B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 14th 18, 17:44   #1
Springer
Ambassador

JMS: Saved by Superman

Not sure if this is already common knowledge, but HarperCollins are going to be publishing JMS' memoirs next year.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...y-15-2018.html
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 18, 13:35   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: JMS: Saved by Superman

Hate waiting till 2019 but this is great news. It's certain to break our hearts, given some of the stories he's told in the past.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; January 18th 18 at 17:02.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 18, 18:53   #3
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
heards,
Through my excellent powers of deduction I have surmised that the intended word was "hearts", but far be it from me to put words in Jan's finger tips.

I will use this forum to express my dissatisfaction at the fact that this announcement was made now instead of closer to April 6, my first date in the Skywatch game. I wouldn't want Melanie to read my jealous words. LOL

Will I buy this book? Probably
Will I read this book? Probably not.

I believe I have said this before, there is such a thing as knowing too much about a person - I still haven't been able to bring myself to finish Babylon Confidential. Not that I dislike Claudia at all. It just seems like there is such a thing as knowing too much about someone who you put on a pedestal and this upcoming book might do that.

Last edited by Looney; January 18th 18 at 18:00.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 18, 17:05   #4
Jan
Psi Cop

Can't blame you for not finishing 'Babylon Confidential'. There was *way* too much information there. I'm thinking that 'Saved by Superman' (love that title) will be more like stories JMS has told in the past only possibly more so. Like his recent post about Christmas.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Old January 18th 18, 18:01   #5
Looney
Ambassador

I wonder when Superman actually appears in the book. I admit that has me curious, so I might read up to that point.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th 18, 01:29   #6
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Not sure if this is already common knowledge, but HarperCollins are going to be publishing JMS' memoirs next year.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...y-15-2018.html
That is really great news. I'd say it's about time, he's had such a widely spanning career and didn't exactly have an ideal childhood. HIs biography could really inspire a lot of people, especially kids who are not in a good place.
Old September 29th 18, 12:22   #7
Jan
Psi Cop

Apologies for not updating this thread for a while. First, the title has changed to "Becoming Superman" and the publication date is July 23, 2019. JMS said the E-book and hardcovers will be out the same date.

Here's the blurb from Harper Voyager:
Quote:
With an introduction by Neil Gaiman!

In this dazzling memoir, the acclaimed writer behind Babylon 5, Sense8, Clint Eastwood’s Changeling and Marvel’s Thor reveals how the power of creativity and imagination enabled him to overcome the horrors of his youth and a dysfunctional family haunted by madness, murder and a terrible secret.

For four decades, J. Michael Straczynski has been one of the most successful writers in Hollywood, one of the few to forge multiple careers in movies, television and comics. Yet there’s one story he’s never told before: his own.

Joe's early life nearly defies belief. Raised by damaged adults—a con-man grandfather and a manipulative grandmother, a violent, drunken father and a mother who was repeatedly institutionalized—Joe grew up in abject poverty, living in slums and projects when not on the road, crisscrossing the country in his father’s desperate attempts to escape the consequences of his past.

To survive his abusive environment Joe found refuge in his beloved comics and his dreams, immersing himself in imaginary worlds populated by superheroes whose amazing powers allowed them to overcome any adversity. The deeper he read, the more he came to realize that he, too, had a superpower: the ability to tell stories and make everything come out the way he wanted it. But even as he found success, he could not escape a dark and shocking secret that hung over his family’s past, a violent truth that he uncovered over the course of decades involving mass murder.

Straczynski’s personal history has always been shrouded in mystery. Becoming Superman lays bare the facts of his life: a story of creation and darkness, hope and success, a larger-than-life villain and a little boy who became the hero of his own life. It is also a compelling behind-the-scenes look at some of the most successful TV series and movies recognized around the world.
JMS has mentioned that he's considering 'barnstorming' genre cons when the book comes out. If you have a favorite convention, urge them to invite him if the con's after the publication date.