• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

True Blood

GKarsEye

Regular
So HBO's big new show this fall will be something called True Blood. Its stars Anna Paquin (calm down, KF) and is about vampires, apparently. Being HBO I'll give it a shot though the premise looks retarded. Anyone else?

It's kind of funny to me how vampires have become cool with teenagers for some reason. If this show goes for that market, obviously I'll be out.

Oh, also forgot to mention that it's from the makers/producer/writers/whatever of Six Feet Under. I still have mixed feelings about that show.

Whenever there's a vampire show, I always put on my most snobbish and pretentious expression and say, "I preferred it in the original Whedon."

I might, however, track down a few screencaps. It is Anna, after all.

Whenever there's a vampire show, I always put on my most snobbish and pretentious expression and say, "I preferred it in the original Whedon."

I might, however, track down a few screencaps. It is Anna, after all.

yeah, because he invented vampires didn't he. *chortle, snicker*

Coming from the makers of Six Feet Under, I would check it out, but I dropped my two premium channels, to lower my cable bill $30/mo. My home heating bill is about to jump $56 per month. That's year round, because I'm on the budget plan.

Yea Whedon has by no means cornered the Vampire market. Although he did make 12 seasons worth of TV in that genre so he certainly is a huge part of it. But what about all the other TV shows? The Gazillion movies? Different variations on the Vampire story. The video games.

There is just so much of it out there that I just don't have any interest in watching any of it anymore. Buffy and Angel were the exceptions because they were recommended shows that just happened to be in that genre. All the other stuff just seems like variations of an overdone theme.

I don't have any problem at all with the premise of a Vampire show, creatures are a staple of fantasy stories and I never really tire of them. However I do have concerns with the fact that the creator of Six Feet Under is the man behind True Blood. SFU was a horrendous, horrendous show and this doesn't give me fluffy feelings for True Blood.

Sorry, the show was garbage and I'm going to call it as being garbage. If you liked it that's cool, but thanks to someone else liking it I was forced to suffer through every trite episode of SFU.

Last edited:
That would probably set my back up too... let me guess: girlfriend?

I'm well aware that Whedon's shows are scarcely alone, but once you've watched his stuff, why watch anything else?

I'm well aware that Whedon's shows are scarcely alone, but once you've watched his stuff, why watch anything else?

Most of my friends insisted I must watch Buffy, so I did. Rather unimpressed, even though I was much surprised when I (previously) watched the original film, and thought it WAY better than I expected. I watched all of Firefly, found it entertaining, even interesting at times, but not really special. But, that is my opinion. I'm not going to tee off on them, and say they were awful.

The first season of Six Feet Under was brilliant. It got progressively less inspired, more soap opera like for the rest of its seasons. But, it was still entertaining, even though I hate soap operas.

I have a friend who has a DVDR, and will probably watch True Blood. He was a SFU fan, too. I'll have to ask him to copy a few eps to -RW discs for me, so I can check it out. That is, if he is willing, after I ask him to copy Bill Maher for me, too. :D

Jade, how much of Buffy did you watch? The first season was definitely of inferior quality. Of course, if you didn't think Firefly was all that special, you probably wouldn't like Buffy all that much even at its height.

That said, even if you don't like Buffy, you've got to admit it was much better than all the rest of the TV cashing in on the vampire theme: none of those other shows ever tried an episode with no dialogue, for example. And "The Body" is still the best depiction of sudden death I've seen.

I don't think I could possibly disagree more with anything I have seen recently. Did you seriously mean what you just said? Because Joss Whedon did a couple TV shows about Vampires, that ruins the entire fucking genre now? Wait! He did Firefly! Fuck! I guess that means why bother watching any Sci Fi as well! Or Westerns for that matter.

I really hope that in my mild drunken state I missed some intended sarcasm there. But if you are serious, that's...well...just the sort of elitest arrogance I've come to expect from Whendon fans. Ya know. Like his shit is the only thing worth watching on the fucking planet and everything else is trash. And while I personally do like all his shows...I don't consider myself in that group of Whendon fans for that very reason.

Depends on how it's done. I'm sick of the stereotypes.

OMG, I'm a vampire, I can't TELL ANYONE and I go to clubs at night that are dark and play emo music.

And, I meet some guy who is so hot, but I CANNOT TELL HIM I AM A BLOODSUCKER. It's my secret for all time, even though he'd probably be cool with it.

The same old scene where the vampire has to feed off her love interest in order to survive (once season 7 hits and he finally KNOWS she's a vampire.)

I'll check it out, sure, but if it contains a bunch of the same crap, I'll lose interest. White Wolf had a great game concept. The television show sucked butt, but I always thought there would be a good audience for a nice, dark Masquerade animated show (like Spawn on HBO.)

I will say that if the guys from SFU are involved, I'll definitely give it a shot. SFU kicked so much ass.

Last edited:
It's kind of funny to me how vampires have become cool with teenagers for some reason. If this show goes for that market, obviously I'll be out.

Oh, also forgot to mention that it's from the makers/producer/writers/whatever of Six Feet Under. I still have mixed feelings about that show.

Vampires have been appealing to teens since the 80's when you had Whitley Streiber's The Hunger and Anne Rice's Vampire books. Junior High and High school outcasts (I was one, thank you,) were totally SUCKED in by that. Only now, they probably have to Dawson Creek-it up a bit in order to appeal to "normal audiences" who aren't wearing black every day and worshiping Brandon Lee.

I don't think I could possibly disagree more with anything I have seen recently. Did you seriously mean what you just said? Because Joss Whedon did a couple TV shows about Vampires, that ruins the entire fucking genre now? Wait! He did Firefly! Fuck! I guess that means why bother watching any Sci Fi as well! Or Westerns for that matter.

I really hope that in my mild drunken state I missed some intended sarcasm there. But if you are serious, that's...well...just the sort of elitest arrogance I've come to expect from Whendon fans. Ya know. Like his shit is the only thing worth watching on the fucking planet and everything else is trash. And while I personally do like all his shows...I don't consider myself in that group of Whendon fans for that very reason.

right on brother.

Back