• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Watching B5 Again

Anna

Hi Everyone.
I'm just rewatching all my B5 DVDs (the last one was "Sic Transit Vir").I don't mean to moan but since B5 ended,there hasn't been a quality show matching it.I don't want to be negative but I force myself to watch "Battlestar Galactica" or "Stargate".Since B5 there hasn't been a show of the same quality.All of them are at best average.Perhaps,B5 was one of its kind;the intelligent,thought-provoking show with real life characters.May be I'm getting old but I miss B5 and all it stood for.Warm greetings to all the B5 fans.
Anna

There are plenty of good, thought-provoking shows that have come along since B5, so don't feel that there isn't ANY quality out there. However I'll admit that there isn't one single show that is done the same way B5 does, with a 5-year long pre-planned arc. In that respect, its one of a kind. But there are lots of other shows that I've enjoyed since B5 (although I am gearing up to watch the DVDs again, since its been a couple years.

Here are some ideas

Firefly (short-lived but sweet)
Battlestar Galactica (really solid first two seasons anyway)
Buffy
Angel (sort of like this one better than Buffy, where its roots came from)
Farscape (its out there, but it is a fun show to watch)
The Shield (I haven't seen it yet myself, but enough people have said this show rules)

I gotta agree about SG1 though. I've been watching it (a friend of mine has like, all 10 seasons on DVD and is a freak about that show). I only watch it while I am on my Elliptical for 45min a day, and even at that I find I have to "force" myself to watch it too. I'm on Season 6, and in the span of time B5 told its grand story, SG1 really hasn't progressed at all. In 5 Seasons they never have found any technology to really help earth, any allies they have made haven't done anything, the characters really haven't grown, and the story hasn't progressed at all. There have been some good and fun episodes, don't get me wrong, but SG1 is the ultimate "SciFi Puzzle of the Week" show that never really GETS anywhere.

There are good shows on TV, just nothing done like B5, and given attention spans, probably won't be a show done the same way again...

I've seen every B5 ep more times than I can count and I'll watch them more times than I can count again because the show is just THAT good. :D

And BTW...

Welcome Anna. :)

I gotta agree about SG1 though. I've been watching it (a friend of mine has like, all 10 seasons on DVD and is a freak about that show). I only watch it while I am on my Elliptical for 45min a day, and even at that I find I have to "force" myself to watch it too. I'm on Season 6, and in the span of time B5 told its grand story, SG1 really hasn't progressed at all. In 5 Seasons they never have found any technology to really help earth, any allies they have made haven't done anything, the characters really haven't grown, and the story hasn't progressed at all. There have been some good and fun episodes, don't get me wrong, but SG1 is the ultimate "SciFi Puzzle of the Week" show that never really GETS anywhere.

I've got to object here, just a little. Never had to force myself to watch SG1 until Seasons 9 & 10, which have been harder to get into because of the lack of RDA and the addition of Ben Browder and Claudia Black. Now I like Ben and Claudia, always have, but I just associate them with Farscape. Also, their characters on SG1 are just a little too close to their Farscape characters for me to accept easily on SG1. IMHO, they needed more of a clean break from Farscape, to a different genre or at least to radically different characters, and perhaps a different or much reduced accent for Claudia.

Regarding SG1 in general, it does seem that they ran out of ideas many years ago, and what we've been getting is a repackaging of the same ideas. It's always been more of a lightweight, less complex, more obvious show than B5, but I've enjoyed SG1 because I just like to watch its characters.

Regarding "In 5 Seasons they never have found any technology to really help earth, any allies they have made haven't done anything, the characters really haven't grown, and the story hasn't progressed at all." Recoil, that's a bit of an exaggeration. You have seen the Asgard and the Tok'ra, right? The Prometheus? The Air Force versions of the Goauld gliders (fighter craft)?

There are good shows on TV, just nothing done like B5, and given attention spans, probably won't be a show done the same way again...

That's probably true.

