B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 11th 14, 13:43   #81
JoeD80
Commander

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
I don't claim to know Joe's mind, but I know a lot of writers, and I'm an amateur myself.
In this case, I think it was ugly stupid reality. I honestly believe the Telepath arc was intended to be *INSIDE* B5 (or B5/BP) all along.
The thing is, we have a lot of Joe's notes, the closest we have to being in his mind. None of them point to the telepath war being set in season five, except for the Psi Corps bombing - which was seen in "Wheel of Fire." The biggest character arc of the telepath crisis (Ivanova) was morphed into Lyta's falling into Byron's cult. The script books are fairly detailed about these things. Now he did say he would use the war as background to Crusade - hard to know how much since that show didn't go past half a season and the Crusade script book series hasn't been finished.

Last edited by JoeD80; August 11th 14 at 14:40.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 14, 23:03   #82
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
I don't claim to know Joe's mind, but I know a lot of writers, and I'm an amateur myself.
In this case, I think it was ugly stupid reality. I honestly believe the Telepath arc was intended to be *INSIDE* B5 (or B5/BP) all along.
The thing is, we have a lot of Joe's notes, the closest we have to being in his mind. None of them point to the telepath war being set in season five, except for the Psi Corps bombing - which was seen in "Wheel of Fire." The biggest character arc of the telepath crisis (Ivanova) was morphed into Lyta's falling into Byron's cult. The script books are fairly detailed about these things. Now he did say he would use the war as background to Crusade - hard to know how much since that show didn't go past half a season and the Crusade script book series hasn't been finished.
Playing my side is boring, so I'll play yours for variety's sake: if he didn't intend it to be in S5 or B5 at all, then he intended it to be the "Earth/Minbari War" of the Crusade storyline: the huge event that shaped everyone's destiny, but which we never see much of.

That said, iI think it was a collossally bad decision on his part, but, eh, whatever. It happens.

An important thing to remember, however, is that despite having a 'grand plan', B5 was in actuality a fairly fluid evolution of TWO series (B5 and BP) which got conflated into one. The idea to conflate them was obviously ocurring to JMS but he doesn't seem to have been completely sold on it until mid-late S2. Thus a lot of things that had been intended to be in the "B5/BP" storyline got absorbed into what we now call B5, and the stuff that wouldn't fit - such as presumably the Technomages and the Telepath Crisis - were likely intended to be part of BP all along, and to some extent Crusade was probably partially intended to conserve such unused elements of BP as JMS still thought were interesting.

(I mean, hell, remember that Babylon Prime had engines! It was technically a ship....)

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 14, 22:15   #83
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what the Babylon 5 universe can look like. On the big screen. With today's technology. I do think original B5 effects with space battles were so amazing, but the notion of seeing a Narn destroyer slowly inching its way across the screen in a giant theater makes me truly giddy.

I've seen the original series. I fell in love with the characters and the story arcs. But they are done. I'm okay with something new coming along. I will sit in the theater and revel both in the joy of the new changes and the thrill of being "in on the secrets" that stay.

And I could see using some of the former actors. The way they used Zarek, for example in BSG reimagined? Great stuff.

My only reluctance comes from the logistical side of things. Will this really ever happen? I want to believe, but until things are more firmly in place, I'm going to err on the side of caution. (I also felt this way about GRRM's GoT, which had a positive outcome.)
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th 14, 13:33   #84
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what the Babylon 5 universe can look like. On the big screen. With today's technology. I do think original B5 effects with space battles were so amazing, but the notion of seeing a Narn destroyer slowly inching its way across the screen in a giant theater makes me truly giddy.

I've seen the original series. I fell in love with the characters and the story arcs. But they are done. I'm okay with something new coming along. I will sit in the theater and revel both in the joy of the new changes and the thrill of being "in on the secrets" that stay.

And I could see using some of the former actors. The way they used Zarek, for example in BSG reimagined? Great stuff.

My only reluctance comes from the logistical side of things. Will this really ever happen? I want to believe, but until things are more firmly in place, I'm going to err on the side of caution. (I also felt this way about GRRM's GoT, which had a positive outcome.)
Like I said above, I'll go see it whatever happens. That said, I instantly started protecting myself becuse I don't think it's going to happen, and I'm tired of getting my heart broken.

