• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Guards and Telepaths

Strifeguard

Beyond the rim
Okay, I searched the forums already, and I don't *think* that this was discussed before (at least not this aspect), but I have to admit skimming a few of the longer threads, so if it was, I apologize.

Now, I know that JMS doesn't go into what-ifs, or might-have-beens when it comes to cast changes, that said...

Does anyone else believe that the love-interest plot line between Zack and Lyta was originally one-and-the-same as the psuedo love-interest that Garibaldi showed Talia? I mean, aside from the obvious head-of-security-resident-telepath similarity, in both instances the male character was clearly the interested party while the female character did her own thing (Talia had Ironheart, and past love-interesets, Lyta had Byron).

Okay, also, this now getting into my personal beliefs, I am of the opinion that while Zack ultimately loses the girl, Garibaldi might have won her. Am I alone in this belief? Do others agree? Would it have played out the same?

I dont think Garibaldi might have won her, he had to marry Lise and become the CEO of Edgards Industries before the end of the show.

I remember reading somewhere that because after Talia left,they made Jeff go ga-ga over Lyta(when she got back),so they would be a symatry...or something like that....so it's 2 security guys after 2 telepathic girls

According to the Series Bible from the beginning Lyta was due to have a boy friend, this appears to have been Byron and a girl friend Ivanova. Ivanova was due to bed Byron.

That is a scene that we never saw - the two lovers Lyta and Ivanova fighting over Byron.

That is a scene that we never saw - the two lovers Lyta and Ivanova fighting over Byron.

The thought of that is enough to make me grateful that Claudia left! A truly revolting idea!
frown.gif
shocked.gif

According to the Series Bible from the beginning Lyta was due to have a boy friend, this appears to have been Byron and a girl friend Ivanova. Ivanova was due to bed Byron.

That is a scene that we never saw - the two lovers Lyta and Ivanova fighting over Byron

Yuck!Byron is really not worth fighting over

I did always wonder how a relationship between Garibaldi and Talia would have worked, especially given Garibaldi's distrust of telepaths.

However, if Ivanova and Lyta had fought over Byron, how would Ivanova have handed the whole telepath-thing? Remember how she never wanted to "share" anyone else's love for her, after her mother. Would she become comfortable with Byron in her mind after they had grown sufficiently close? Or would Lyta ultimately win because Ivanova could never handle it? Either way, I don't think I'd like the result.

Okay, also, this now getting into my personal beliefs, I am of the opinion that while Zack ultimately loses the girl, Garibaldi might have won her.

Just FYI Garibaldi did actually get the girl. Jerry Doyle was married to Andrea Thompson for a time.

Yeah, then Jerry Doyle dumped her before she left the prime of her looks... and ditched B-5. I always liked Lyta better anyway!

It seems like Andrea Thompson can't be happy anywhere... left B5, left Jag, left NYPD, and now left Headline News in a spat. It looks like Jerry made a good move by "moving on"...

-Tim

Playing "what might have been" is always fun, but in the end it's just guessing. In one article I read that Jerry Doyle was the one pushing for a romance with Talia and JMS wasn't too keen on it.
If that's true, then I don't think the Zack/Lya romance was planned ahead of time. When JMS was writing Thirdspace he had to put in a 3 or 4 minute scene and he dreamed up the elevator scene with Zack and Lyta because they were the only actors on the set and ready to roll.
That doesn't sound like long term planning.

I also read that Claudia was going to be interested in Byron at the beginning, but she soon realized he couldn't replace Marcus. Lyta was also intrigued with Byron but the two ladies never were supposed to fight over him. ugh

Your're telling me I could have seen Lyta.Ivanova action!

Im gonna go cry for the missed oppurtunities. :(

Back