• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What's the most likely premiere date for the series?

What\'s the most likely premiere date for the series?

"To Live and Die in Starlight" could air as early as 4th quarter 2001, but what about the Rangers series itself (assuming it gets picked up)? JMS said that it would probably start filming in February or March, so I'm guessing that it probably wouldn't premiere any early than June 2002 (like Crusade, only three years later). But I was wondering if someone who's more familiar with the SciFi Channel's scheduling could weigh in on this. Does SFC tend to follow the broadcast networks' fall-to-spring season at all, or does it do things completely differently?

------------------

Re: What\'s the most likely premiere date for the series?

Farscape starts it's new season in June, and I seem to remember Sliders starting in June as well. Those are the only two "original" Sci Fi shows I follow(ed), but it certainly seems like the channel likes debuting its new seasons in the summer, probably hoping it can establish audiences who aren't in the mood for summer repeats.

June 2002 sounds like the earliest, I would think.

------------------
"The war is never completely won. There are always new battles to be fought against the Darkness. Only the names change."

Also, the telemovie is looking to be around a December release BTW.

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

quote:
--------------------------------------------
June 2002 sounds like the earliest, I would think.

OK, does anyone know of cases in which SFC did _not_ start a series in June, or can we pretty much count on June 2002?

quote:
Also, the telemovie is looking to be around a December release BTW.

Hmmm...I seem to remember Joe D saying that he heard SFC was considering October or January. So, who's more reliable, Antony or Joe?
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Hmmm...I seem to remember Joe D saying that he heard SFC was considering October or January. So, who's more reliable, Antony or Joe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this case, Antony.
smile.gif
My information was third hand and a couple of months old - just dates that were being kicked around at Sci-Fi and which happened to be mentioned in passing to some advertising types who are also B5 fans and who were meeting with Sci-Fi on other matters. Antony has spies on the ground in Vancouver.
laugh.gif

As it happens, October has not been a good month for Sci-Fi, historically. The trend among the networks to start the new fall season later and later every year means a lot of heavily promoted broadcast offerings sap their audience during that month. November is also out of the question as it is sweeps month for broadcast stations and there is always a lot of "stunt programming", specials and major movies on tap.

The second week of January would be a good slot (TNT did very well with both In the Beginning and A Call to Arms in 1998 & 1999.) But December 2000 was the biggest month in Sci-Fi's history thanks to the Dune mini-series, and I'm sure they'd like to duplicate that success this year with some of the original movies and mini-series they have in development.

So it appears that December makes good business sense, in addition to being the month Antony mentioned.

Also I mentioned Antony's report on another board and one of my advertising friends just posted that this confirms what she heard not long ago from someone at Sci-Fi. But remember, you heard it here first, and from Antony.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

smile.gif

In terms of the date, you never know... it might slip into January. What does seem to be certain is that it's not fall, it's later... we're talking end of year. December was mentioned to me.

Time will tell on this....
smile.gif

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back