• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Perpetually New Posts

Hey Ant,

Over the last few days, a few posts have appeared that are ALWAYS noted as new every time I visit the board - even though I have already looked at them several times before.

The obvious example is the B5 Related, and is Eclipse's post on the 'Region 2 (and 4) screwed again' thread that includes the picture of two guys and the caption "the Warner Brothers".

Without fail, I read this post and the main index updates to show that there are now no new posts on that forum. Then next time I come back to the board, that post is showing in the index as being new and unread. It is not the only one.

Here's hoping there is a solution, cos it is getting pretty annoying now.

Cheers,

Have you tried resetting your cookies? It's not a problem with this (or other specific) threads really, but with specific user accounts it seems - occasionally the information stored in cookies can get messed up. I've had a similar problem with a few random threads occasionally (in B5.World and Off-topic for example), but they've resolved on their own in a day or so, or when I log in to the board from another computer (for example I don't seem to have the same problems at home that I've had at work and vice versa).

You can try going to your Home, choose My Cookies (in the Main Configuration area) and Expire Cookies. Will hopefully solve the problem.

If not, then I'm clueless. :D

I have been getting the same issue on and off.......and actually I am currently getting it on the "Browser Stats" and "Always Logged On" threads in this forum........though killing your cookies DOES work.........though you will no longer have a current record of what you have visited and not......so you might want to wait to do it until you have seen all you want to see for that day, and then "expire" yolu cookies using My Home/Configuration/Expire Cookies link.

;)

Been getting the same issues for the last three or four days, on both my work and home PCs, and it is only with selected threads - that one from B5 Related in particular.

Killed cookies on this PC yesterday afternoon, and problem hasn't gone away - haven't tried resetting them at home.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

:rolleyes:

I've been getting that problem as well. I've killed my cookies and it still happens. It is also only a few threads, not all of them.

Very weird.

I've been getting that problem as well. I've killed my cookies and it still happens. It is also only a few threads, not all of them.

Very weird.

That's the part that has caught me.........certain threads........over and over........why certain threads........it's VERY curious..........

I've found that if I hit the link on the main index to the individual post, then go back to the index either directly or via the forum, then the individual post still shows as unread.

If I hit the forum link, then go into the individual thread, then back to the index, again either via the forum or direct, the post then shows as read.

I have no idea why!

That might be the differential........I noticed I did that "direct" click recently (don't so it too often) and that was one of the perpetual "never viewed" threads.......interesting.

If I hit the forum link, then go into the individual thread, then back to the index, again either via the forum or direct, the post then shows as read.

I have no idea why!

Same here ... but the problem is, next time I come to the board it is showing as unread. Again!

And Again.

And Again.

Good job I don't have any hair to pull out ...

:LOL:

Well, I figured nothing else was working, and I was getting tired of seeing that Warner Brothers post repeatedly, so I posted after it, and now it's magically no longer showing as new. So, whatever was clogged, became unclogged after posting, for whatever reason.

The board is losing its mind.

I've now got one thread that's perpetually marked as having new posts, and two others in Babbleon that refuse to move up to the top of the board after I post in them.

Well, I don't want to futz with cookies as it's a public computer, and I haven't tried marking all read, and the problem seems to have gone away anyway, so it was probably just a hiccup in the system.

It seems like what ever the system change is, it now expires my cookies WAY too often automatically now. I can log on and find EVERYTHING marked as read when it's all new.

I do sometimes leave it logged in in my browser, over night, until I dail up the net the next day, but why would that mark all as read without me having any activity?

There are known problems with post tracking in this person. Infpop may try and fix it for 6.5.2.

Back