• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Dresden Files

The 1st Sample Chapter for Cold Days is online if anybody out their is like me & needs their fix. I kinda enjoyed starting Changes on Chapter 6 when the book came out. Either they didn't post chapters for Ghost Story or I just don't remember reading them.

Chapter 2 comes out November 6th.
Chapter 3 on the 13...
& Chapter 4 will be available on the 20th.

Then the book on the 27th...

[EDIT]... links added.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Last edited:
So it snows the day Cold Days comes out. I thought that was pretty cool. :p

Did you get your copy yet? Mine is on the way (ordered on 11/16). BTW, I just rewatched "The Dresden Files" in the Production Order, which is much better than Sci-Fi's order. I wish it had continued, even if it wasn't exactly faithful to the books. However, S1E12 "Second City" was a good ending, for what we got.

Did you get your copy yet? Mine is on the way (ordered on 11/16).

Well, first off... I strategically located myself next to a Barnes & Nobles for Thanksgiving. Then I overstayed my welcome & waited until Tuesday to come home. So of course it had to snow that morning. But yeah, they opened up at 9 & I got in there a little after that... got home & cracked the book open at like 10ish.

I probably could have finished it the same day but I managed to put the book down later in the evening. I was gonna just read a chapter or two today but it sucked me in again & I finished it off this morning.

I have to say... I think it's the best book yet. I won't give out any spoilers but a lot of unanswered questions are finally answered. How often does that happen, right? You find out what's up with Demonreach. You find out more about the Winter & Summer courts... lots of stuff answered, new questions added though.

At first I wasn’t a fan of the twist ending... but after a couple hours it sunk in & grew on me. My problem was I thought it was gonna go one way and then was unhappy when it didn't go that way.

BTW, I just rewatched "The Dresden Files" in the Production Order, which is much better than Sci-Fi's order. I wish it had continued, even if it wasn't exactly faithful to the books. However, S1E12 "Second City" was a good ending, for what we got.

I hope they do movies some day... Harry Potter's got nothin' on Dresden..

Last edited:
Did you get your copy yet? Mine is on the way (ordered on 11/16).

Well, first off... I strategically located myself next to a Barnes & Nobles for Thanksgiving. Then I overstayed my welcome & waited until Tuesday to come home. So of course it had to snow that morning. But yeah, they opened up at 9 & I got in there a little after that... got home & cracked the book open at like 10ish.

I probably could have finished it the same day but I managed to put the book down later in the evening. I was gonna just read a chapter or two today but it sucked me in again & I finished it off this morning.

I knew it! Truth be told, I bet you put your hand on the book, close your eyes and absorb it. :LOL: I got sidetracked with catching up with CSI (watched Seasons 1 thru 12 straight through, and now I'm caught up with Season 13.) and Criminal Minds (watched Seasons 5 thru 7 straight through and now I'm caught up with Season 8.) when I was about halfway through Turn Coat, so I'm going to go back and read Turn Coat from the beginning, and then read Changes, Ghost Story, Cold Days and Side Jobs.

My copy and John W. Campbell Jr.'s "Who Goes There?" Seven Tales of Science Fiction arrived today.

BTW, I just rewatched "The Dresden Files" in the Production Order, which is much better than Sci-Fi's order. I wish it had continued, even if it wasn't exactly faithful to the books. However, S1E12 "Second City" was a good ending, for what we got.

I hope they do movies some day... Harry Potter's got nothin' on Dresden..

Who would you cast in the roles? Maybe they could do one movie per book.

Maybe... Adrien Brody? I'm just throwin' a name out their... he's the right height. Never really thought about it because I'd have no say in the matter anyway. As long as they do the character the way he's supposed to be... maybe with a hat though. :p

Harry Dresden... "I don't do hats."

Maybe... Adrien Brody? I'm just throwin' a name out their... he's the right height. Never really thought about it because I'd have no say in the matter anyway. As long as they do the character the way he's supposed to be... maybe with a hat though. :p

Harry Dresden... "I don't do hats."