Last edited:
Hi Anna,

I recently talked my husband into re-watching the series since there is so little on TV right now. We started with The Gathering last night and as bad as some of the costumes, makeup and acting is in some parts -- we just get shivers seeing how early seeds were planted and knowing what is coming ahead. We are looking forward to watching it again as it has been a few years since we last saw it. I wish it was still shown on TV. :rolleyes:

I've got to object here, just a little. Never had to force myself to watch SG1 until Seasons 9 & 10, which have been harder to get into because of the lack of RDA and the addition of Ben Browder and Claudia Black. Now I like Ben and Claudia, always have, but I just associate them with Farscape. Also, their characters on SG1 are just a little too close to their Farscape characters for me to accept easily on SG1. IMHO, they needed more of a clean break from Farscape, to a different genre or at least to radically different characters, and perhaps a different or much reduced accent for Claudia.

Ok, then I have to object here just a little as well. ;) I will agree that seasons 9 & 10 are getting very boring and somewhat pointless but I like Vala (Claudia Black) because her character is quite a bit different than Ayrun (or however it is spelled) in FS. Yes, she sounds a bit the same but the acting is different. I will give you Ben however. He seems too similar to Crichton (why can't I spell?) in many ways plus he never really did it for me anyway.

KoshN:

I think Browder's character in SG1 is a LOT like Crichton, but Claudia Black's character is VERY different than Aeryn. In fact, I like Claudia Black's character better than any I've seen in the SG1 universe. She is like a warm breath of fresh air, and very fun to watch.

Regarding your other point...the Promethus doesn't exist as of a few episodes into Season 6, so that's a long time...

Azguard, sure, there are there. To'kra, sure. But neither of them are really any help when you NEED them. So yea, they have met, shook a few hands, but overall the story in general hasn't progressed much at all in 5+ Seasons. And from when I tuned into the show watching it live, around Season 9, it really doesn't progress until about then.

Ok, then I have to object here just a little as well. ;) I will agree that seasons 9 & 10 are getting very boring and somewhat pointless but I like Vala (Claudia Black) because her character is quite a bit different than Ayrun (or however it is spelled)
Aeryn

...in FS. Yes, she sounds a bit the same
A bit? She sounds exactly the same.

....but the acting is different. I will give you Ben however. He seems too similar to Crichton (why can't I spell?) in many ways plus he never really did it for me anyway.

Vala is a lot like Vash in TNG.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/character/bio/1112729.html

:D Welcome, Anna!

I'm going to be watching the whole series again, too! I've been sidelined for the next 6 weeks or so and decided that watching it from beginning to end was the perfect way to spend my down time. I'm really jazzed about it and hope to start tomorrow!

KoshN:

I think Browder's character in SG1 is a LOT like Crichton, but Claudia Black's character is VERY different than Aeryn. In fact, I like Claudia Black's character better than any I've seen in the SG1 universe. She is like a warm breath of fresh air, and very fun to watch.
Granted, she's more mischievious as Vala. As I said above, she's a lot like Vash in TNG.

Regarding your other point...the Promethus doesn't exist as of a few episodes into Season 6, so that's a long time...
Alright, Prometheus comes in at 6X11. It's hard for me to remember what they got when, because I don't own all of the SG-1 DVDs and haven't watched the episodes nearly as many times as I've watched B5 and Crusade. Right now, I'm stalled somewhere on disc 3 or 4 of Season 9. Getting through it has been like work.

In the Stargate universe, I currently own SG-1 Seasons 7, 8 & 9, and the SG-A pilot. In the B5 universe, I own Seasons 1 thru 5, the movie collection, two sets of Crusade, and the rangers pilot.

Azguard, sure, they are there. To'kra, sure. But neither of them are really any help when you NEED them.
The Asgard (mainly Thor) has helped them on numerous occasions, and SG1's returned the favor. IIRC, the Prometheus uses some Asgard tech (shields, beaming tech, hyperspace jump tech, etc.)

The Tok'ra gave them the Goauld poison.

Hi! I'm new!

