effects) were small group of human survivors removed from civilization. I remember one of the first episodes of BSG was "Water" and the pilot for SGU was "Air" so similar starting points.

Still after all that...I hope they do good by this show. It has the POSSIBILITIES that Star Trek Voyager had when it started, and we know how quickly that was botched. They are galaxies away from home and have an entire ancient ship to discover, so there is a lot to do. That being said, I was really disappointed where after the first two hours of the pilot they were dialing up the Stargate on the ship traveling to another planet to find something they needed. It could have been Cheyenne mountain.....not a ship galaxies away and it would have been the same thing. Still...I guess you need to have a gate in a show called Stargate.

So I'm going to give it a try mainly because I'm not watching much else this season so far, so we will see where it goes.

The third episode was a goddamn bore.

I mean, I like that type of stuff where nothing major seemingly happens but small things push shit forward, realism and suchness. But this? Hell, considering that I didn't expect anything, I managed to get disapointed.

And the girl not coupling with Eli? Oh hell, the stupidness. Guess I'll marathon this through once a full season is out and see if it goes anywhere.

I'm finding the show to be boring now as well. It seems like all everyone does is fight with each other and yell at each other while Rush has a nervous breakdown trying to figure out how to save their lives.

Well it looks like everybody's going to die next week so that alone will get me to watch. I'm looking 4ward to the visit to the sun. ;)

I still want to know what the deal was with the shuttle detaching from the ship last week.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

I wonder if the sun can somehow charge up the power on the ship. At first I thought maybe the gas giant would do that, but it appears that it didn't.

Yes it was very boring. But I took the little bit of character development and enjoyed it. I'm liking this a lot better than Atlantis (no offense but that show really did blow). I don't think it will come close to RDA SG1 but a man can dream, a man can dream.

I guess that episode was pretty boring to me too. I downgraded the show tonight to background noise, admittedly, but when I looked over and saw it was time for Sanctuary I couldn't help but think "gee, seems like something should've gotten my attention during that hour."

I really want this show to work, but it seems like it's just missing some spark to really get it going.

Yea, we have to understand putting all the pieces in the right places for the arc takes a while, but, they could've made it a little more exciting getting to that point. I think the mystery of the shuttle, so far is the only thing keeping me focused.

Not sure if I recall correctly or not, but, I believe one of the descriptors of the series was that the arc would be looser, I'm hoping what we've seen so far isn't what they meant by that. There was also a descriptor that left me thinking they were saying it was going to be "Soap-y"

Yeah, I guess the show is more about character development and the way they relate to one another right now and not so much about what happens to them or where they go, what they do, etc. Probably once you get to figure people out things will start to happen.

So here is my thing so far. First, I think the in-fighting is OK since given the seriousness and apparent hopelessness of the situation and the wide mix of people on board, it is a rather realistic response for almost everyone.

Second, yes, its been rather boring so far.

Third, character development is so-so at best. The little "talk into the camera" thing is a little tired and I didnt feel much more connected to any of them that did it.

Lastly, and I know there are some Robert Carlyle fans out there so I apologize in advance for this, but his character is BY FAR the worst aspect of this show. His character is SO UNLIKABLE that its to the point of making the entire show unwatchable. Nervous breakdown this, shouting every sentence that, completely be-rating everyone around him and telling everyone how useless they are, staring all pissed-off into the camera when asked to say a couple words, along with his huge ego really make for a character I want to go away, and fast. Rodney McKay in Atlantis was as smart and had a huge ego....but was done in a somewhat fun and entertaining way --- to the point I really liked him. I can't fucking stand Rush and whenever he appears on the screen I want to change the channel. I dont care of its realistic or not. Its not a dig on the actor who clearly has talent. His character sucks. Period. And he really makes the show almost unwatchable. I hope they turn this around quick or I'll be removing this show from my DVR Season Pass.

For that matter...I'm trying to think of a character I do like...and am having trouble with that. Maybe the Lieutenant? Maybe the smart kid? Nah...hes kind of annoying, so not there yet with him.

Recoil thanks, I thought I was the only who was having a really, really difficult time with the Dr. Rush character. I really know nothing of Robert Carlyle, but, I recall he was the draw for a alot of people to try the series out.

Recoil thanks, I thought I was the only who was having a really, really difficult time with the Dr. Rush character. I really know nothing of Robert Carlyle, but, I recall he was the draw for a alot of people to try the series out.

I wasn't *as* aware of Robert Carlyle as some of the UK posters on this site were, but I do remember seeing him in a series or two. The last thing I remember him was in that TV-Movie that served as a "Prequel" to the last Season of 24: 24: Redemption (or something like that). He was a friend of Bauer's in Africa I think. VERY different character than Rush. Very pleasant, loyal, likable guy for the somewhat short time he was on camera.

Like I said, its not the actor, its the character.

In this weeks episode, Rush was still a yelling asshole. The producers continue to try to replicate BSG in every way possible, this time by both naming and matching the plot of an early episode with and early BSG episode: "Water"

The special effects are even BSG like. I'm not certain, but Im almost positive its the same FX company (which also did Firefly I believe, so I guess in essence BSG had Firefly type space FX and SGU does as well).

Giving this a couple more weeks but its really feeling flat to me.

I give up. This show plain sucks.

I wonder if the makers are facing much ridicule... especially from BSG camps.

So, we've had "AIR" and "WATER" now, can "FIRE" and "EARTH" be far behind?

Yea, Dr. Rush is as annoying as ever, but, at least the Colonel is realizing it, LOL

Apparently the BSG rip offs are working for them, because I've seen quite a bit of praise for the show for it's "BSG"-ness.

I agree with it being flat, I'm in until the mid-season break (I assume they'll do the standard 10 eps and then a break?) but, if there's no hope by then, I won't waste any more hours on it.

I never watched BSG (well, the old one years ago...yes, but the newer more recent version...no), so I can't really compare the two shows. But, as others have said, I'm beginning to find it "flat". I'm growing tired of everyone fighting and yelling and no one trusting anyone else. At least some of them got off the ship the last couple of episodes. I'd like to see more working together to accomplish their goals and more voyages to other planets to search for supplies.

A friend of my summed it up nicely in one word. "Negative"

Meaning, everything in the show seems a downer ... where everything seems so negative. There has been very few, if any moments of joy, or any truly happy emotions. Even the sex scenes seem depressing ...

And agreed, the inner conflicts are getting way over the top ...

Am I continuing watching it? Yeah, for now, mainly because there is nothing else that distracts me come the day after Friday.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back