• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Kings (new show on NBC)

GKarsEye

Regular
I saw this commercial on NBC for this new show called Kings. Now I don't care for network TV in general (only Lost and Friday Night Lights for me- it was during the latter I saw this commercial), but this commercial promised:

- Political intrigue
- Grandiose mythology. Apparently there's a king (hence the title) but it's modern day, possibly America, so we're looking at some big epic type of thing I'm thinking.
- All sorts of pretty cinematography.
- and most importantly- Ian McShane! aka Al Swearingen on Deadwood, aka that soul hunter from the B5 movie of the same name, aka the baddest actor on TV ever.

Ok I'm pretty much watching just because of him. Anyone else getting in on this with me? 2 hr series premiere is tonight at 8pm (I think- don't remember exactly, DVR is set). Come on, lets watch it and make fun of it and talk about cool McShane is. However since I'm... uh, entertaining... tonight, I may not have the time or energy to watch until tomorrow.

I'm going to check it out too. From what I have heard:

* It is modern day
* It is not America. It is not any country. From what I hear they go to pretty good lengths to not show landmarks or anything that would make people things its a particular country or area. Its not the point of the show to figure out which county it is, so they leave it ambiguous.
* It is basically a re-telling of the Bible story of David. But has been cautioned it is borrowing from it, not a complete retelling.

Either way, sounds interesting so I'm going to check it out.

I almost missed it but tuned in just in time... I never watch anything on Sunday night so i figured I'd give it a look & I liked what I saw so far. The writers will probably twist the crap out of it and make it unwatchable in a little bit, but for now it's going good.

I actually liked Ian McShane in Deadwood, I thought he was a great actor. It may have had something to do with the fact that he said at least 3 cuss words per sentence but... ahh..... well I guess I'm easily entertained.

Well this show is extremely corny, with the biblical references and comic-book feel, but it's entertaining. I tuned in for McShane and he delivered, especially when he threw David against the wall and give him that harangue combining high-falutin' King James Bible talk, threats, and over-protective daddy stuff.

An odd coincidence- I had watched Oz on DVD and noticed many of the actors in other roles on TV and the movies but was wondering what happened to the guy who played the leader of the Muslim faction- not the greatest actor but an imposing presence that really added to that cast. And then I tune in to Kings and see him as the reverend.

And then the end trailer told me everything that will happen this season. But then this show is not about keeping things close to the vest- we know exactly how this is going to play out and the fun, if they do it right, should be in simply watching it unfold. A big part of that is the main character. His awe-shucks attitude is kind of annoying, so he needs to be convincing as he starts to assert himself as an epic hero.

I saw this as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure this is a show I am going to be able to stick with. Its basically going to be a Prime Time soap like Dallas or Dynasty, and I just can't see myself enjoying it.

A couple small thoughts for now.

First, not a biblical but a historical reference: I thought it was somewhat amusing that the guy who stood up early at the meeting who the King stared down...then later had him killed...his last name was Fawkes.

Second. I'm totally digging on the Princess. She is a relatively unknown actress but man, she is every kinds of irresistible to me.

- and most importantly- Ian McShane! aka Al Swearingen on Deadwood, aka that soul hunter from the B5 movie of the same name, aka the baddest actor on TV ever.

It reallyt cracks me up to hear you talk about Lovejoy like that ...

lovejoy.jpg

Yeah thats right, your baddass swearing fella played an antiques dealer called Lovejoy. In the west country. In the 1980's. Guess that never reached your shores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovejoy

:D

The show sounds cool though. Based on King David ?

Side note about this show:

So apparently whatever country this is (I forget the name they made up) has no air force, or even much of an army. They just have......a bunch of foot soldiers. And as a result a freakin Tank, something that has been around since 1917, is some impossible force to defeat.

Anyone else find that more than just a bit odd?

Side note about this show:

So apparently whatever country this is (I forget the name they made up) has no air force, or even much of an army. They just have......a bunch of foot soldiers. And as a result a freakin Tank, something that has been around since 1917, is some impossible force to defeat.

Anyone else find that more than just a bit odd?

The name of the country is something like Gelboah or Gilboah, which is supposed to be like Gibeah, the city from which King Saul reigned. I don't know why they're using names that are slightly different than the Biblical or historical references- why not just use them if you're going to reference them?

But yes I did notice the whole army thing. In addition to what you said, can't Gelboah also have tanks? Obviously they set it up this way to shoe-horn the David vs Goliath imagery. I blame/credit Firefly for allowing me to view TV shows with incrompehensable mixes of technology and story.

It reallyt cracks me up to hear you talk about Lovejoy like that ...

lovejoy.jpg

Yeah thats right, your baddass swearing fella played an antiques dealer called Lovejoy. In the west country. In the 1980's. Guess that never reached your shores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovejoy

:D

The show sounds cool though. Based on King David ?

you forgot that he was also a gypsy, always cracks me up when i see him as the badass that is Al Swearengen.

just watched the first episode and i am seriously digging this show, the way the king has had to make all these sacrifices to see his vision become reality, and how that has destroyed the man he was, fucking A man. the princess chick is super hot too.

*bump*

New episodes back. Last one was a stinker IMO, but the one before that was pretty cool.

Anyone still watching?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back