Anyway, I'm up to season 3 of B5 right now and loving every minute of it. Now, I personally love SG-1 and until B5 it was my fave show.
I agree though that there is nothing since B5 quite like it and it makes me very sad. Firefly seemed like it was going to go that way but the network *curses at them*...

I haven't even finished watching all of B5 and I'm already craving for more of the same :) I hear Crusade is terrible *sigh* what a pity! At least they are still making movies, I suppose it's better than nothing.

As far as good shows go sci-fi-wise, "4400" is pretty good I guess, "Eureka" is fun, "Battlestar Galactica" was great up to season 2.5 (haven't seen the rest yet), SG-1 and Atlantis are not the same caliber but dangged entertaining, I hear "Heroes" is good, Buffy's fun but while some bits are really clever the series overall isn't and I really didn't like the last couple seasons...

Hi! I'm new!

Yeah, Post #1. :)

I hear Crusade is terrible *sigh* what a pity!
It's not. Sure, TNT-Atlanta messed with it as much as possible, but there's a lot of good in Crusade. IMHO, it's far, FAR better that B5's latest offering, the Rangers pilot.

At least they are still making movies, I suppose it's better than nothing.

The novels:
"The Shadow Within"
"To Dream in the City of Sorrows"

The Psi Corps trilogy
"Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"
"Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant"
"Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester"

The Centauri trilogy
"Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime"
"Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark"
"Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness"

The Technomage trilogy
"The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows"
"The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light"
"The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness"

...are all very good, and are canon continuations of the story. ;)

That ought to keep you busy for awhile.

So no only are you a Psi-Cop but you are a Spelling Cop as well? ;)

Granted, she's more mischievious as Vala. As I said above, she's a lot like Vash in TNG.

THAT I'll buy. In fact it supports this theory I have. SG1 is the most un-original series in the history of Sci-Fi. The only thing truly original about it, (and take this with a grain of salt please) was the original concept in the movie about and the core concept of the show about an ancient gate system linking worlds of the galaxy together, and its ties to our history and mythology.

Just about everything else, including characters, were ripped out of other Sci-Fi shows. Vash, Vala --- even starts with a "V"! There are TONS of other examples. Hyperspace Jumps (that even look similar to B5). The "Ring" concept was cool, but they have since cheated to the "Star Trek" method of "beaming." There are tons of other areas they have taken ideas and even whole episodes from.

Hey, anyone notice how a B5 thread somehow turned into an SG1 debate?

I penalize myself 2 demerits for the violation and will speak no further on this subject.

I haven't even finished watching all of B5 and I'm already craving for more of the same :) I hear Crusade is terrible *sigh* what a pity! At least they are still making movies, I suppose it's better than nothing.
Hi, Sketti, welcome.

I would suggest not letting other people make up your mind about Crusade. 'Terrible' isn't the word I'd use to describe it at all.

Jan

Jan said:
I would suggest not letting other people make up your mind about Crusade. 'Terrible' isn't the word I'd use to describe it at all.

I wouldn't call it terrible either. It had a LOT of potential. It was just doomed from near the beginning given what we know about TNT's interference. If had been allowed to proceed unimpeded, I think it would have been a good ride.

Hmm. Whatever. Most actors sound the same across the many roles they play. The actress who plays Delenn sounds just like her character on Lost but those characters are radically different.

Dude, I will give you that but where the heck did that come from? Nevermind. I am sure you will answer my rhetorical question anyway.

I haven't even finished watching all of B5 and I'm already craving for more of the same :) I hear Crusade is terrible *sigh* what a pity!

Don't judge Crusade based on everything you have heard. I highly recommend watching it if you get a chance after you finish B5 and judge for yourself. :)

I penalize myself 2 demerits for the violation and will speak no further on this subject.

