• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Better than I remember ...

I was just closing down my PC a couple of nights ago, and happened to hear the Crusade theme drifting out of the next room. Wandered through and discovered Racing The Night playing on Sky One.

Now, I have all of the episodes of Crusade on VHS (bought when they first appeared), but haven't watched them for a while because it never really floated my boat quite the way B5 did.

I always considerd RTN to be one of the best two eps, the other being Each Night I Dream of Home, but on watching this time I was struck that it was much better than I remembered it.

I thought the different look of the lighting, a bit darker and more X-Files, suited the style of the show really well, and overall this episode was enjoyable and intriguing in equal measure.

Apart from the grey pyjamas !!!

Leaving aside the issues around where the story would have gone, I for one would have been interested to see whether the Excalibur did return to that world when they found the cure, and if so what would have become of that race.

There is also some great cryptic stuff about "The Box", and (I think) a nice piece of foreshadowing in Gideon asking Galen "Where do you go" when he leaves the ship. I always felt that "where Galen goes" was going to be of major importance further down the line.

You can certainly see why JMS originally planned this as the opening episode - it kicks butt, and for me makes a better opening episode than Midnight on the Firing Line!!

Just a pity about TNT.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Somebody gulped. You were supposed to sip not gulp!"

I believe that when the cure is found, that one race in the cryo-tubes will be saved, along with the last of Dureena's race. If TNT would have given Cruased time to finish off the first season, the show would still be showing now.

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> If TNT would have given Cruased time to finish off the first season, the show would still be showing now. <hr></blockquote>
Your probably right. Even if only the unaired scripts were show, TNT would have realized that the show was going somewhere. (We figured that out long ago!)

TNT can't see past their white walking stick! b5 almost didn't make it but when it was given a chance it proved to be a milestone in tv sci-fi history. B5 is still gaining popularity after it's finished yet they deny that crusade will ever make it. How the hell do they expect to it to make it by cutting it off at the roots before it's had a chance to take root!

'Racing the Night', . . . hmmmmm, my favorite, from the very first time! I can't quite explain why, I just loved the feel of the whole of that episode - the story, the interaction between all of the characters and 'yes' between Gideon and Galen, the foreshadowing, the script, dialogue and sharp humor. . . hang on, I've just described the whole of Crusade?! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif And the SFX really worked for me in this episode, not only because the effects were visually stunning, but also because they were really successfully integrated into supporting the story and not being the focus. Not that that wasn't usually the case, but I just really liked the scenes of the Excalibur!

. . . and about those grey pyjamas, not a word from me, well, maybe one, . . . uuurgh! I liked those t-shirts and sleeve-less leather jackets! They were slick and cool!

<signed Galen>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Even if only the unaired scripts were shown, TNT would have realized that the show was going somewhere. (We figured that out long ago!) <hr></blockquote>

Ok, maybe realized isn't the right word. Maybe "had to deal with the fact" , or "acepted" works better.

Keep in mind that TNT cancelled Crusade before a single episode aired. It just didn't fit their low-brow programming well. /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Back