B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 27th 05, 02:07   #21
tygirwulf
First One

Re: Top 50 Sci-Fi shows of all time

I bought DVDs at Best Buy, watched the entire first season in about 3 days time, and then the week after that, Sci Fi had a marathon of Season 2 up to that point. Maybe you will luck out, indeed. I think they will likely have another one detailing the first half of Season 2 before they go back on air with the new episodes in January.

Granted, I have not watched every sci fi show ever made, but that list is kind of wonky. No Farscape at all, anywhere? It's not as good as BSG imo, but it's a far sight better than Andromeda, which should burn.
tygirwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 02:46   #22
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Wait, Buffy was on there? I've never classified it as sci-fi. Definitely the best horror/fantasy show on TV for a good while, but its sci-fi elements were pretty small compared to the stronger mystical magical demonic themes.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 03:47   #23
LondosHair
First One

There's a hairline between fantasy and sci-fi already, and it's made even thinner by the fact that you just don't see many fantasy shows on TV to begin with. This is why you see booths for Xena and Hercules right next to Star Trek and Doctor Who at the cons. The audience for one tends to watch a fair deal of the other as well.
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 04:25   #24
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Yeah I kinda regret not watching it from the beginning. Season 1 in on my Netflix queue but disc 1 is listed as "very long wait," surprise surprise. Hopefully I can watch season 1 and sci-fi will re-broadcast season 2 before season 3 starts.
If you have an HDTV and access to a channel called "Universal HD" or UHD you might be in luck.

After Season 1 of BSG ended on Sci-Fi channel, UHD ran the episodes in order a couple days a week for several weeks...in nice 1080i format. VERY easy on the eyes.

They will do the same with Season 2 I have been told. What I don't know is if they are going to wait for ALL of season 2 to be done, or if they will start airing them now, because the show just had their "mid" season cliffhanger and there won't be new episodes till January. There's a chance you can catch the first half of Season 2 this way --- which is highly recommended.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 08:07   #25
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Saw Pegasus last night, it was just superb, I even dug the prog-rock soundtrack some. Now I have to wait to January to see what happens...
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 14:36   #26
GKarsEye
First One

Thanks for the tip Recoil, I believe I do have that channel, I just never use it.

Of course I'll have to watch sesaon 1 first and I really don't want to buy the DVDs. Stupid netflix...
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 14:43   #27
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Well, GKE, you can always tape (or other method of recording) them, and wait to watch until you've seen season 1. I imagine SciFi Channel will likely start rerunning season 2 first 1/2 this coming Friday.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 14:44   #28
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
There's a hairline between fantasy and sci-fi already, and it's made even thinner by the fact that you just don't see many fantasy shows on TV to begin with. This is why you see booths for Xena and Hercules right next to Star Trek and Doctor Who at the cons. The audience for one tends to watch a fair deal of the other as well.
I don't consider the difference between "science fiction" (science and technology) and "fantasy" (magic and super-natural) to be a "hairline". I consider it very significant and noticable, although occassionally you see something that has both.

To me, making a list that is titled "science fiction" and then including pure fantasy is a lot like making a list of "movie musicals" and then including stage musical productions because they tend to have a lot of audiance overlap. You just aren't listing what you claimed to be listing.

I have no problem with the idea of combining science fiction and fantasy into one list, but then title your list appropriately ..... possibly "speculative fiction". If you *say* "science fiction" then actually follow your own implied rule.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 15:43   #29
GKarsEye
First One

ew... tape...ew
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 05, 13:56   #30
StarForBram
First One

I know this is going to be hard for many to accept, but I always thought Star Trek/Next Gen was kinda lame. I guess I always had trouble with the Patrick Stewart love scenes and fight scenes. To have it rated ahead of B5 seemed unfounded to me.
StarForBram is offline   Reply With Quote