• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Watching our new friends on TV

GKarsEye

Regular
Ok, this is uncharacteristically lame and sentimental for the mighty GKarsEye, but:

I couldn't help but thinking of our post exchanges on this board with the actors while watching the movie. It added an element to public entertainment I've never experienced before. Rather than seeing a bunch of actors perform, it was a little like seeing your friends or family in the local community theater. In at least a small degree, we knew those people in the movie, and little things in the movie reminded my of their real-life personalities.

When Cpt Martel quipped a witty jibe, it was like reading his friendly taunts to Gus Lynch.

Firell saying, "My heart speaks infrequently and quietly." Hah! She told us to expect that, but it was still surprising.

Alex Zahara, a class act all the way, made Dulann equally classy.

Miriam Sirois beeing nothing but sweet and wonderful around here made me feel for her character right away. It's like part of me was saying, "Nice going Miriam, good job!"
And of course, I'm going to marry her one day, so that helps.
blush.gif

When Kitaro Sasaki dictated his name at the ceremony, I noticed he gave it a deliberate Japanese-sounding inflection. Immediately, it reminded me of Warren's pride in his Japanese heritage and his idol-worship of Bruce Lee.

These little things made watching the movie a very different experience. Thank you to the actors and the board for that. I think I'll watch again tonight!

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Eye,

I thought the same thing. It was kinda neet to finally see the cast in action after we got to get to know them a bit here. I thought of that as I watched the movie, and had to smile to myslef when I did.
smile.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

That would be a feat since I believe Andreas doesn't have a computer .Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here.

------------------

No, Andreas isn't online. He doesn't really like the internet, from what I've heard.

I also thought about how we converse with the actors here while watching the movie. And I will think about which actors I've met in person while watching B5.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
When Kitaro Sasaki dictated his name at the ceremony, I noticed he gave it a deliberate Japanese-sounding inflection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I noticed that too so I am glad someone else did too. I just hate it when they cast people to play "Japanese" when they can't even say their names correctly.
wink.gif
Or when they cast another asian nationality instead of the one they are supposed to play. Or even worse yet, when people butcher Japanese names like "Hiroshima"! Granted, I am -way- pickier than most people!
laugh.gif

I just know that when I first meet Warren that I knew it was a good casting decision. Plus, I am so glad he convinced JMS to change his character from having a Chinese name to a Japanese one. Kudos!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

Hey Lyta!

Genki desu ka?

Regarding the name change of the character from the original "Li Chen" to the now, "Kitaro Sasaki"...

I didn't convince JMS to change the name. Joe voluntarily changed it on his own to reflect my Japanese heritage!

He (JMS) is a very respectful, considerate and generous man!

He was even so kind as to ask me if I was okay with the name he had chosen! Wow!

I am repeating myself here when I say this but, if JMS asks me to jump...I say "How high?"

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif

------------------

When I hear someone say "jump", I always think of Kosh.
lol.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
Hey Lyta!

Genki desu ka?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Konichwa Warren-san. Hai, genki desu.

Boy, dusting off my Japanese is fun. I don't use it much and most of what I did learn was done in high school (over 10 years ago)! I will always remember my first sentence that I came up with in Japanese however ... Kaimono ni ikimashoo!
laugh.gif

As for the name change ... oops!

*bows deeply and respectfully to JMS and then to Warren also*

PS: I love the name Kitaro btw ...

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

isn't it great to have cast and crew discussing among us??

I always though t of the cast as unreachable, yet, here they are...

as the song says: It's a small world after all...

------------------
We live for the one, we die for the one. and... I am the one.

And this is why this is the best place to lurk and occasionally post.
laugh.gif

------------------
"No, they never end as tales," said Frodo. "But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later - or sooner." - Frodo to Sam in "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol" The Two Towers, The Lord of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

I must say, a definate plus all around, the fact that the cast shows up here. A real treat. I for one will always welcome their comments here. It's so rare to find the cast actually talking to fans.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

Hello? Hello?

Hey...psst...you whooooooooooo...anyone here?

Where the hell is the rest of the cast members?

Dylan? Myriam?...Ah...Alex? Gus?...Hmmmmm...

Enid-Raye? Jennie-Rebecca?...Geez...what the...

Dean? Boom-Boom Bridges?

David Storch? Well...no one knows where he is...

Weird...They are nowhere to be seen...

(tumble weed rolls by)

Oh well...I'm outa here!

See ya...

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

lol

Warren, you and Alex have been the only ones brave enough to post here so soon after the movie aired. To be honest, I wouldn't do it. Some of use here are insane, and I'm surprised that two of you are posting in a messageboard about your movie where one of the threads is called, "2 hours down the drain," and another is called, "B5LR: dissappointment." I sure wouldn't.

Your colleagues will return after the most angry nay-sayers leave (after all, I hope that people who hated so much it wouldn't waste their time posting here. I mean, you don't see me posting on a disco music message board.)

------------------

I for one cannot understand why Myriam wouldn't be posting. I mean, it's not like any of us are obsessed and blatantly in love with her.
crazy.gif

coughGKARSEYEcough
laugh.gif

Oh wait....I feel the same way!
wink.gif
blush.gif

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

[This message has been edited by Natron (edited January 22, 2002).]

Oh, come now, Miriam knows I'm joking. And now that the judge put a restraining order on me, I'm relatively safe.
smile.gif

Miriam is getting the most criticism because of the gunnery pod thing which she worked very hard on. I expect her to be the last person to come back, though I sure would love her to.

------------------

Oh riiight....whatever you say....
laugh.gif

I can see your "eye" trying to sneak it's way into the weapons pod.
lol.gif

Well, the guys in white coats came and took me away again...same old thing, padded room, lots of shots...you know, the usual.

Anyway, they think I'm ok now, they wanted to erase every scene with Myriam from my tape...but I wouldn't let them!!! Bwa ha ha haaa

I'm reminded of what Zack said after talking to Lyta in the transport tube during Thirdspace.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Three dates and I probably would have married her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No, really....I'm ok.......

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

Part of what made B5LR so great for me is actually seeing the fruition of what the cast was so excited about for months beforehand, finally seeing the awesome gunnery pod that Myriam spoke of, watching Dylan rock my 13" television screen after hearing him here on the website, and of course, finally seeing Warren in action (after looking at his great contributions to titans - not every actor takes a few weeks to write interactive fiction on the internet! :p). And Gus reads some really good books.

I don't think a cast, for any show, has really ever done anything like this before. You guys are breaking new ground and really plumbing some public relations opportunities nobody's thought of before...
wink.gif

Bad Channe! Get mind out of work! No PR outside of office!

------------------
channe@cryoterrace | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Yeah, I'll second that "Brave" topic. To come in where the fire is after the fact, when you know the chance of being shot up is likely (as well as praised, I suppose) takes some real stones.

::looking for the others:: Come out come out whereever you are.

We're all a little nuts. Don't you have to be?

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

That never occurred to me until I watched it a second time. I was so caught up with it the first time, I didn't think anything of it. The second time, however, when Sarah jumped the handrail to get in the gunnery pod, I found myself thinking, "oh yeah, Myriam said the other day that she had a lot of fun doing this part"... then it hit me like the proverbial sack o' bricks.
smile.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Back