• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Andreas Katsulas Dies

A sad day indeed :(

G'Kar had a profound effect on me (and many others I'm sure) as he evolved throughout the story. Andreas really made G'Kar come alive, I don't think another could have done the job he did.

Exactly 2 years ago today, my mother died. I remember I was trying to write a speech for her funeral but words escaped me. I then thought, "what would G'Kar say", and I was immediately inspired - many people said how beautiful it was and did justice to her memory.

For someone I have never met, to touch me so profoundly shows you the immense talent he had.

He will surely be missed by all.

JMS's post regarding Andreas' death:

Title: Andreas Katsulas is gone
Author: jmsatb5@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:52:01 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <1139952717.976416.227510@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a
passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer,
which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at
once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was
little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very
good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that
I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about
his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me,
Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and
good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him
because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we
knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his
eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good
work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the
planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many
cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be
private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play
that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

Sure anyone could have played G'Kar, but it wouldn't be as good. :)

I was completely unaware about the big C... quite a shocker to me.

Tonight, as a little "tribute," maybe I'll dig in some of my fave G'Kar scenes, like when Delenn tells him about their decision to keep knowledge of the Shadows secret, allowing his world to be decimated...

... or the one we're discussing in the Rock Cried Out thread about him describing how to kill Refa

... or his speech at the end of season 3

... or his Braveheart moment in the council after Londo ejects him

... or slamming the book in that moron cultist's face

... or laughing at the small-minded idiocy of those who wanted to elevate him to tyranny after the assassination of Cartagia.

and while we're mentioning his other work, for some real goofiness, check out Mafia, a spoof of, um, mafia movies, in the style of Naked Gun. Katsulas has a brief role as the movie's equivalent of the white-suited old-school gangster that Robert Deniro kills and usurps in Godfather II.

Truly sad indeed that he has gone so quickly. Some time ago someone posted a thread and I replied to and VacantLook informed me of the request for privacy and that the thread would be deleted. Today is a sadder day than that was.

A truly emotive actor, to put through so much under all that makeup. I don't recall seeing any of his other work aside from I believe a Romulan on one of the new Star Trek Series, and I quite enjoyed him in that role as well.

The Universe of Babylon 5 has been hit hard in the last few years, but as stated we have our memories and we have our DVDs to make them all immortal to us.

Thanks for posting JMS quote about this Jan. Reading through it I couldn't help but be reminded of Sleeping in Light when they all have one last get-together knowing it would would be the last time they would see Sheriden.

He played that Romulan character more than once for Star Trek: The Next Generation, I believe.

The posts I've read here and at other boards make me think of the old song "Night Shift". As long as he continues to inspire young folk, then he's just playing on the Night Shift. And from what I've read over the years about him, he really inspired a lot of people in very meaningful ways. :cool:

Another great actor is gone. I remember watching him as Tomalak on TNG as a kid. He played a great villain...but an even greater hero in G'Kar. G'Kar's development over the course of the series was a true testament to the ability of the actor, even under layers of latex prosthetics. He was one of the best actors I've seen, and by all accounts, an even better person.

My thanks to Joe for keeping watch...your burden's been lifted.

I think it was a measure of his ability that when the producers of TNG were planning "All Good Things..." they asked Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes which guest actor from previous episodes they would most like to see reappear for the final episode. One name immediately came to both their lips: Andreas Katsulas.

Sad news indeed. Andreas was a great actor, and he will be missed. No one could have played G'Kar as well as he did. G'Kar was the great character he was because of Andreas.

I watched "The Paragon of Animals" last night before I heard the news. I loved some of the little things that Andreas did in that episode. One of my favorite lines he ever delivered was when Londo corrected his spelling in the Declaration of Principles: "Go away. Oppress someone else."

Nuances were his gift, even more impressive behind all of that makeup.

This is sad news indeed. I have been watching the dvds while I eat dinner. Last night I watched the episode Dust to Dust in which we see G'Kar finally see the light. Kosh shows him. Andreas will be missed.

There is another thread about the worst part of being a boomer. For me it's the quickening of endings, of lost friends and heros. Although Andreas is gone, G'Kar will endure.

Back