• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Changeling News

The term 'Changeling' goes far back, particularly in Irish/Celtic mythology of faeries exchanging human children for golums.

Jan

The term 'Changeling' goes far back, particularly in Irish/Celtic mythology of faeries exchanging human children for golums.

Jan

Indeed. And aren't there tales of people turning into horses, vice versa, and fish turning into people? Probably the Kelpie is the best known changeling, but there are lots of other changeling myths.

Changeling didn't win the big one at Cannes, but they created a special prize, or two I guess, and gave one to Catherine Denueve, and the other to Clint Eastwood, for directing Changeling. So, another feather in JMS' cap. :thumbsup:

Hey, but its there dammit! :)

I only say that because I believe that the term "Changeling" was derived from the real-life events this movie was based on. So Star Trek, by borrowing the term, took some of its inspiration from those events.

Kirk even mentions that a Changeling is an ancient Earth legend - a faerie left in place of a human child.

The cuckoo does this in the wild as well. When mana and papa bird are gone, it will toss out the egg and replace it with its own. The stupid birds with raise the fledgeling cuckoo even when it grows to 5 times their size.

I'd hesitate to call that stupidity. Zoos have found it very handy when animals are willing to raise even entire litters that aren't their own.

Yes, in birds it's a matter of fooling them perhaps. Or perhaps it's just the parental instinct being put above all else. But I hate to hear it simplified to "the stupid bird".

Yes, in birds it's a matter of fooling them perhaps. Or perhaps it's just the parental instinct being put above all else. But I hate to hear it simplified to "the stupid bird".

Some types of bird have learnt to reject litters whose nest has been disturbed. The cuckoo leaves them alone.

I'd hesitate to call that stupidity. Zoos have found it very handy when animals are willing to raise even entire litters that aren't their own.

Despite the fact that a bird's brain can be removed through it's eyesocket, I apologize for my insensitive attack on the avian community.

:LOL:

Ah, no it was more the concept of raising young that you've bonded to, but are not of your breed, that I sincerely hope is not "stupid". ;)

:LOL:

Ah, no it was more the concept of raising young that you've bonded to, but are not of your breed, that I sincerely hope is not "stupid". ;)

You'd really have to see this on film, though. I was trying to find it on the net, but basically they show a time lapse of the adoptive birds feeding this thing, and it gets larger, and larger, and LARGER until its ass is literally hanging out of the nest like an elephant sitting in a bathtub. I guarantee you the "S" word might cross your mind at least once. :)

Geeze, I saw there was a bunch of posts to this thread, so I expected some Changeling news. Instead, I find a bunch of birdbrains have all gone cuckoo! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Just got back from seeing "Changeling" (no "The"). All in all a good solid drama, and a story that simply leaves you with your mouth hanging open several times throughout the film. However, I think jms may have tried too hard to tell the entire story of the case and, as a result, the film runs a little long (2 hrs, 20 min) and the emotional impact seems muted or dilluted - it's a little hard to explain. The film doesn't seem to hit the gut-wrenching emotion you would expect, especially considering the primal and visceral response the events in this film should elicit. Perhaps it's Clint Eastwood's directorial style or his misplaced jazz music that drops the emotional ball - don't get me wrong, it's a good film, a great story, and I'm happy for jms - it's just not the home run I was hoping for.

4 out of 5, Joe Bob says check it out.

Another Joe Bob Briggs fan! :D

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't argue too much with your review, except to say that by what I've read and heard, JMS realized there was no way he could tell the entire story, and had to leave out a lot. Two of my favorite films are about 3.5 hours long, so length per se doesn't bother me.

I was glad to see that the film is a long one. I've come to despise the 90-minute barely-more-than-a-TV-episode movies that the theaters are so fond of. I remember when two hours was standard and the length of 'Changeling' would hardly be worth commenting on.

BTW, Harlan Ellison has nice things to say about it over on his Dining Pavillion.

Jan

Yeah, Jade, sorry to report there is no Jolie multiple-aardvarking to report in this film.

It's a lengthy film, although not unusual for these days where longer seems to be the trend in everything.
I think Joe donned his reporter hat in this one, and was really attempting to be thorough and accurate in all areas and as a result the story jumps around a lot and that's sort of where I feel the viewer can become detached.

Of course, my opinions are tainted by high expectations - this guy HAS made me cry before.

Furthering the concept of jms's need for accuracy is the tag at the start of the film:

CHANGELING

A True Story

Not "Based on" which can mean just about anything.

Back