Ditto to everything you said about SG1 and your demerits will be waiting for you in NC-17. :D I guess I should get some too for continuing the discussion. :eek:

Anyway, I hope my husband and I can watch disc one of season one tonight unless there are other shows we want to watch. Still, it is fun re-living B5 since it was part of our courtship. ;)

So no only are you a Psi-Cop but you are a Spelling Cop as well? ;)
Hey, I'm trying to leave that organization. I'm a Spelling Cop mainly when somebody essentially asks, and I can remember without having to look it up. ;)

THAT I'll buy. In fact it supports this theory I have. SG1 is the most un-original series in the history of Sci-Fi. The only thing truly original about it, (and take this with a grain of salt please) was the original concept in the movie about and the core concept of the show about an ancient gate system linking worlds of the galaxy together, and its ties to our history and mythology.
...which is quite a lot, actually.

Just about everything else, including characters, were ripped out of other Sci-Fi shows. Vash, Vala --- even starts with a "V"!
"Va" and 4-letters long.

There are TONS of other examples. Hyperspace Jumps (that even look similar to B5).
Except that B5's aren't curved confinement tubes, and SG1's don't have the doppler effect. Well, maybe SG1's have the blue compression doppler effect (blue), and we just can't see the amber stretching doppler effect due to the barrier. Based upon the look ahead, going through SG1's gates is more like going on a roller-coaster ride, ....lots of hard corners in a confinement tube, and come to think of it, bears a strong resemblance to Sliders effect once you're past the SG1 gate barrier.

The "Ring" concept was cool, but they have since cheated to the "Star Trek" method of "beaming."
Well, using Thor's method of beaming isn't exactly cheating. Thor's method is more flexible because it doesn't require a set of rings at the destination, and it's much faster.

There are tons of other areas they have taken ideas and even whole episodes from.
Still, it's a good, if simplistic, show. It has a lot of likeable characters, and good humor (especially when RDA was around). :)

"...and will speak no further on this subject." Yeah, right. :LOL:

Last edited:
Don't judge Crusade based on everything you have heard. I highly recommend watching it if you get a chance after you finish B5 and judge for yourself. :)

Just don't expect to be able to construct a perfect episode order, because there isn't one. TNT-Atlanta saw to that. If you're a perfectionist/puzzle nut, you'll continually try to come up with a perfect episode order, but that way lies madness. View The Memory of War before Patterns of the Soul to avoid the main continuity error. As for the rest, view them a bunch of standalone episodes. Put the blinders on and enjoy them as such.

Last edited:
I hear "Heroes" is good,

Yes it is - I'm really enjoying Heroes. There are other good (non sci-si) shows out there too such as Lost and I also like Prison Break a lot. BSG is also good but as most people have already said, there is nothing to really commpare to B5. As aleady mentioned, Firefly and Farscape are also great and worth watching too.

I would also recommend giving Crusade a shot - it was only really just starting to get going when it stopped. Also, having read some of the unfilmed episodes, it would have got even better (the season finale was fantastic) - such a shame they were never made.

Notice how I avoided mentioning Stargate... oh damn *curses*

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the 2nd page (trying to do too many things at once), hence replying to an older post in the thread.

Last edited:
Hmm. Whatever. Most actors sound the same across the many roles they play. The actress who plays Delenn sounds just like her character on Lost but those characters are radically different.
I agree with Lyta.

Some actors don't do accents, always have some of the same of vocal mannerisms all of the time ......... *and* are very good actors who play very different characters.

For a couple high profile examples, see Humphrey Bogart and Jimmy Stewart.

Or are you going to argue that Captain Queeg and Sam Spade are very similar characters because they sound the same? Or that the business tycoon of Sabrina is the same guys as either one of them?

And across Stewart's career you have his characterizations in Rope, Vertigo, The Cheyanne Social Club, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, You Can't Take It with You, and the second Thin Man movie (I forget the title of that sequel off the top of my head), among others. I can't imagine ever mistaking any two of those characters for each other, but they *all* sound exactly the same. (Sorry, I don't recall all of the character names.)

And neither one of them is *anything* like Aeryn Sun.

I'm only an occasional watcher of SG1, but as soon as Vala walked on screen I found her immediately easily distinguishable from Aeryn. The only similarity that I could find is the unavoidable (if you're casting Claudia Black) physical resemblance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back