• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

LotR and WB

Natron

Beyond the rim
Did Warner Brothers have any part in the production of Legend of the Rangers?

I don't remember seeing the logo, and nothing to show it was Warner Brothers property, just a Sci-Fi Channel production.

If this is the case, could this explain the differences in software, CGI stuff, etc.

If Warner Brothers was not involved with this, then could all the new effects (jump points, hyperspace, etc.) be the result of not being able to get a hold of pre-made stuff. I assume the jump points, hyperspace, and the like were pretty much stock in the series, so they would just reuse them, rather than having to create a new one each time.

Maybe WB wouldn't let Sci-Fi use it, so they had to recreate it. Maybe using Maya was the result of using what they could.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Natron:
Did Warner Brothers have any part in the production of Legend of the Rangers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warner Brothers most certainly was involved, since it owns the rights to Babylon 5.

I'd be very surprised if WB wasn't mentioned in the credits (perhaps with the copyright). Though, of course, the squeeze made it impossible to tell...

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

Yes, WB owns everything from the B5 Universe lock, stock, and whitestar.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Yes, Warner Bros. was very much involved, they own the B5 universe. The FX have now been done by three different companies, Foundation Imaging, Netter Digital and GVFX. But their computer files of ships and the like are also the property of Warner Bros. Copies of them may go to the studio during production, and if a company stops working on the show I would assume that they have to be surrendered.

What happened here is the same thing that happened with A Call to Arms and Crusade. The state-of-the-art has moved on; they can now do cooler things that are closer to what JMS originally had in mind, so they did them. (He's specifically said that he wanted hyperspace to look both more 3D and more "chaotic" and that the Rangers version is much closer to what he wanted to begin with than any previous attempt.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

indeed, any ship we've seen before in b5 that was in b5lr was either the original model or a maya conversion in it... the last shot of the movie was actually done in LW as there wasnt time to convert all the models involved into maya

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Just recently got uploaded to jmsnews.com, which means it was probably on the moderated group a bit earlier today (timestamp is 3:42 PM):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it. -jms<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So either that solves that mystery, or JMS is wrong :)

Cheers,
--mcn

[This message has been edited by Capt. Neville (edited January 21, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back