• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My review of Nemesis SPOILERS AHEAD : BEWARE !!!

DaRkEnEdStAr

Regular
SPOILERS AHEAD PLEASE IF YOU DONT WISH TO KNOW PRESS THE BACK BUTTON NOW .

I went to see nemesis last night and to be quite honest I`m dissapointed . In my view i don`t believe there will be another star trek film with the crew of tng . the story was ok , but for a star trek film it didn`t have the "thing" that it usually has . There was something missing , It was more like a tv movie . The characters were weak , bad dialogue between the actors , cracking story , It ended very abruptly i thought . For instance when data blew up on the ship , There was no emotion or any feel of loss as you experience when you know somebody who has just died . The special effects imho covered up the cracks in the screenplay . The directing was a hell of a lot better than the previous movies in wich were bad i think . Now it was a good film beter than 1st contact and insurrection but i was still disapointed with it as it will be the last .

I haven't seen Nemesis, but as I have said elsewhere, these actors are twenty years older than they were when TNG first went on the air. At that time they were mainly in their early thirties, now they are in their fifties.
They have slowed down and lost their zing. The romance of Riker and Troi should have kindled romantic feeling but I gather from others it was just rather embarassing.

When you compare the TNG actors with the young people in Harry Potter and The Two Towers, you have to realize Picard is almost old enough to be their grandfather. IMO there is a place for the older characters but not as the young heroic type, but as the older, wiser mentor who imparts wisdom and experience to his young charges.

Although I have been a Trek fan for longer than most, I have finally lost interest and I can't even be bothered to watch Enterprise, though I have given it a good shot. Frankly, I find it boring.

I still consider myself of trekkie, but I gave up on the franchise a couple of years ago. For some reason, the powers-that-be seem utterly incapable of giving fans what they want to see. A good example of that is the second season of Enterprise. So far, I have seen a direct rip-off of "Enemy Mine," five or six episodes that are re-treads of Voyager and TNG episodes, and a bunch of episodes that made no sense whatsoever. I read the script for Nemesis last year, so I knew back then that it wasn't going to be a good movie. I dunno, everytime I talk about Trek it feels like I'm giving a eulogy for someone that hasn't died yet.

I'd like to point out that Harrison Ford seems to be doing pretty well in his action-based roles. I have no idea if he can pull of an other Indian Jones movie, but he's an older actor who seems to have no problems at all pulling in an audience to see him in his more exciting and action-based roles.

The death blow to Star Trek, IMHO, are the writers. They are just filming awful scripts.
frown.gif
On the big or small screen.
frown.gif
frown.gif

these actors are twenty years older than they were when TNG first went on the air. At that time they were mainly in their early thirties, now they are in their fifties.
They have slowed down and lost their zing. The romance of Riker and Troi should have kindled romantic feeling but I gather from others it was just rather embarassing.

I really don't see the relevance between the actors' ages since the first episode of TNG - well, except Data. Have you seen Star Trek XI by any chance? Kirk, Bones and Scotty didn't exactly look fresh out of the can.

As far as the story for Nemesis goes (I have not seen it either, I must admit), I have heard a good deal of footage was cut from the first edit - including all of Wesley's scenes, which is a blessing in a way. Perhaps the scenes will appear on the DVD.

Personally, I find it irritating that Hollywood deigns it necessary to cut up films because "the story wasn't moving along fast enough". Then again, I have an attention span longer than the average six-year-old.
rolleyes.gif

Re: My review of Nemesis SPOILERS AHEAD : BEWARE

these actors are twenty years older than they were when TNG first went on the air

actually, they're only 15 years older.

first aired late 1987
now is early 2003 (filming concluded in 2002)

they are 15 years older (16 years in august/september)

Re: My review of Nemesis SPOILERS AHEAD : BEWARE

I watched Nemesis in the theater when it came out and I was suprised when I entered and found the theater only half full. From Wrath of Khan to Insurrection I had always been in a packed theater. It seems that perhaps maybe people chose not to see it even before it had been released. I don't want to give anything away to those who have not watched it, but the previews made it out to be more exciting and interesting than it really was. I honestly tried to like it since I'm a trekker as well. At the end I didn't walk out with the exhilaration I normally have after watching my second fav crew in action.

Although I have been a Trek fan for longer than most, I have finally lost interest and I can't even be bothered to watch Enterprise, though I have given it a good shot. Frankly, I find it boring.
I'm the same way now as well. I watched the first season thinking that the premise could be used to tell some really unique stories about Trek. The beginnings of exploration would have been rocky I would imagine and I'm sure that the crew might have influenced or changed more cultures evolution. In TOS it seemed like they were visiting planets with lesser technology then their own but in Enterprise everyone seems to be superior. This season I think I have only watched 2 or 3 episodes. If it continues, here's to hoping that perhaps it will get better and find some new writers who won't be rehashing old TNG or Voyager plots.

Back