• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoilers)

Re: Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoliers)

Sunday July 19, John Barrowman was in a high speed crash. His car plunged down an embankment, and rolled four times.

Addendum: I just found some more info. Seems he was very lucky, and just bruised and scraped a bit. I think the $120,000 Subaru was totaled though...

He probably died and came back a few minutes later with a sharp intake of breath.
;)

... well he is Captain Jack!

Watched part of the second episode last night. Great choice having them on the run, reminds me of what a shame it is that we never got to watch Crusade in the "on the Run" mode. Looking forward to the rest of this episode and the remaining 3.

Watched the rest of ep 2, and also watched ep 3. This series is pretty dark, I'm really enjoying it. The Gov't guys really are a piece of work. And the cliffhanger revelation about Jack was pretty unexpected, can't wait to see that expanded on in tonights ep.

I've seen all five now. They were pretty intense! Also, very dark.

SPOILERS

Captain Jack having to kill his grandson to save the planet, wow. Kinda biblical, not something you are likely to see in TV these days. When (if?) the series returns, I guess we know who the first new recruit will be, someone with um, special contacts? ;) Also, maybe the woman military leader we were meant to hate so much (I know I did) who changed sides a bit in the end, and allowed Jack to save things?

Last edited:

Thanks, JJ. :LOL: I read up to the huge 'SPOILERS', then figured I should be able to see this series some day, so I'd stop reading.

I'm glad to read that you say it's dark. The series is well suited for that, I think.

It was actually his grandson, but same difference. I think there were several potential new recruits in there.

JJ, yes, definitely Capt Jack's decision was heartbreaking and very unexpected.

I liked Lois Abiba quite a bit, I think she could be quite fun if there is more, and the MIlitary woman was great. Bridget surprised me quite a bit too

More news... I just read that Fox is planning a US version of Torchwood, with RTD doing the writing. John Barrowman may star. It would be active globally, rather than based mainly in the UK.

Also, hints that they may do a US version of The Doctor... :wtf: :eek: :scream: :rolleyes:

Well, if your question is aesthetic, I would say there could not be a US version. But, in the real world, if you want it bad enough, offer the people who own the rights enough money, and they agree, well, there you are, or there they are... Doctor Who becomes another in the long line of BBC shows remade and presented in the US. UGH!

Okay, so what would an American Dr. Who be like?

Well, first Fox would change his name to Doctor Which?

What would he wear? Lots of possibilities...

Retro:
Zoot Suit,
70's polyester and bells,
80s punk,
or grunge...
probably some dangley piercings,
maybe some tats

I'd vote for scarification, but doubtless Fox would see that as too foreign...

So, to sum it all up, I see him in a white Zoot Suit, multiple piercings in his lower lip, and, as a nod to tradition, a Tom Baker style scarf. I can't wait...:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I wonder how Fox would handle Captain Jack's proclivity for bisexual conquests?

Last edited:
Torchwood is being developed for Fox by BBC worldwide, which gives me hope. I hope Barrowman plays a decent role.

Keeping the five nights in a row format for Chlidren of Earth would be neat as well.

More news... I just read that Fox is planning a US version of Torchwood, with RTD doing the writing. John Barrowman may star. It would be active globally, rather than based mainly in the UK.

Also, hints that they may do a US version of The Doctor... :wtf: :eek: :scream: :rolleyes:

I don't think they can, actually. They could do a US spinoff of Torchwood (Torchwood 5, American Branch, or whatever), but they couldn't do an American Dr. Who because the BBC holds the exclusive rights. The 90s attempt at an American Who resulted from them renting the rights to Fox, and then BBC couldn't touch Who until the rights reverted to them. They're not about to do that again.

Have you got a link to the story you're talking about?

The way I heard it, it appeared that RTD would write and put forth the Pilot of Torchwood USA, and the UK Torchwood team may guest star in the Pilot, I didn't get the impression that RTD or Barrowman would be involved beyond the Pilot though? Do you have a link, all I've seen so far is word of mouth

US Version of the Dr again, really nervous about that one, they really pooped on canon with the last attempt (They forced themselves into having to adhere to canon, IMHO, when using Sylvester McCoy to turn into Paul McGann)

The way I heard it, it appeared that RTD would write and put forth the Pilot of Torchwood USA, and the UK Torchwood team may guest star in the Pilot, I didn't get the impression that RTD or Barrowman would be involved beyond the Pilot though? Do you have a link, all I've seen so far is word of mouth

Here you go; 'Torchwood' takes American turn.

I read that pretty much as you say.

While it's always nice to see talented writers get work, Torchwood's unique blend of nihilism and camp seems about as unsuited to Network TV as anything I can think of. Nor, frankly, is the fact that the original creator is writing the (first draft of the) script all that reassuring. I'm sure we all remember how the American version of Coupling worked out. :eek:

Last edited:
I dunno, I had high hopes for the Fox iteration of The Doctor in the '90s. Granted, it wasn't very good, but come on, how many pilot for genre shows are? The TNG pilot was utterly devoid of a plot, even "The Gathering" was pretty weak...they're tough to do. Add to this the tradition that "Regeneration" episodes of Dr. Who generally suck, and you've got a lot to work against.

Given that, I though they did a good job, not a great one, but a good one. I really liked Paul McGann as The Doctor, and the concept of him as a Byronesque Romantic was interesting. I would really have liked to have seen more.

Actually, I like the idea of franchises from one country going to another for continuation. Star Trek gotten stale? Have the next show be filmed in Japan, with Japanese writers and cast. None of the B5 spinoffs catching on? Take 'em to England. I'd happily settle for 5 13-episodes "Crusade" seasons with a slightly different sensibility...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back