I was happy with Paul Blackthorne as Harry Dresden, but the hockey stick has to go.

I was happy with Paul Blackthorne as Harry Dresden, but the hockey stick has to go.

Yeah... that was one of my main dislikes in the show. That & the one episode where he was charging it by spinning the crystal. Oh, & his blasting rod was a drum stick... I don't remember if he ever used it.

Paul Blackthorne did do a good job though... I've seen him on tv twice since Dresden Files. He had a small role in Deadwood, I think he ended up getting his throat slit, either that or got shot like everybody else.. & now he's in Arrow which I watch Wednsday nights. Not a bad show.

Yeah... that was one of my main dislikes in the show. That & the one episode where he was charging it by spinning the crystal.

What's wrong with showing his wizard's staff? In the LotR movies, Gandalf had one. They made so many little but pointless changes. Is there something wrong with keeping things faithful to the books? Being faithful to the books would have BUILT audience. People would have talked it up instead of pointing out everything that was wrong and/or different.

Oh, & his blasting rod was a drum stick... I don't remember if he ever used it.

Caution: Say that between Thanksgiving and Christmas and drumstick has a whole 'nother meaning. :LOL:

No, he never used it. It got destroyed by one of the baddies, burnt to ashes in seconds. The hockey stick got used as a sort of blasting rod, though we never saw him cause a fire with it. We also never saw the pentacle used.

Paul Blackthorne did do a good job though... I've seen him on tv twice since Dresden Files. He had a small role in Deadwood, I think he ended up getting his throat slit, either that or got shot like everybody else.. & now he's in Arrow which I watch Wednsday nights. Not a bad show.

The only problem I had with Paul as Harry Dresden is when Paul let his brit. accent slip through.

What's wrong with showing his wizard's staff? In the LotR movies, Gandalf had one. They made so many little but pointless changes. Is there something wrong with keeping things faithful to the books? Being faithful to the books would have BUILT audience. People would have talked it up instead of pointing out everything that was wrong and/or different.

I liked the hockey stick when I first started watching the show... but then I started reading the books & found out it should have been an actual staff. Now I understand that it's weird to walk around in modern times with a wizard staff... but Harry does that in the books. If you think about it it's just as weird walking around with a hockey stick when you don't even play hockey.

Caution: Say that between Thanksgiving and Christmas and drumstick has a whole 'nother meaning. :LOL:

No, he never used it. It got destroyed by one of the baddies, burnt to ashes in seconds. The hockey stick got used as a sort of blasting rod, though we never saw him cause a fire with it. We also never saw the pentacle used.

I remember thinking how cool it was when he used his shield bracelet in that one episode. Then I read the books and I'm like... how could they make it look that tacky?

Harry never even got to use fire magic in the show and that's his thing. How many buildings has the guy accidentally burned down while using fire? A lot. Then in the show... not even one... "FUEGO!"

The only problem I had with Paul as Harry Dresden is when Paul let his brit. accent slip through.

Never noticed it...

I liked the hockey stick when I first started watching the show... but then I started reading the books & found out it should have been an actual staff. Now I understand that it's weird to walk around in modern times with a wizard staff... but Harry does that in the books. If you think about it it's just as weird walking around with a hockey stick when you don't even play hockey.

His staff could have been used like a walking stick and could double as a fighting pike.

Harry never even got to use fire magic in the show and that's his thing. How many buildings has the guy accidentally burned down while using fire? A lot. Then in the show... not even one... "FUEGO!"

:LOL: I miss FUEGO! I even miss flickum bickus. Come to think of it, I can't recall where vocalizes a spell in the TV show. I guess the producers thought that'd be too much for the audience to handle.

Never noticed it...
I don't have a big problem with it. Check out "Bad Blood" in the flashback sequence when Harry and Bianca are talking at a bar. There are places in other episodes where his accent slips, but "Bad Blood" is where I first noticed it.

