• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Braga quits Trek...

That's probably a good assessment - he's the kind of guy that should be having the ideas, but not the kind of guy that should be in charge, ever.

Well .. had the ideas, in the old days.

Does anyone know how involved he was in writing Generations? I know the credits are between him, Berman, and Ron Moore .. that one must have THE most annoying plot hole of all times for me. Aside from the fact how the Nexus just wasn't plausible .. the rocket thingy with wich Soren shoots the sun. He shoots of a propulsion rocket at the sun .. the rocket goes up into the sky, 3 seconds later the sun starts to explode. I don't always expect Science Fiction to be realistical, and I generally can keep good humour about plot holes, but I really had to wonder about that one .. :rolleyes:

If memory serves, there were some scenes deleted between the missile launch and its effects on the sun. Either that, or somewhere between the shooting and re-shooting months later of the final sequences (i.e., Kirk's death and other scenes on the mountain), the details were lost, and the final edit ended up as it did.

In "reality," the rocket would have had to be much larger... probably to the extent where it would've had to be its own ship, with faster-than-light speed capability, just to get to the star within a few moments. (Which would mean he'd probably launch it from orbit, instead of on the planet, just for the sake of efficiency.) And even then, Picard & Soren wouldn't have seen the bomb's effects on the sun for another several minutes as the light would have to travel to Veridian III. By that time, the shockwave would be on its way and it would be too late to get out of there.

Either way, it was indeed a glaring film flub as far as actual physics go, but it got the point across in favor of more talking between Picard and Soren.

Minor aside - possibly apocryphal, but I have it on (reasonably) good authority that Kirk's last line "we did make a difference, didn't we?" (or something like that) was originally going to be "Bridge on the Captain."

but they thought it was too flippant. Don't know if it's really true, but it is funny. :)

VB

Either way, it was indeed a glaring film flub as far as actual physics go, but it got the point across in favor of more talking between Picard and Soren.

To me it made the whole thing seem like the makers believed the sun to be a little orb a few kilometers off the ground of the planet. I SO would have appreciated just a teenie tiny cut away to the Enterprise between the firing and the explosion, yes, to make it seem like the time between the two events was undefined.

The size of the rocket was not plausible either, yeah, but that's the kind of thing I can look beyond. 24th century, incredible technology, it could start some kind of chain reaction I guess. The principle of an atom bomb would have seemed completely implausible in the 16th century. It being Science Fiction, I don't expect things to be plausible. I do expect them not to be retarded though, which the sun exploding on the sky within a few seconds definitely was.

Oh, and I never got why Soren has to be on a planet to get to the Nexus. Yeah, I know because you can't get into it with a ship. Er .. how did Soren and Kirk get into it in the first place?

Or why he was forced out of the Nexus - don't you stay in the Nexus as long as you wish?

As much as I enjoy Generations, it so seemed like a lame and not very inspired attempt to get a movie with Kirk and Picard in retrospective :D

Even some of his Voyager stuff was good, like 'Scorpion Pt 1'.

Anybody know if it's possible to rent or buy Scorpion I & II without having to rent or buy the entire Season 3 & 4 sets?

A while back in the UK you could get 'best episodes' VHS collections, this was on there. It was great.

Not sure about DVD or any current legal method.

A while back in the UK you could get 'best episodes' VHS collections, this was on there. It was great.

Not sure about DVD or any current legal method.

Yeah, I was talking about DVD (Don't even think about tape, anymore.<shrug>). I won't spend $400+ to get the six episodes I want.

Caretaker I & II
Scorpion I & II
Endgame I & II

If any show screams for a "Best Of" treatment on DVD, it's Voyager.

Odd, Netflix does send you a series disk by disk, but can you rent just one at a time? I've enver looked into that.

Yeah, all you have to do is put the whole box set on your queue, then they they're listed in your queue sepearetly so you can just delete the discs you don't want.

When you have a series of dvds they will list the episodes and any special features that might be on a particular dvd.

Oh, and I never got why Soren has to be on a planet to get to the Nexus. Yeah, I know because you can't get into it with a ship. Er .. how did Soren and Kirk get into it in the first place?

Or why he was forced out of the Nexus - don't you stay in the Nexus as long as you wish?

As much as I enjoy Generations, it so seemed like a lame and not very inspired attempt to get a movie with Kirk and Picard in retrospective :D
Picard asked that very question: "Why doesn't he just fly into it with a ship?" Data responded, "Records show any ship that has attempted to fly into the Nexus has either been destroyed or severely damaged." No one is aware, of course, that Kirk wasn't actually killed, but is in the Nexus. Therefore an assumption is drawn that the plasma bolts & gravitational tides would destroy the ship (and those aboard) before they entered the Nexus reality.

This may not be the case, as the people aboard the Lokul were at least partially aware of it, and were already phasing in and out of our reality as the ship was being buffeted about. Additionally, despite the fact that the Enterprise-B took a direct hit to her deflector array where Kirk was located, he was still pulled into the Nexus.

So the theory that flying a ship into the Nexus would be suicide may not have been entirely correct... but I imagine in those 80 years hence, Soren would have thought about that, but wrote it off as too big of a gamble. Plus, 80 years of obsession is plenty of time to justify writing off the lives of the pre-industrial society on Veridian IV. :)

And now Braga's new show has been cancelled .

And I'm truly sorry to hear that, since Threshold was pretty good. I guess CBS can't do sci-fi. Maybe like TNT, most of its core audience doesn't like sci-fi. There's no way I'm watching Close to Home. I'm already watching six cop procedurals, all on CBS.

CSI Miami
NCIS
Criminal Minds
CSI: NY
CSI
Numbers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back