• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mongoose publishing B5 books, not approved by JMS

Re: Mongoose publishing B5 books, not approved by

That may well be because they've not yet got anything to submit... its all still at the planning stage and they would still like to get JMS involved.

Hard to tell. I would think that, if books are supposed to be published as early as July (though I think I read October someplace else), the manuscripts would have had to have been submitted by now. Maybe not for an October release but definitely for July/August.

MS claims that it's the Crusade books are in the planning stages, not all of them. But there's been quite a list of books already supposed to be being published soon, including one by Claudia Christian. Word is that perhaps Julie Caitlyn Brown may be doing one, also.

Jan

But there's been quite a list of books already supposed to be being published soon, including one by Claudia Christian. Word is that perhaps Julie Caitlyn Brown may be doing one, also.

Jan

I was wondering: are they professional authors? MS definitely said, rather defensively I thought, that "they were professional writers".

I adore Claudia C's work as an actress, but I don't see that as qualifying her to be a great B5 book writer.

God, it must really be annoying to JMS to have to (to some extent at least) sit back and take it when his universe gets sold out like this.

There does seem to be some question about the scripts? Or was JMS's comments about not using his scripts or notes more an artistic demand rather than a legal one?

I'm confused at this point as to whether or not Mongoose could use the unfilmed scripts as a basis for novels. But then, I gather I'm not alone.

There does seem to be some question about the scripts? Or was JMS's comments about not using his scripts or notes more an artistic demand rather than a legal one?

I'm confused at this point as to whether or not Mongoose could use the unfilmed scripts as a basis for novels. But then, I gather I'm not alone.

Nope, you're not alone. MS seems to think that he's got permission to base Crusade novels on the scripts. That's hardly precise terminology (which I'm beginning to expect from him) so we don't know if that means that he intends to novelize the scripts (somewhat the way JMS turned his Twilight Zone scripts into short stories for the anthology book) or whether he just means to tell about events in the scripts in some form and go on from there.

Jan

Well, he should stop posting immediately. Wouldn't you think it's gotten to "have your lawyer talke to my lawyer" at this point? :(

He was looking for an endorsement, I wonder if he'll leave with a lawsuit.

Not being a lawyer, the only thing I can see that might end up involving lawyers might be the use of the scripts end even so, it would depend on what permissions WB might or might not have granted.

Jan

Yes, that's what I was referring to. If there is any real legal question about what can and cannot be done with those scripts.

Well, I just hope that JMS can talk to WB and WB is telling both him and Sprange the same thing. :rolleyes:

It's times like these I'm incredibly glad I don't want to be an author.

I suspect WB handed over the scripts to Mongoose and let them get on with it, safe in the knowledge that they own them. Otherwise JMS would be doing the lawyer thing...

Its a real shame, I'd much prefer to see those scripts being released as scripts only. JMS should have been able to do that via his online store...

I also find that Sprange's notions that the crusade story needs to be brought to a close a bit insulting to JMS who worked so hard on that show.... but at least he was trying to get JMS's input.

That said, they've both got more to gain via collaboration than via arguing. And I will shut up now,. as promised...

Its a real shame, I'd much prefer to see those scripts being released as scripts only. JMS should have been able to do that via his online store...

He still can do that, at least with the two that he wrote, and may well do it when the time comes for the Crusade script books. Per WGA rules, he still can do whatever he wants with the scripts *as* scripts. What he can't do is things like turn them into short stories or novels or TV programs.

Jan

Back