• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do YOU Think? JMS, B5 and Ebay

Perhaps those who seem to think that the selling of B5 stuff on Ebay by the show's creator is classified as "whoring" should "get over it" too.

Semantics aside, I have no issue with this. JMS has stated that a lot of the money is going to charity, and his house is too full of junk.
If the junk in my house was worth a lot, i'd sell it. (it ain't, sadly).

He also said that by LA standards, he is not that rich. I can also see that.

Fans are also going to get a kick out of it. I agree, some of the prices could be set lower initally, so us poorer librarian-wage types could get in on the act, but its the collectors who put it up in the first place.

As for the future of B5, i'm not sure. JMS has suffered a bit of a defeat on TMOS, maybe clearing out junk is a way of clearing out his mind before he moves onto other projects. He said it may be a year or two before he returns to the B5 world.

B5 is not his life, even though it may be some of the fans...(ducks to avoid incoming furniture...) ;)

Definitely a bad sign for the future of B5. If you honestly thought the show had a chance to revive in some form at some point in the future you would not sell this stuff off. Kind of smacks of an estate sale to me. That said, I don't begrudge jms from doing it. It just makes me sad.

What is the problem with this? JMS worked bloody hard to put B5 on screen, why shouldn't he benefit a little from from his creation? That's like saying an artist can't sell his artwork! Yes, the auctions are expensive, but that is only because people value his work so much.

As for the death of B5? B5 finished in 1998 as far as I'm concerned, and everything else is ancilliary, a bonus. And I can't see how JMS selling some memorabilia to the fans would signal the death of the show in any case.

Well, as an Ebay addict, I gotta tell ya, it's really beside the point to talk about the starting price, and it should've been lower to allow more to get in on it.

On Ebay, if a starting bid is higher than the item is valued at, it won't get touched. So, as long as the item sells, it really doesn't matter what it started at, it went for what someone was willing to pay for it. So, if something went for $1000.00, it doesn't matter if the starting bid was a penny or $999.00, it still went for $1000, and if you didn't have $1000 to bid on it, you wouldn't have really been "in" on it in the first place.

Recoil, I understood your intital post, because I am familiar with how abrasive you can be, and I am accustomed to it, and actually am surprised when you phrase something delicately. But, I do understand how Jan and Hyp took the post, especially since they are both exposed to much more blatant attacks at the official JMS sites, and their nerves are probably already overly sensitive, so it's really easy to see how they reacted to this so strongly, forgetting just how abrasive your humor can be.

Definitely a bad sign for the future of B5. If you honestly thought the show had a chance to revive in some form at some point in the future you would not sell this stuff off. Kind of smacks of an estate sale to me. That said, I don't begrudge jms from doing it. It just makes me sad.

My take on things (from a future of B5 standpoint) is that it probably isn't a good sign...but I think its impact is insignificant compared to the demise of TMOS. Although, one thing to keep in mind, is for the most part, when TV Series get made into movies...props from the original TV series typically are NOT used in the feature films (ST and ST:TNG are good examples). In fact items from those series can and do become collectors items.

One thing I think I would say....if you are a serious collector of things that are B5...you better act fast. With the frequency of items going up for bid lately, you might not get another chance.

I guess the demise of TMOS to me meant the death of future B5. Yes I know JMS will keep trying, but in my mind, that light has gone out. And the ebay auctioning (even though probably unrelated realistically to future B5 projects) just seems to "represent" the nail in the coffin for me.

Well, as an Ebay addict, I gotta tell ya, it's really beside the point to talk about the starting price, and it should've been lower to allow more to get in on it.

On Ebay, if a starting bid is higher than the item is valued at, it won't get touched. So, as long as the item sells, it really doesn't matter what it started at, it went for what someone was willing to pay for it. So, if something went for $1000.00, it doesn't matter if the starting bid was a penny or $999.00, it still went for $1000, and if you didn't have $1000 to bid on it, you wouldn't have really been "in" on it in the first place.

For an item sure to sell, the only effect the starting price has on anything is the initial price of the ad. In the case of the JMS auctions, I'm sure Ebay and PayPal are glad to see him because the final value fees and PP fees must be pretty high.

