B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 7th 20, 17:57   #21
Looney
Telepath

Re: B5 Events

Well I guess these aren't big news here, but I will keep mentioning them. There is another PayPerView event the 14TH with Tim Russ. Personally I just don't know enough of his work to be a big enough fan to spend money on this event, but I do highly recommend these events to people who do know the participants. I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have seen. I mean how often do you get to watch a horror movie while the stars of the movie talk about it on Halloween?!?!?!?! Last week was amazing.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 21, 15:37   #22
Looney
Telepath

New event on the 30TH....

Joanna Cassidy

$29.98 Early Bird Discount.

I am looking forward to this one. A few of my favorites:

Blade Runner (1982)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)
Buffalo Bill [TV Series] (1983-84)

These are the three I remember first when I hear her name. I also really like Club Paradise (1986) and I liked her in (Stephen King's) The Tommyknockers (1993) TV Mini-Series as well as enjoying seeing her in just about anything she has done that I've seen.
Old February 18th 21, 15:07   #23
Looney
Telepath

New Event on the 20TH

FARSCAPE'S GiGi Edgley

I bought a ticket. I've met her at a few conventions. She is great.
Old February 21st 21, 22:21   #24
Looney
Telepath

Oh if you didn't do this event you missed it. LOL

So I was given access to the Pre-Show warm up of the GiGi Edgley Event. It is a Zoom Meeting where Fans can start the conversation early and Pat drops in for a minute. Anyway, it was hilarious because there were several hardcore Farscape Fans. They discussed how Farscape was the best Science Fiction Series of all time. And it was mention that it was so good because it was a serialized show that something that happened in Season One might come back and mean something in Season Three. It was quite entertaining. Unfortunately die hard fans won't hear you when you say, "Aaa you need to watch this other show if you want a serialized story."

I've seen Farscape. I enjoyed Farscape, but one place where Farscape fails is that clearly there was no overall arc design. The serialized nature of that story is almost random. Like so many shows that have tried, Farscape clearly had no overall aim, or at least that is how the productions came out. I recommend Farscape. It is a good show, but a brilliant serialized plot it is not. And like so many other shows too many episodes were fantastic for the sake of being fantastic. Too many episodes where characters swapped bodies or went weirdly through time or basically did a weird thing just for the sake of doing a weird thing. It wasn't something that served the arc or anything like that. The shame is that like so many Farscape has a GREAT foundation and GREAT characters, but after you have seen what can really be done with a seriealized story you become keenly aware of those who fail to create one. BUT still, Farscape is VERY entertaining and I do highly recomment it. (That is not sarcasm.)
Old February 22nd 21, 01:36   #25
Karajorma
Commander

Farscape is definitely another show that wasn't given enough chances. I'll agree with you that anyone who liked Farscape probably would enjoy B5 for the same reasons they liked Farscape.

One thing I did love about the show was how they depicted the main character's descent into no longer being quite sane. He's on a spaceship on the other side of the galaxy, cut off from Earth and everyone he knows, forced to interact with aliens for the first time in human history, repeatedly shot and tortured and pursued by someone for a crime he basically didn't commit. Yeah, no way you could stay perfectly sane through all that.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 21, 19:18   #26
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
Farscape is definitely another show that wasn't given enough chances. I'll agree with you that anyone who liked Farscape probably would enjoy B5 for the same reasons they liked Farscape.

One thing I did love about the show was how they depicted the main character's descent into no longer being quite sane. He's on a spaceship on the other side of the galaxy, cut off from Earth and everyone he knows, forced to interact with aliens for the first time in human history, repeatedly shot and tortured and pursued by someone for a crime he basically didn't commit. Yeah, no way you could stay perfectly sane through all that.
So True. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like the show. The characters were portrayed well, the puppets were great characters, all the characters were great, the music is fantastic, the visuals were awesome, the setup of the story is great. My two issues come down to not having a better structured arc and too many weird episodes for the sake of seeming fantastic - like characters body swapping and the like. These are similar issues that I have with SG-1, SGA, and many SciFi series that attempt to serialize their plots. B5 has some weird episode aspects, but there was always some other purpose served, or at least in mind.
Old March 1st 21, 06:38   #27
Karajorma
Commander

I personally love the body swap episode. If only for the fact that John does exactly what most men would do if they found themselves in Claudia Black's body all of a sudden. Every other show I've ever seen has been pretty coy about the issue.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 21, 08:45   #28
Ubik
Commander

Yeah. I enjoyed Farscape. It had a zany aspect to it that really appealed. The puppets were a marvel to behold and overall it remained entertaining throughout.

I also love the body swap episode.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 21, 18:46   #29
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post

I also love the body swap episode.
I am not saying the "Body Swap" episode is a bad episode. I am trying to say there were too many episodes in that vein. There were too many episodes that dealt with the fantastic for the sake of being out there instead of episodes that served the story. The body swap episode served a purpose, but was only slightly relatable to the arc in terms of character interaction and development more than moving the arc along. The body swap episode is just an example I recalled immediately, mostly because I am currently in the early seasons of SG-1 and there are a few episodes of body swapping. It is a plot I find annoying, especially when over done, as in the case of SG-1. But my point is that Farscape could have had a solid arc and it does not. It has somewhat of an arc mixed with a bunch of stand alone episodes that were done because they were doing a SciFi show. They have gimmicks like body swapping and a moody ship or a moody pilot or a time warp or whatever. JMS added in these gimmicky SciFi elements, but they served the overall scheme in one shape or another. Even if the gimmick wasn't the "A" plot there was likely something happening in the "B" plot, or mentioned in the script somewhere that you could tie to the arc. That is not really something you saw in Farscape's arc all the time.

Last edited by Looney; March 1st 21 at 18:48.
Old March 5th 21, 14:45   #30
Looney
Telepath

BABYLON 5 EXTRAVAGANZA 2021.03.20

https://b5events.com/

If you ever wanted to talk to folks behind the scenes then this is the event for you. WOW! What a guest list.