• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

G'Kar's name...

Lyta

G\'Kar\'s name...

I was digging around in the jmsnews archives and found this little tidbit of info that I never knew before:

May.5.1992
<font color="orange"> So let's see...I think I've covered all of the Ambassadors: Londo, Jackarr (I'm thinking of re-spelling his name G'kar), Kosh and Delenn.</font color>

That spelling certainly gives a different image in my head than G'kar but maybe that is because I am used to the spelling for his name now. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Re: G\'Kar\'s name...

Yes, it was "Jackarr" from the earliest versions. That, and "Londo Collari", Vorlons with mates and other details changed between the original pitch materials and the pilot and series. Interesting to consider how different the show might have been.

Regards,

Joe

The secretive Vorlons are a group not to be trusted. A massive power struggle is going on among their upper echelons where advancement is only accomplished by assassination. They seek to eliminate the Earth Alliance and solidify themselves as heads of the Empire

Whoa where did this come from? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When JMS original prepared his bid to make Babylon 5 the documents showed Vorlons as 3 fingured bipeads. The dalek form did not appear until the started filming "The Gathering". The stuff about promotion by assasination was in the press releases.

Yeah, I remember that. I think I have a magazine or something that talks about stuff like that. It tells about stuff like what JMS was originally going to call G'Kar and Londo, that Delenn was supposed to be an androgynous alien and change into a female when she became part human, all kinds of stuff like that. It even shows original sketches of characters and ships. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wow, that could have been a different show... half the mythology would have been changed.

I'm fond of "What If?" in history, but "what ifs?" in stories always bug me. The story came out more or less how the author intended, and if it didn't, they will usually tell us why and where so we know. Old drafts, things that were later revised for the better -- that's kind of like scaffolding on a new building. Some people might be interested in the technical processes, but by and large it's ugly and detracts from the finished product.

Or that's how I see it, anyway.

I usually don't like those "what if" threads either but this was more of a comment about how a name is spelled. With one spelling, I get one image of the character and with another, I get an entirely different image. Maybe it is a bit unfair since I have already associated the character with the "G'Kar" spelling.

Still, it is funny how such a subtle change can make a big difference. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do a little writing for fun and I know from experience when I rough out a character, the first thing I do is give him/her a name. I might call him Jim in my mind, but later I will change the name to fit the character better, In the case of G'kar the original spelling is pronounced the same so JMS knew what he wanted but decided it would look better in the shortened form. I think we all agree it looks more alien.

Absolutely! It looks more alien, or foreign to me at least.

I am also one who thinks it is ridiculous not to accept that writers actually can change their minds from time to time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

To me, this is more the sign of a good writer, not a bad one. I don't know how you can write that specifically (with the detailed arcs) and yet so flexibly. JMS is a genius, in my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am also one who thinks it is ridiculous not to accept that writers actually can change their minds from time to time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

WTF? I re-read this thread a number of times to try to see where you are getting this from but failed. As far as I can tell, no one was saying that JMS didn't have the right to change his mind on how a character's name is spelled. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't think hypatia was referring to anyone/any post in this thread, but rather in a more general sense - some people (not necessarily any here) seem to hold this view that once a writer puts the first notes down on paper, the "original" story is not allowed to change at all.

Not everything that someone says in a thread has to be directly related to any previous posts in that thread, IMHO.

I know not everything in a thread has to do with whatever has been posted before but it helps if you can sorta see a connection.

Her comment just seemed out of the blue and directed at someone or something said here. "I am also one who..." sounded like she was agreeing with a comment that I couldn't see what she was referring to.

I dunno. Maybe someone edited out the thing she was referring to. *shrug*

Nah... looked more like a stray side-thought to me. But of course, I can't speak for anyone but myself, so I may be the delusional one here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lyta, particularly at the moderated group and this board before Antony changed over and we all knew Rangers had no future, I saw debates that blew my mind.

So no, Lyta, I was not commenting on any comment in this thread. The changed plotline discussion and the changed names just reminded me of how some fans really got mad when you suggested that JMS made a little mistake or changed his mind on some point.

Thanks for clarifying. It just really threw me that you brought it up when no one that I could tell had suggested such a thing.

Sorry for bringing up such bad memories by starting this topic. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Not bad memories, Lyta, just a very surprised hypatia at just how angry some can get when you suggest, ever so slightly, the author might have actually changed his mind.

I have seen someone at the moderated group accuse Joe D of lieing. He seems to think JMS "said this" or "said that" but never could recall, I think, where he thought he heard it from.

Anyhow, I think that JMS's magic is his flexibility. In a show like MASH, that might be easier to do. It's a war, people get transferred. People get their points and go home. People go crazy and get discharged.

But when you have a real "arc" story, to remain flexible is a matter of genius in my humble opinion. To be ready to lose any character when needed while still telling an arc story just amazes me.

And it should. I may never see anything quite like it again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back