• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Gathering: Laurel Takashima

GKarsEye

Regular
While re-watching The Gathering, I vaguely remembered something being discussed at one point about how Laurel Takashima was somehow involved in the plot to assassinate Kosh and that she would've been Control had the character stayed. Accoring The Lurker's Guide:

When the assassin scans his hand at Varner's door, words are visible on the screen. If you have a lucid pause function on your VCR, you too will be able to read what they say - "Laurel Takashima Cleared".

I tried to catch this while watching the DVD on my PC and did not see this. Anyone else see this?

Yup, I've seen it, and without even having to pause it at the moment after the assassin opened the door.

Last edited:
Yes, Takashima was assisting the assassin and would've also been the one to shoot Garibaldi.

While browsing Lurker's Guide, JMS said that she might've been the one to shoot him directly or just been involved.

I watched Divided Loyalties recently, the one where Lyta comes back to expose Talia as Control. The whole episode is played up to misdirect us into thinking it's Ivanova. I hadn't realized that, during the original broadcast, so many fans both new that Takashima was planned to be evil and therefore expected Ivanova to be. I suppose it's possible JMS was toying the audience with that idea with the dream sequence where she tells Sheridan "do you know who I am?" Fans must've been assuming that was a foreshadow of her being an enemy, when in fact it was referring to her telepathic abilities.

Man does that whole episode just bugs me. I just hate the way Talia was yanked. Yes, I know, it's because the actress left, etc, but still. Heck, even in that episode, IIRC, Garibaldi remembered the VCR thing Kosh did, but then they didn't do anything with it. WTF? Just... ugh. It's the second worst character-pull of the series, after Ivanova of course.

That was just JMS giving himself a back-door for the back-door, in case Pat Tallman accidentally stepped in front of a bus or something.

While browsing Lurker's Guide, JMS said that she might've been the one to shoot him directly or just been involved.

I watched Divided Loyalties recently, the one where Lyta comes back to expose Talia as Control. The whole episode is played up to misdirect us into thinking it's Ivanova. I hadn't realized that, during the original broadcast, so many fans both new that Takashima was planned to be evil and therefore expected Ivanova to be. I suppose it's possible JMS was toying the audience with that idea with the dream sequence where she tells Sheridan "do you know who I am?" Fans must've been assuming that was a foreshadow of her being an enemy, when in fact it was referring to her telepathic abilities.

Man does that whole episode just bugs me. I just hate the way Talia was yanked. Yes, I know, it's because the actress left, etc, but still. Heck, even in that episode, IIRC, Garibaldi remembered the VCR thing Kosh did, but then they didn't do anything with it. WTF? Just... ugh. It's the second worst character-pull of the series, after Ivanova of course.

Thanks, this clears up something I have always wondered, which was why the mis-direct towards Ivanova being 'control'. I hadn`t watched The Gathering until after I had seen this ep, and didn`t make these connections. I just refused to believe Ivanova was evil...I loved the character too much.

I need to sit down and watch things in order. Can someone give me a guide as to where the movies fit into the timeline of the series? Or is there one posted here somewhere?

Thanks, this clears up something I have always wondered, which was why the mis-direct towards Ivanova being 'control'. I hadn`t watched The Gathering until after I had seen this ep, and didn`t make these connections. I just refused to believe Ivanova was evil...I loved the character too much.

I need to sit down and watch things in order. Can someone give me a guide as to where the movies fit into the timeline of the series? Or is there one posted here somewhere?

This thread should work for you

http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9892

You're welcome. And welcome to the site (If I haven't already said so previously), I thought I remembered seeing your name here and there on the site before, but, I see you only have 6 posts

Thanks for the welcome! This post will make 9 I think. I joined with the intention of mostly reading and not posting much, but I just can`t resist gabbing about one of my fav shows of all time, esp since I am starting my viewing over again.

The repeatability of this thing is stunning. I don't even know which iteration this is for me- 5?- but I watched War Without End last night and it still kicked my ass.

Back