• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 series or spinoff ?

I was thinking the other day about Legend of the Rangers and Crusade both canceled one reason or another.And thought do you think we'll ever see a new B5 related program on the air ?

Or any new books for that matter ?If there is indeed a market for B5 then why no books like Trek has ?They have hundreds of them.

For your fist question: I hope so.

For your second question: B5 books are just like trek books, (some B5 ones are even better) there are just alot more Trek books because there are alot more trek fans.

well, we do know that the Babylon 5 story itself is finished. JMS said so himself. H's down exactly what he's wanted with B5, so it's highly unlikely there will ever be any more B5.

Now as for Crusade and Rangers, those stories haven't been completely told, so who knows, maybe we will see more of one or the other in the future. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I thought that JMS had said that if a B5 movie could ever be made he'd favor the idea of telling the telepath war.

He'd want to reward the actors from the series, or something like that.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by hypatia: </font color>
I thought that JMS had said that if a B5 (theatrical) movie could ever be made he'd favor the idea of telling the telepath war.

He'd want to reward the actors from the series, ...

[/quote]

That's my recollection, as well.

I think we were very fortunate to see B5 in it's entirety but thats as far as it goes. LOTR was a last ditch attempt at keeping the saga alive but after Crusade was cancelled I think the writing was on the wall as far as the entertainment community was concerned. The B5 universe was not meant to be. Star Trek is the definitive sci-fi yard stick and thats it!
I don't mean to sound negative here but we were damn lucky to get what we did! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif if it's not a star trek wannabe then it's not good enough!

Star Trek is the definitive sci-fi yard stick and thats it!

[/quote]
Great, now we have a yardstick that is a foot long. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Star Trek is o.k., it is about the only sci-fi I am watching these days that is new. But let's face it: they are a typical 1-show 1-shot storytellers. They have only one running plotline, and it is not very intricately developed at all.

Enterprise has gone the "safe" route. They have the luxury of a large set of fans who are really going to forgive a LOT that they see. I mean, tell me of any other franchise that could get away with Voyager. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

So, sorry. "Aiming" for Star Trek is like aiming for the ground. The writers are playing it safe and that makes things a lot less exciting than they could be.

Maybe this next season they'll be a little more daring. And I DON'T mean with the decontamination scenes. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by superbob: </font color>
if it's not a star trek wannabe then it's not good enough!

[/quote]

It's more a case of the networks and studios thinking that if it's sci-fi and not a Star Trek wannabe, it's not safe. Remember, this is the era of rehashing old stuff, and cheap shows. New ideas are too risky. What was it that Galen said? "They like being safe."

I for one am the most upset about Crusade not finishing. JMS obviously had a killer arc going, and I think he had been building up to that series for a while. LoTR on the other hand, was just a side story, that by the quality of the writing, didn't seem to invigorate JMS the way Crusade did.

I'm just hoping for more tele-movies--one that wrapped up Crusade.

Other than that, I'm happy the way that the B5 universe stands.

For me, LoTR was a detour, but Crusade was a needed addition. But oh well. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Phil

Well Crusade is something that bugs me, I want to see it finished.
As for Trek, even the old ones had slightly terrible stories, it was the characters that was the most fun really.
Modern Trek is so formula ridden that it borders on the ultimate boredom for the viewers.
I hope that the franchise will go away soon, it really sets an bad example for other scifi shows, in terms of what they can do.
DS 9 is about the only exciting thing Trek ever has done.
Oh well one can always hope that something good will emerges from the B5 universe.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Emfeeli: </font color>
I for one am the most upset about Crusade not finishing. JMS obviously had a killer arc going, and I think he had been building up to that series for a while. LoTR on the other hand, was just a side story, that by the quality of the writing, didn't seem to invigorate JMS the way Crusade did.

I'm just hoping for more tele-movies--one that wrapped up Crusade.

Other than that, I'm happy the way that the B5 universe stands.

For me, LoTR was a detour, but Crusade was a needed addition.

[/quote]

Why couldn't Sci-Fi see this? /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Actually, Star Trek got some of it's appeal because it mimics Star Wars at times. The Dominion war was kinda like the Rebels vs. the empire, for example.

The Dominion war was kinda like the Rebels vs. the empire, for example.

[/quote]

Other than the fact that both were wars (which they also have in common with the War of 1812 and the Franco-Prussian War, neither of which reminds me much of Star Wars) I don't see the resemblance. The Rebel-Empire war was a civil war, a struggle against a dictatorship. The Dominion War as a defensive struggle against a foreign invader.

Star Trek got its appeal from being Star Trek. It had established itself as a solid hit in three television series long before the Dominion War began - in the case of the original series it did so almost a decade before Star Wars was released.

The Dominion War looked a heck of a lot more like the Shadow War (and was more likely to have been influenced by it) than it did the SW Rebellion to me.

Regards,

Joe

I got the feeling that the final season of DS9 was a complete ripoff of B5. Being in production after B5 wrapped, many of same directors and genre actors were used. (John Vickery became a high ranking Cardassian and Bill Mumy ended up in a Starfleet uniform.) The story changed from episodic to story arc, involving a war thet encompassed the whole galaxy. Captain Sisko became truly messianic a la Captain Sheridan and was set to have a hybrid child of great signifigance. But this is hardly surprising after the producers passed on a similar space station oriented show before coming up with the idea for DS9.

DS9 has always been like B5, not only in its final years.
Captain Sisko became truly messianic a la Captain Sheridan and was set to have a hybrid child of great signifigance.

[/quote]
Sisko's importance was set up from the very first episode of DS9. The thing about his child... we never found out.

Sheridan recites Ulysses in The Long Night on the eve of battle
O'brien and Bashir recite The charge of the light brigade in Sacrifice of angels on the eve of battle. both are poems by Tennyson.
At the end of B5 centauri prime is in ruins due in part to londo's pact with the shadows
at the end of ds9 cardassia prime is in ruins due in part to gul dukhat's pact with the dominion.
Sheridan falls at Z'ha'dum
Sisko falls in the fire caves on Bajor.

and let's not talk about the origins of the series either.

real f**king original bastards working for paramount hey?

Back