• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 - Thirdspace

The nukes could have been for self destruction. They also could have been part of a resupply inventory for EarthForce ships. Among its many other functions B5 would have been designed to serve as a base for EF vessels in time of war and would have been equipped to supply them with necessities, possibly including nukes.

No, they were just for Nuke'em Sheridan's personal stash. :p ;)

I reckon this space thing must be an american thing:p

Seriously you don't see it on british boards a lot.I only started doing it here because somebody else complained.
This is how a new paragraph should be done;)

Hmmm ... you have clearly never read (or written) a letter from a British business.

:p

Originally Posted by crazyhorse said:
I reckon this space thing must be an american thing

Seriously you don't see it on british boards a lot.I only started doing it here because somebody else complained.
This is how a new paragraph should be done

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair said:
Hmmm ... you have clearly never read (or written) a letter from a British business.

My comments had nothing to do with line breaks after paragraphs and everything to do with CH's consistent failure to but a space after punctuation marks like periods and commas. I believe even the English have figured out the advantages of leaving spaces between sentences and clauses set off by punctuation marks. Well, most of them. :D

And no, as a matter of fact a new paragraph gets two line breaks to set it off. One is just a new line. :) You'll find this is all generally how books, newspapers, magazines and readable internet posts do it - on both sides of the Atlantic, even for texts printed in such barbarous toungues as French, Spanish and Italian. :D

Regards,

Joe

I was blasted in highschool typing for not putting two spaces after every period. After that, no one cared and I tended to slip into using just one.

And I do skip posts that have no spaces/paragraph breaks in them. It's just not worth the trouble to read, I figure.

I was blasted in highschool typing for not putting two spaces after every period. After that, no one cared and I tended to slip into using just one.

But they let you type "highschool" as one word? :) (Sorry, I seem to be wearing my Amy Nitpicker Hat (tm) today. ;))

Actually, with everybody using computers and proportional spacing these days, the old "two spaces after a sentence" rule is rapidly being replaced by one space as the standard. A number of style manuals and typing courses now specify this, and I think MS Word will flag two spaces as a error (although I think there might be an optional over-ride for the old and fastidious. ;))

Regards,

Joe

And I do skip posts that have no spaces/paragraph breaks in them. It's just not worth the trouble to read, I figure.

Ya know, I've been looking for years for someone to acknowledge being taught two spaces after a period. MS Word has even tried correcting me on it. I remember asking so many people why Word was saying it was wrong to use two spaces, that I was sure I was taught to use two, and no one acknowedged I was correct.

Edit: Oh, I guess JDM posted pretty much the same thing while I was typing my reply.

Ya know, I've been looking for years for someone to acknowledge being taught two spaces after a period. MS Word has even tried correcting me on it. I remember asking so many people why Word was saying it was wrong to use two spaces, that I was sure I was taught to use two, and no one acknowedged I was correct.

Yea, they took away the same points they would as if you had typed the wrong letter.

And is "double-spaced" typing something the young ones here won't even know about? As in one line of typing (probably around font 10, I guess, to give an idea of the size) then the next line skipped and left empty, then a typed line, then another blank one, etc.

And is "double-spaced" typing something the young ones here won't even know about? As in one line of typing (probably around font 10, I guess, to give an idea of the size) then the next line skipped and left empty, then a typed line, then another blank one, etc.
Probably, the MS Word equivalent is to set the interline gap in the paragraph settings.

I checked the space thing out and it appears you are right,everyone does it:eek:

The eye sickness is worse than I thought:rolleyes:

I blame it on the fact that I was taught how to write,not type:p

Seriously,I studied English Language and Literature to a fairly high level at one point although it has all gone to shit as I speak bloody foriegn all day every day.I even dream in a mix of spanish,dutch and english :rolleyes: To make matters worse my spanish is really bad:LOL:

A new paragraph should always begin with first a space is how I was taught.Another new paragraph would be denoted by starting a new line with the aforementioned space.There is no need to use spaces for "Grammar".
I was taught english properly by the way,not any foriegn version:p

A line or two depending on personel choice would be used to seperate a sub chapter in a piece of text.

That is how you are supposed to WRITE,I'm pretty new to this whole computor world.I see a lot of what is termed in Britain as "text speak".This forum uses very little of it but it still shows some.Even I have started to use BTW and LOL at times just because I type so slowly.I also know,having studied the subject,that language,grammar and it's usage is forever evolving so what is correct never is for long.

At least we know how to talk about Hypatia without her knowing now ;)

I do know how to spell colour though:LOL:

Last edited:
Now is some weird editor on because I deliberatly started two sentances with a space before the first letter.They have disapeared :confused:

Yea, they took away the same points they would as if you had typed the wrong letter.

I've heard that Publishers prefer to get manuscripts double spaced, so, I if that's true, I'm sure they are at least introduced to the concept.

I too was taught to put two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. I pretty much always do it, and usually all automatically as I rarely have to think about where any of the keys are when I type. I think that the second of the two spaces is removed though when what I type up gets actually posted to the board here.

Young college students certainly still know about it! All my professors demanded it.

I was taught to do two spaces after a period, but with the overtones of "this is sheer grammar-nazi idiocy, you don't really have to do it." I did it for a while, but I haven't for years.

Now is some weird editor on because I deliberatly started two sentances with a space before the first letter.They have disapeared :confused:

That is a problem with this sort of bulletin board, leading and multiple spaces are removed. It makes typing in tables difficult.

[TTY]Test
4 spaces a
2 spaces b
1 spaces c
[/TTY]

TTY command is not supported, pity.

TTY is the abbreviation for Teletype, the manufacture of the old printing terminals. All the characters were the same size and you could have multiple spaces. It is a HTML command.

Back