• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New DVD reissues

GKarsEye

Regular
Just wanted to mention three great DVD reissues

"Say hello to my little friend!"

Scarface: Anniversary edition

The original "Collector's Edition" (why must every crappy thing be called special or collector's or some such nonsense?) was supposedly pretty crappy. The new one is, by all accounts, really great. With a DTS 5.1 soundtrack and bonus materials on a 2nd disc, this ultimate tale of a criminals rise and fall (and bagging Michelle Pfeiffer, hubba hubba) is classic.

I'll get it at some point, but I have many other things on the queue.

"A fishy, fishy, fishy... oh!"

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

The 3rd and final Python film, considered by most to be the weakest, but still packed with hilarity. Basically just a bunch of sketches, most of which are really funny. I love the pre-feature short about accountants taking over the business world like pirates (literally), Every Sperm is Sacred, the bit with the Grim Reaper, etc.

I think there was an earlier release of this film, but either way this is of course the one to get, with an extra disc of bonus materials, most of which are entertaining in their own right.

This one I grabbed only a couple of days after it came out.

Get the DVD, have a "wafer thin mint" (aw, but it is only wafer thin!), and laugh you tits off.

Fargo: Special Edition (or Collector's Edition, or whatever)

One of those love it or hate it deals, I went from the latter to the former. One day, the Coen brothers just clicked with me, and I'm now a huge fan. This charming midwest investigation tale has a sense of warmth and eeriness that's just great. The DVD itself is getting glowing reviews, so I'm gonna grab this one as well.

Not related to the above, but one of the reasons it's gonna be a while until I can get Scarface and Fargo is my recent acquisition of the Criterion DVD of Spartacus. With its 196 minute (!) running time, commentary, and extra DVD of extras, it'll take me 6 and a half weeks to pour through that one.

I agree that Al's performance is over the top,but I'm still not a Scarface fan. But the other three are all favorites. I went to see Spartacus shortly after its 1991 restoration, at a large, restored theater in Detroit, The Fox. It was great on the big screen, but the print broke ELEVEN times! :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

So, I bought the Criterion laser disc of it, and it was great. Probably the same restoration for your DVD, maybe a new trasnsfer? You might be interested to know that Anthony Mann actually directed about one hour of the beginning of the film, uncredited. He and Kirk clashed, so Kubrick was brought in. Mann was good, but Kubrick, much better. Just beware of Silesian pirates!

Douglas brought in Kubrick because he liked working with him on Paths of Glory. But they still fought so much on Spartacus that Kubrick practically vowed to have complete creative control over all his movies from then on.

And thus the greatest film career ever of all time was born.

The tough part for me is setting aside 3.5 hours to watch this freakin' thing.

I wonder if one's opinion of Scarface has much to do with one's background. Rappers are notorious for worshipping the movie, and all of my friends from my old neighborhood (Brooklyn represent, boy) love the movie, too.

I finally got around to watching Scarface today, and I must say, it rocks. Plain and simple.

And of COURSE I got the box set thinger. HAD to. :cool:

Now I just need to track down a copy of Citizen Kane on DVD, and I'll be happy. For the time being.

Yeah. You didn't know?

There's the new Anniversary Edition DVD by itself, and a collector's box set featuring the Anniversary Edition, along with:

-a set of eight reproduced original lobby cards,
-a money clip,
-and the original Scarface from 1932 on DVD.

Of course, I'd think that perhaps you knew this but didn't understand the way that I phrased everything in my post. If not... now you know! Or something along those lines. :cool:

No, I didn't know. Thanks.

The cards and the money clip I don't want, but the 1932 Scarface I'd like to see.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back