Jan

I tried to believe that this was a lame attempt at humor the way the 'Minbari Suck' thread was, and decided I didn't care.
Jan

FYI Jan, GKE started that thread, not Recoil. And whoring, whilst not acceptable to all, is widely used in many circumstances other than the obvious.

Yea, the initial price of the auction, but, you ultimately are charged according to the final selling price of the auction, so it really doesn't matter what the initial cost is

At sight of the first few posts, my reaction was this:
kittens_save_thread.jpg

Even lots of " :p ;) :p " wouldn't keep me from seeing it as a flame invitation. Reminds me of the thread about "what kind of person JMS is"...
But you got the possible flame war doused down pretty quickly.

A high starting price just means that if nobody wants to bid at that amount, he'd rather just keep the item.

Re: Board image silliness (Broadband only)

Oh, feel free to post a couple more choice select ones just for fun.

OK. Spoiler tags would be nice, so that people could choose wether or not to see them.

Fit for this thread a few posts ago:
killitwithfire.jpg

Images for people who post scary or Not Safe for Work pictures:
kittyscared.jpg

hidoi.jpg

On the other end, something that's too cute:
too_cute.jpg

(There should be a Bab-Bearlon 5 spacing version of this.)

Whenever somebody abuses grammar:
grammartime.jpg

Reward: Flower for you:
flowerforyou.jpg

When you simply don't understand:
huh.jpg

pancake_bunny.jpg

Boring:
yawn.jpg

And this is kind of zen and meta-referential:
funnypictrue.jpg

EDIT: Broadband subject.

Definitely a bad sign for the future of B5. If you honestly thought the show

...or some spinoff of the show...

...had a chance to revive in some form at some point in the future you would not sell this stuff off. Kind of smacks of an estate sale to me.

"Kind of smacks of an estate sale to me." Exactly! :(

That said, I don't begrudge jms from doing it. It just makes me sad.

Same here.

And by the way, kittens can save any thread. :)

Doesn't anybody know the meaning of MYOB anymore?

It's not his "own business" once he puts it on a public auction on the single most popular global internet auction site in the world.

Therefore we get to have threads to talk about it.

I sometimes have to remind myself, he named himself "Recoil", after all.

So?
Are you upset I'm not really the ocular sensory organ of a fictional character? Or are you really not an ancient mathemetician?

a lame attempt at humor the way the 'Minbari Suck' thread

That went one for like 4 pages and others seemed to enjoy.
Also, the Minbari do, in fact, suck. But not as much as kittens.

Words mean what they mean, Recoil and there's not any way to take 'whoring' as anything but negative.

If a guy "killed a room full of people," is there any way to take that other than negative?
Well, yes... if he's a comic.

People use words outside of the Official Webster Dictionary meaning. Without out that, there would be much less poetry and no slang.

Its just that there have been enough of them close enough together that to me it seems to be a flurry of activity. So yea, 22 items from one person in a short period does seem like a bit.

It is a lot. I've been through that when I sold off my DVD collection.

As for the death of B5? B5 finished in 1998 as far as I'm concerned, and everything else is ancilliary, a bonus.

I have been trying to make people understand this for a long time...

JMS worked bloody hard to put B5 on screen, why shouldn't he benefit a little from from his creation?

Oh come on, he's benefited plenty- like getting paid and lauded for creating the TV show of his dreams.

I personally don't care because I believe props are just that- props. But I seem to have much less attachment to objects and places than most people I know and rarely get sentimental over them.

Though I admit- it would be cool to own the Book of G'Quan

Don't have any problem with selling this stuff.

They would need to make new props anyway so doesn't mean anything one way or another as for new B5.

If there's one guy in the world who doesn't need extra stuff to feel sentimental or have a connection with B5 I think it would be JMS.

Re: Board image silliness

here's something for our resident MD: If you find something humourus:
humerus.jpg

Scared kitty, again:
kittyscared2.jpg

If somebody brings up something old:
old.jpg

If a thread is de-railing. Much like this one... eh, now it was off the rails from the first post. :p
serious_business.jpg

And finish off with a screaming lawnmower.
omg01.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back