• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

season 1 and 5 similarities

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *Sigh*:
<font color=yellow>speaking of triluminaries and changes.
why is it Delenn went half/half but Sinclair turn in to a full Minbari? do you think if Delenn would have stayed in the thing longer she would have become fully human?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I don't hink Sinclar changed into a full Minbari. If i remember correctly, Franklin said something about how the Crysalis could not completly change someones genetic makeup.

Human souls started leaking into Minbari bodies 1000 years ago with the arrival of Valen, stated by Delenn and Lennier to Sheridan. To me this implies that Sinclair was still partially human, and thus human dna was mixed into the Minbari gene pool, and thus, human souls being born into Minbari bodies.

Of course, one could argue that it had nothign to do with genetics and it was spiritual. But JMS always tends to leave the door open, leaving room for either explanations. So it seems to me than in order for this to work Sinclair could not fully become a Minbari.

My try with the replies.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>why is it Delenn went half/half but Sinclair turn in to a full Minbari? do you think if Delenn would have stayed in the thing longer she would have become fully human? <hr></blockquote>In my opinion, both changed as far as they could. Which means pretty much fully. You may ask: how do I know this? Easy. Because Delenn's child was basically Human and Valen's children were basically Minbari. They had only a few traces of their parents' original genes left.

But some things cannot be changed. Upon transforming an adult person, you cannot rebuild everyhting. Quite obviously, you cannot rebuild the brain. The person has to remain who he/she was. You must make the old brain compatible with a new body.

You cannot rebuild bones. They are solid and permanent, and your only frame of reference. They determine organ placement. Upon justified need, some can be remodeled, but you cannot rebuild them all. Doing that, you would lose your frame of reference, not knowing where to put the lungs, heart, arms, legs or head. It would force the reconstruction to start from an earlier stage, which might destroy the central nervous system... which would be unacceptable.

So in my opinion, Sinclair became almost fully Minbari. Human external traits disappeared easily, completely replaced by Minbari traits. Delenn became almost fully Human, but Minbari external traits were more persistent. Some of them stayed.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Human souls started leaking into Minbari bodies 1000 years ago with the arrival of Valen...<hr></blockquote>Genes are not souls. Even if the Minbari consider them part of the soul, that could not be a large part. I think that the "souls" which they saw were thoughts and ideas. One thousand years ago, Human concepts, thoughts and ideas entered the Minbari civilisation through Sinclair. A thousand years later, the Minbari way of understanding things reached the Humans via Delenn, balancing the game.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lennier:
<font color=yellow>

Genes are not souls. Even if the Minbari consider them part of the soul, that could not be a large part. I think that the "souls" which they saw were thoughts and ideas. One thousand years ago, Human concepts, thoughts and ideas entered the Minbari civilisation through Sinclair. A thousand years later, the Minbari way of understanding things reached the Humans via Delenn, balancing the game.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I didn't say souls were genes. I was giving both standpoints, the scientific one (genes) and the spiritual one (souls)

The creators of the triluminaries probably had samples of Sinclair's DNA to work with. Delenn was born well after they were made and as far as we know made no trips into the past.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
<font color=yellow>The creators of the triluminaries probably had samples of Sinclair's DNA to work with. Delenn was born well after they were made and as far as we know made no trips into the past.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I tend go for the scientific explanation myself

I have not entirely ruled out the use of generic knowledge about Human and Minbari biology... but using samples from the individuals actually needing the device would have probably simplified building.

You see, if a device can perform such a complex operation, we may safely assume it can perform it on any member of a species. At least I would not hard-wire it for any particular marker. It might end up making the device useless.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back