What I wish they'd do is make a theatrical movie out of each book, FAITHFUL TO THE BOOKS, starting with Storm Front, and put in all the R-rated stuff that they couldn't put in a non-pay channel TV show.

I don't have a big problem with it. Check out "Bad Blood" in the flashback sequence when Harry and Bianca are talking at a bar. There are places in other episodes where his accent slips, but "Bad Blood" is where I first noticed it.

Ahh... Bianca. Were there any characters in the show that didn't get rewritten into something else by SyFy writers?

Morgan went form looking like Sean Connery to a Black dude.

Bianca went from crazy nemesis to bedfellow. I like to think they would have eventually pitted them against each other but whatever. They did the Red & Black Court Vampires the same.

Murphy went from blonde to brunette & somehow ended up with a kid from one off her marriages.

If Carmichael was in the show I don't think he was fat.

Bob got a body and a different back story. Which actually, I kinda liked the guy who played Bob.

I guess Marcone didn't get to exist yet... I don't remember him turning up and if they did the show off of the first couple books you woulda expected Marcone. He woulda been a great character for the show.

Of course DuMorne (the dead guy) gets a spot on the cast. In the show DuMorne kills his father and adopts him as his uncle or something. In the book they don't address how Daddy Dresden dies, at least I don't think they do. Cancer? Anyway, he dies & Harry goes to the orphanage.

Susan Rodriguez became a white, blonde chick.

No Michael... or any of the Carpenters.

What I wish they'd do is make a theatrical movie out of each book, FAITHFUL TO THE BOOKS, starting with Storm Front, and put in all the R-rated stuff that they couldn't put in a non-pay channel TV show.

That would be so awesome! I would actually help pay to make those movies... if I actually had that kinda doe. :p

Last edited:
I wish somebody would come out with some The Dresden Files coffee mugs, from the book cover illustrations, new illustrations featuring more than just Harry from the books (however Jim Butcher imagines these characters looking.), and/or from the TV series, preferrably all of the above. I imagine that anything NOT involving the TV series would be much easier to accomplish.

Last edited:
Follow-up my #96: I found three mug designs on Cafepress, but only one is something I want (the Dresden business card one). Go to cafepress and search on Dresden and Splattercon. Also check here in this forum:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/

I wish we could get mugs with The Dresden Files book cover art on 'em, like the avatars available on the bboard.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... Johnny Lee Miller (of Elementary) would make a good Harry Dresden, if he could sound like a Chicagoan.

Hmmmm.... Johnny Lee Miller (of Elementary) would make a good Harry Dresden, if he could sound like a Chicagoan.

He does a pretty decent (if not over done) New Yorker accent a couple times in Elementary.

I watched a Jim Butcher vid the other night on youtube... It turns out he's a B5 fan!!! I mean, the guy throws all kinda nods to scifi stuff in his books, but I never noticed a B5 nod. Dresden himself is a Star Wars fan, Molly's a Star Wars/Trek fan. Anywho, this vid was like an hour long and about a half hour into it he says that he really loved a series called... Babylon 5..... and how it was very well done or something. I gotta go look for the link now.

Found it... link

He was talking about how the writers of B5 had done a great job forshadowing future events in the show. It's 31 minutes in if you don't wanna watch the whole thing. & don't worry about spoilers for Cold Days...

But yeah... he talked about a bunch of stuff in the vid. They asked him if Harry would ever actually wear a hat and he said if he did he would get him like the Indiana Jones Fedora hat or something like that.

When asked who he would want to play Harry Dresden the guy asking the question said anyone alive or dead & Jim Butcher said a 1977 Harrison Ford. I couldn't picture Harrison Ford playing Dresden but I gotta admitt it would be cool to see... if they perfected time travel I mean.

Also he said he has the rights back if they ever do decide to do a movie or movies... SyFy doesn't have jack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back