• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why no male nudity?

hypatia

Regular
If Jerimiah is really going to take advantage of it's "free and easy" cable status, then why no MALE nudity? HMM?
scifi.com article

[Edit note: Fixed the URL --Lyta]

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited February 22, 2002).]

If you want that kind of stuff...go watch OZ of Queer as Folk. As for the rest of us....we don't want to be staring at another dude's package.

------------------

Thanks, Lyta.
Sorry about the mess.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited February 22, 2002).]

Sigh. 'Cause our society is the kind of society that will hoot and holler over two lesbians and get all queasy over two gay men.

It's unfair, I tell ya.

But it's only the beginning. Maybe they'll break more rules as they go...?

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

there may not be FRONTAL male nudity but i guarantee you there is a glimpse of a male posterior (could be Luke Perry's, assuming he did not use a double) in the pilot episode.
-di doctor-

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I think that if there were as much penis being flashed on the big screen as women's breasts then maybe the whole fallic symbol/size thing would lose the sway it has over men.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must...not...capitialize...on...the...opportunity...

resist...must...resist

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Hypatia, I fixed your URL since you had one too many "http://" in there. You might want to edit your other post that has the entire article. I don't really care personally, but Antony might have issues with it.
wink.gif

Interesting news article. I always seem to be behind on the SciFi Wire reports since I don't check them everyday.

No male nudity? I don't really care if it has it or not. If it makes sense in the story and it is not too gratuitous, then I don't see what the big deal is. I really think our society in general focuses too much on nudity.

Ok, so the pilot episode is tamer than originally filmed. Maybe they will release/show the un-tamed down version one of these days.
smile.gif
I also see why they might want to gradually ease the audience into the harsh reality of the subject matter. I am sure there are a lot of people tuning in just because it has JMS' name on it and it wouldn't necessarily be something they would expect. Plus, this type of storytelling (on screen) is fairly new to JMS so he might be easing into it, gauging reactions, etc. Or, it could even be the studio who demanded it. Who knows?
smile.gif
In any case, it sounds like they will be pushing the limits as the show goes along which intrigues me to no end.

As for male posterior nudity, I am all for it! Especially if it is actaully Luke's behind.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Abyss : Jeremiah
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Sigh. 'Cause our society is the kind of society that will hoot and holler over two lesbians and get all queasy over two gay men.

It's unfair, I tell ya.

But it's only the beginning. Maybe they'll break more rules as they go...?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My best guess on this one, Channe, is that JMS is going for a male crowd. Too bad. some male nudity might bring in a whole new group to Jermimiah, eh?
wink.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

You know, I hate to say it, but I also wish there was more male nudity in films -- a'la Harvey Keitel in "The Piano" Personally, I think that if there were as much penis being flashed on the big screen as women's breasts then maybe the whole fallic symbol/size thing would lose the sway it has over men.

Nothing wrong with a man's posterior. Luke's is most likely a fine specimen....err... actually Queer as Folk was a great series! And yep the nudity and sexual content was quite refreshing for a tv show and also pretty well done.
tongue.gif

------------------

What women could POSSIBLY see as atractive in the male form is BEYOND me. It's only the most unappealing combination of features even created. I think it's all just a conspiricy by women to ogle men because men do it to women, not because they really get excited about any thing there.
Besides, women are SUPPOSED to be only interested in "feelings" and "meaningful" things.
It's a conspiricy I tell ya!

tongue.gif

------------------
"Humanity IS my business"
or the always popular
"You can get farther with a kind word and a 2 b four, than you can with just a kind word"

Because male nudity (especially full frontal) is more of a "taboo" than female nudity (especially topless)? We're more used to seeing the latter; ... Hell, fashion has openly made a presentation of it for eons. That is probably why we're more comfortable with women with revealing tops, and going topless in films. We don't even count a guy with his shirt off as "nudity."

As a guy though, I can tell you that most other guys would echo Sven Foriegner's statement "As for the rest of us....we don't want to be staring at another dude's package." and Londo's "Of all things in life, are females not the finest?"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

And as a woman, I find nothing even remotely appealing about having to see female nudity everywhere.
tongue.gif

I'd much rather see Luke's posterior than some woman's naked breasts.
tongue.gif
It's simply a question of demanding equal treatment.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
And as a woman, I find nothing even remotely appealing about having to see female nudity everywhere.
tongue.gif

I'd much rather see Luke's posterior than some woman's naked breasts.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you get to see guys with their shirts off all the time.
tongue.gif
That's equal treatment.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Oh, you get to see guys with their shirts off all the time.
tongue.gif
That's equal treatment.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but for some reason I also get to see female full frontal and posterior nudity a lot more than male...
laugh.gif

Besides, breasts and male chests aren't quite the same thing.
wink.gif
Although I do thinkt there should be more topless guys around on the screen, at least as long as they've got a great body.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

What about Malcolm Jamal-Warner. Does he not have a decent body under that outfit?

From the marketing of Jeremiah, they appear to be targeting men more than women.

But, this woman wouldn't mind some equal treatment. And it's not necessarily *what* is shown that matters, it is just the acknowledgement that men can be the sex objects, too. It's the "attitude" behind it. Farscape hasn't shown us Ben Browder's bare butt, but they sure make an effort to make the guy look as fine as possible--leather pants, tank tops, shirtless on occasion.

That's why Queer is Folk is interesting to watch. It's not the nudity per se, but the acknowledgment that a man can be a sex object.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2aMageing:
What women could POSSIBLY see as atractive in the male form is BEYOND me. It's only the most unappealing combination of features even created. I think it's all just a conspiricy by women to ogle men because men do it to women, not because they really get excited about any thing there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if THAT were true, no guy would get "lucky" EVER.
wink.gif
lol.gif

------------------

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here!
lol.gif
I admit, some people who know me pretty well are probably wondering why hyp would start a thread like this one!

I confess: I was bored and wanted to have some fun! Glad to see the guys are taking it so well.

But I do think if you are going to have a show that is openly showing nudity, then let's have some "equal treatment".
lol.gif

------------------

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Now if THAT were true, no guy would get "lucky" EVER.
wink.gif
lol.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there is such a thing called alcohol.
smile.gif

------------------
"Wild Dog! Why's it taking you so long to get ridda them?"
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back