• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Severed Dreams

Passing Through Gethsemane

• Total voters
I agree competely, probably the best ep, and not just for the action (although that was great), but there was some intense drama too. Some skin crawling moments (for me at least):

1. Delenn breaking the Grey Council - wow this just blew me away.

2. When the ship rams the other one (sorry, forget the names). For some reason, this really got to me.

3. When the troops breach the station - no sound effects, just music. A fabtastic bit of television - very moving.

The list could go on, but I think this episode redifned TV (more so than earlier eps) for the sheer scale and change in direction that the show took after the events that happened.

Great stuff!

A whole ton of really great moments. There's a reason this won a Hugo. But we must, of course, carry out our fanly obligation.

On three:

"This place is under our protection. Withdraw, or be destroyed."
"Negative, we have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ships."
"Why not...?"

Ecellant does not give this episode justice.Great scenes and moments and some memorable lines like the tongue lashing she gives the grey council.One of many reasons this ep won a Hugo.

I love this ep! Sometimes I still get goosebumps when I watch it! The battle scenes in and outside the station are just awesome! And I love the part where Delenn comes with that Minbari fleet to save the day. I even have what she says to the captain of that EarthForce fleet memorized. :LOL:

LOL, I was kinda wondering if a poll was even neccessary for this one. Shoulda just marked it excellent and been done with it. Is there anyone who doesn't think this is at least one of the best of the whole series?

Best of the Best.
The look on Corwins face and the tone of his voice when the 2nd set of Earthforce ships arrivals always makes me shiver. And of course, Delenn's rescue speech.
Though it did seem a bit unbelievable that all the Earthforce ships left without even testing her.
The end scene in the Zocolo gives me goosebumps too

And of course, Delenn's rescue speech.
Though it did seem a bit unbelievable that all the Earthforce ships left without even testing her.

Seeing her as she made that speech, knowing what a Whitestar and two Sharlins could do to your force of a couple of Omegas and a few support ships, "testing" her could easily result in all the people on the EA ships ending up dead. If somebody that pissed and earnest had a loaded 44 Magnum with its hammer cocked, finger on the trigger, and pointed at your head, would you "test" 'em?

I guess the EA Captain just wasn't suicidal.

I guess the EA Captain just wasn't suicidal.
Yes.

It is worth remembering that anyone who had been around long enough to have reached a rank that would put them in command of a task force (and likely even any of the individual ships, at least the bigger warships) would also have been around long enough to have been a veteran of the Minbari War. They would *know* that their force had absolutely no chance of even putting up a tough fight against Delenn's force.

The only way to "test" her resolve, beyond just claiming juristiction and trying to order her away (which already had failed), would involve firing on either her ships or the station. Once that happened, Delenn's resolve wouldn't be an issue. Her ships would return fire as a matter of course. Once *that* happened the EA force was as good as dead .... and all of the EA command level officers *knew* it.

:D Severed Dreams is absolutely one of my favorite episodes! There are so many wonderful scenes in this one. I especially like the scene where Sheridan is talking to his Dad.

He knows, :( they both know, they may never speak again...and yet they're trying to be so strong for each other. It's just a really wonderful scene. :D

True, I agree that it would have been suicidal, but this was the new improved "cocky" Earthforce.
I would have expected at least one attempt to call Delenn's bluff.

True, I agree that it would have been suicidal, but this was the new improved "cocky" Earthforce.

It was the old improved cocky Earthforce (fresh from its decisive intervention in the Dilgar War) that started the war with the Minbari that almost led to the extermination of humanity. Clark's influence on Earthforce notwithstanding, none of the senior officers (all of whom would have served in the war, all of whom would have lost shipmates, friends or family to the Minbari) would have dared attack a Minbari. Earthforce still had no way to reliably lock onto even an ordinary Minbari warship, had inferior drives and handling characteristics and that's without considering the unknown capabilities of the White Star.

If somebody that pissed and earnest had a loaded 44 Magnum with its hammer cocked, finger on the trigger, and pointed at your head, would you "test" 'em?

Great, now I keep hearing Mira's voice finishing that speech by saying, "So, you gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

:)

Joe

Great, now I keep hearing Mira's voice finishing that speech by saying, "So, you gotta ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

:LOL: :LOL:

Do you think she could manage an Italian accent? Or at least an Italian from New York City? ;)

:LOL: :LOL:

Do you think she could manage an Italian accent? Or at least an Italian from New York City? ;)
Or, more to the point, a Clint Eastwood rasp (while squinting, of course). :cool: :LOL:

ETA: Should we just go for the aliterative nickname? "Dirty Delenn" ;)

This was the start of the civil war. The Earthforce captains were just following orders rather than fighting a real enemy.

This was *after* the whole fight that included the boarding of the station and the destruction of entire EF destroyers on both sides.

The commanders of that second wave of ships *had* to know that before jumped into normal space at B5. Even if, through some wierd miracle, they didn't know it before jumping in ..... there was no way for them *not* know it instantly upon seeing the wreckage floating around the Epsilon 3 area.

They were already in a shooting war, and they knew it.

They just wanted no part of a shooting war against Minbari cruisers, if it was at all possible to avoid it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back