• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS adapts Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"

Jan

Regular
On his Facebook page the other night, JMS confirmed that he's optioned and written a screenplay for Harlan Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman". The screenplay has been completed and has been sent out to studios, directors and producers with Harlan's blessing.

Harlan's never allowed this story to be optioned before, despite numerous reprintings and (I believe) a comic adaptation.

Jan

On his Facebook page the other night, JMS confirmed that he's optioned and written a screenplay for Harlan Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman". The screenplay has been completed and has been sent out to studios, directors and producers with Harlan's blessing.

Harlan's never allowed this story to be optioned before, despite numerous reprintings and (I believe) a comic adaptation.

Jan

Harlan loves Joe. Loves him. He told me once that Joe helped him out a lot when Harlan really needed it, and he really respects Joe as a writer. If there was ever anybody who'd be allowed to make this one into a movie, it'd be Joe.

Harlan loves Joe. Loves him. He told me once that Joe helped him out a lot when Harlan really needed it, and he really respects Joe as a writer. If there was ever anybody who'd be allowed to make this one into a movie, it'd be Joe.

Indeed. When it was mentioned on the Ellison Webderland site, Harlan wrote:

Harlan Ellison said:
Joe Straczynski is one of the finest men I've ever been privileged to know. He is one of, perhaps, ten people in my 76 years where the words "best friend" settle like angel dust.

Joe and I are pals. Though I know you'll find some way to alter the intent of this reply, because I think you are already wrong in your interpretation, Joe and I don't discuss money between us. He can have anything of mine he wants, except Susan; any time, to any degree.

Harlan Ellison

This was in response to somebody asking if Harlan was involved other than cashing a 'hopefully large' check.

Jan

Indeed. When it was mentioned on the Ellison Webderland site, Harlan wrote:

Harlan Ellison said:
Joe Straczynski is one of the finest men I've ever been privileged to know. He is one of, perhaps, ten people in my 76 years where the words "best friend" settle like angel dust.

Joe and I are pals. Though I know you'll find some way to alter the intent of this reply, because I think you are already wrong in your interpretation, Joe and I don't discuss money between us. He can have anything of mine he wants, except Susan; any time, to any degree.

Harlan Ellison

This was in response to somebody asking if Harlan was involved other than cashing a 'hopefully large' check.

Jan

That is just fantasic to read. Ellison can be a bit tempermental, I was wondering if he and Joe would end as friends when this was finished. Clearly, that's not an issue.
I really look forward to seeing this when it comes out. As a short, or a full-length film?

That is just fantasic to read. Ellison can be a bit tempermental, I was wondering if he and Joe would end as friends when this was finished. Clearly, that's not an issue.
I really look forward to seeing this when it comes out. As a short, or a full-length film?

My experience with Harlan is nothing but positive. He committed a breathtaking kindness when I was doing some fundraising for Jeanne Robinson (wife of Spider and co-author of the Stardance trilogy) last year. I've been reading his Pavillion site for several years now and seen him open and friendly and only occasionally testy when asked the same question for the bazzillionth time or (often deliberately) poked. Nice man.

Don't know the length as yet. I re-read the story as soon as I read the news and I think the adaptation to a visual medium shouldn't be too hard. In fact, it's great fun to visualize in your head as you read!

Jan

Obviously he's got a wrong side you don't want to be on, and it's said that it's really easy to end up there, but I always found the man to be very friendly, very outgoing, very polite, and very, very, very helpful, and funny as hell. The guy spent months trying to get something published for me, and making sure I got paid. Ultimately it didn't work, but name another luminary like him that would go out of their way to do something like that? With as much stuff as he's got to keep him busy?

Another time I said something naive about him on Big Hollywood or someplace, and he called me up laughing to correct me.

We're not best buddies, I've never been in the same room with him, but he's a great, great guy, and the impression I get is that it's really easy to stay on his good side: don't be a jackass, don't jerk him around, and don't screw with his work. He's never had a problem with JMS or Gaiman or Robin Williams, and he's known them forever and ever. How hard is that, really?

He's a mensch.

My experience with Harlan is nothing but positive. He committed a breathtaking kindness when I was doing some fundraising for Jeanne Robinson (wife of Spider and co-author of the Stardance trilogy) last year. I've been reading his Pavillion site for several years now and seen him open and friendly and only occasionally testy when asked the same question for the bazzillionth time or (often deliberately) poked. Nice man.

Jan

"Breathtaking Kindness" is a good way to put it. People always talk about his rages and whatnot, but no one ever talks about the Breathtaking Kindness. I don't think there's a living writer who's gone out of his way to help *new* writers as much as Harlan has. Even ones he doesn't particularly like personally.

Sorry, Joe, I just meant that sometimes friendships can be strained when working closely together on a project where one or both have a huge emotional attachment to the project.

And... there are rumors (though unjust, I know ;)) that Harlan can be a bit short-tempered. And opinionated. And rude. And... some things that might just strain a person a bit.

I'm glad to hear the stories have been exaggerated. I love his work, but think I'd be afraid to meet him. :LOL:

It doesn't sound like the "Ticktockman" script was a collaboration so I don't think that there would be a clash there. And JMS would be careful to preserve as much of Harlan's original words and sensibility as possible because he's never liked it when somebody re-wrote him. As he said back in 1994:

I figure my job in adapting something is to stay as close as possible to the original source, and not mess with it.

As to the other, Harlan is larger than life. He can be short-tempered, loud, opinionated, rude, nice, sweet kind and loving...pretty much like all of us. What's different with Harlan (in my very limited experience) is that he never seems to be indifferent and lives in high gear all the time.

Jan

Joe has also used Harlan's material before, on the Twilight Zone series in the 80s, and it worked out great. ("Crazy as a Soup Sandwich" is the episode).

It sounds pretty practical to take that attitude about scriptwriting. I would think it might be tempting to "show off" your skills a bit.

Joe has also used Harlan's material before, on the Twilight Zone series in the 80s, and it worked out great. ("Crazy as a Soup Sandwich" is the episode).

I didn't see much of that series, and I did not know that. That's one I've never heard of before. Thanks for the info. :)

Back