• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Non aligned? what's that mean

jnk5y

Regular
Non aligned? what\'s that mean

Ok what's up with the non aligned worlds? Why are they non aligned and what does that mean? Why aren't the minbari, centauri, narn, and earthers considered non aligned?

By the way it took me 10 minutes to find the post button. But i must say i do like the new messageboard. Good job antony

Re: Non aligned? what\'s that mean

That is something that always confused me. The Brakiri, for example, were alligned with Earth and had defense treaties.

Non-aligned can also be read as independent.
Smaller worlds which are not dependant on others,
and created a common organisation to keep it that way.

Because in the past, larger worlds have proven a threat to them. During the height of their empire 500 years ago, the Centauri subjugated tens of small civilisations. The Dilgar even destroyed some. Earth and Narn too have forced their influence onto others. In the past thousand years, only the Minbari have refrained from conquering. Due to their peculiar and highly stable govenment. And because their power does not come from numbers or territory.

Such a situation warrants at least some form of common defense. In peacetime, the non-aligned worlds disagree at best (and sometimes ruthlessly fight). But if threatened by a common enemy, they sometimes support each other, becoming a significant force.

Non-aligned. Could that mean that they were not major colonizers? The "aligned" worlds are, essentially, empires that span many systems.

Maybe?

The idea for the League of Non-Aligned Worlds comes from the United Nations - on which the B5 Council was modelled. The "big five" are like the Security Council, the League worlds a bit like the General Assembly. From the 50s until around the time the Soviet Union went out of business, there was a shifting group of "non-aligned" nations, supposedly beholden to neither the Communist East or the capitalist West. India and Egypt were big players in the non-aligned nations movement (although in practice both vacillated between working with the U.S. or the U.S.S.R.) For a long time Castro, of all people, was the unofficial leader of the group - which will give you an idea of how "non-aligned" they are.

The League Worlds are similarly not clients of any of the big powers, or formally beholden to them - although they may certainly have treaties of various kinds with any or all of them (as nearly all of the Third World "non-aligned" U.N. nations did.)

Regards,

Joe

Joe, is there anything you don't know?

I think we should be told, if only so the rest of us don't go on and on feeling completely inadequate.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

thanks for the info joe. We should organize a stump joe contest. Lets see who can come up with a question about b5 that joe doesn't know.

What is the average power output of an Earth Alliance Omega-class Destroyer laser? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Definately Non-Aligned.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, "non-aligned" in both cases.

And I have no idea what the energy output of the whatchamacalllit referenced above is. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

It's at the B5 Tech Manual web site under science. There is some messed up stuff there!

It's at the B5 Tech Manual web site under science. There is some messed up stuff there!

<hr></blockquote>
Depends how much of that site you're willing to accept as canon. I think for some of the data they asked Tim Earls (who designed some of them).

Yeah, sure they use proper units and they explain how stuff works physically, but the actual figures are speculation (or come from sources that speculate).

Why do I bother?

<hr></blockquote>
Dunno /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif. I'm not saying they lied, just made educated guesses which are not the absolute honest-to-god facts.

Back