A German friend of mine who was absolutely vastly passionately more obsessive about B5 than I once said this: "Babylon 5 is like a package vacation that a Travel Agentconvinces you to go on, despite having never heard of it, and no real interest in it. It turns out to be the greatest thing imaginable, and you're blown away. The next vacation, you go to the same agent and say "Book me another one!" So she sends you someplace, and it's ok, but not as good, and you have to leave early because of a Cyclone. You go to the travel agent again and again because of how great the first trip was, but each subsequent vacation is just that much less than the one before, and finally she just ends up showing you brochures for hotels that haven't even been built yet. So you give up and go to Canada instead."

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 14, 20:48   #85
falstaffe
Lurker

OK, so it looks like it's going to be a re-imagining of the whole shebang. I can see that. The original show was constrained by the technology and budget limitations of the 90's, telling the story from the pov of the ambassadors stationed at B5. But a reboot could open it up to a galaxy-wide cast of characters and locations. Coupled with modern f/x and modern, grown-up tastes in dramatic television, this could be very, very awrsome. (Think "Game of Thrones.")

HOWEVER,

The point I'm murky on is how this works without a commitment from some network somewhere beyond the movie. I mean, is the movie a pilot of sorts? That means Warner Bros has to start making decisions on B5 again--Joe has control of movie rights, but they own the broadcast end.

Ugh. Warner Bros hasn't shown themselves to be very good caretakers--it's almost as if WB is trying to bury the show. Hard to see any kind of relaunch without addressing this issue head-on, like buying out their stake in B5.
falstaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 14, 06:03   #86
hypatia
First One

Couldn't it be done as a single movie, or a series of movies?
Old September 27th 14, 14:16   #87
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post

Like I said above, I'll go see it whatever happens. That said, I instantly started protecting myself becuse I don't think it's going to happen, and I'm tired of getting my heart broken.

A German friend of mine who was absolutely vastly passionately more obsessive about B5 than I once said this: "Babylon 5 is like a package vacation that a Travel Agentconvinces you to go on, despite having never heard of it, and no real interest in it. It turns out to be the greatest thing imaginable, and you're blown away. The next vacation, you go to the same agent and say "Book me another one!" So she sends you someplace, and it's ok, but not as good, and you have to leave early because of a Cyclone. You go to the travel agent again and again because of how great the first trip was, but each subsequent vacation is just that much less than the one before, and finally she just ends up showing you brochures for hotels that haven't even been built yet. So you give up and go to Canada instead."
Kevin, good to see you back! Yeah, I'll go see it too... in a heartbeat. Fingers crossed it actually happens. I still think funding could be an issue.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 14, 16:53   #88
hypatia
First One

I have gotten the impression that even after the money is no longer an issue, even after filming is no longer an issue, sometimes films still never get distributed. So there is never a 'guarantee', until you see it in the theaters.

What I don't know is how likely it is to get this far in the process, and still have it fail.

Will backers see B5 as having been quite successful, originally? I see it as a fantastic success, but would someone backing it see it as a large enough audience?

I wish it were easier to make films that could be marketed without having them cost such incredible amounts of money to make. It's like a real all or nothing gamble, these days, to put out a major motion picture.
Old September 27th 14, 19:05   #89
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by falstaffe View Post
The point I'm murky on is how this works without a commitment from some network somewhere beyond the movie. I mean, is the movie a pilot of sorts? That means Warner Bros has to start making decisions on B5 again--Joe has control of movie rights, but they own the broadcast end.
It's a feature film, not a pilot- though I suppose it could work as one if successful. While other studios might care about the TV rights, Studio JMS doesn't have to. I don't remember if I posted it here or not but here's the actual announcement that I video'd. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...id=31257643587

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 14, 03:17   #90
falstaffe
Lurker

Ubik, I'd disagree on the "diminishing returns." I personally found Crusade's first season (currently rewatching-just got the dvd's) to be full of fun and drama on par with B5's first season. Dureena, Galen, the Excalibur, the Apocalypse Box...tis a pity and a shame that network meddling tanked another great show before it could reach its full potential. Even Legend of the Rangers had promise (despite the "gunnery" setup -- blech.)

Since B5, JMS has grown greatly as a writer--Changling, Thor, and Rising Stars and more show him to be someone who is exploring new ideas, new challenges. I'm looking forward to seeing JMS revisit the B5 universe, and give us new ideas, new characters, new stories and a fresh take on one of my favorite franchises.

My best guess is that while the station will still play a prominent role in the show, that this time around we're going "into the trenches" of Minbar, Mars, Earth and elsewhere. The original setup made sense for economic and technological limitations of the mid-90's. Today, there's almost no limit to what you can do or show (in every sense of the word. For examples, see: HBO's Game of Thrones.)

But that's only a guess. I'm sure JMS will surprise us all.
falstaffe is offline   Reply With Quote