• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Terminator: Dark Fate

Springer

Regular
Has anyone else seen this yet? I really enjoyed this film. It's not quite as good as the first two films, but they are all-time classics, and I thought Dark Fate was a worthy sequel to them. It's certainly much better than the trailers implied, and leagues better than T3 or Genisys. Linda Hamilton and Mackenzie Davis are both excellent, and Arnie is his usual self, and I liked the twist this time with his character. There is a degree of unoriginality to the story, in that it's pretty much the same as previous Terminator films, with a Terminator travelling back in time to kill someone important, but I think that's more telling of the limitations of the basic concept behind the franchise itself, rather than this specific film. The flash-forwards to the future war (both of them) are, as with previous films, some of the best bits.

I kept thinking about the film and pondering its implications for a few days after seeing it, which is a sign I liked it more than usual. I think Dark Fate also lacks the sheer bleakness that the first two films had, which were filled with dread. Although that sense of dread gave them an edginess, I think that actually makes Dark Fate an easier watch for me – as good as they are, I rarely watch the first two because they can be so bleak. There's even a little humour in Dark Fate! I hope they make more films following this new storyline – the ending certainly implies a sequel.

Has anyone else seen this yet? I really enjoyed this film. It's not quite as good as the first two films, but they are all-time classics, and I thought Dark Fate was a worthy sequel to them. It's certainly much better than the trailers implied, and leagues better than T3 or Genisys. Linda Hamilton and Mackenzie Davis are both excellent, and Arnie is his usual self, and I liked the twist this time with his character. There is a degree of unoriginality to the story, in that it's pretty much the same as previous Terminator films, with a Terminator travelling back in time to kill someone important, but I think that's more telling of the limitations of the basic concept behind the franchise itself, rather than this specific film. The flash-forwards to the future war (both of them) are, as with previous films, some of the best bits.

I kept thinking about the film and pondering its implications for a few days after seeing it, which is a sign I liked it more than usual. I think Dark Fate also lacks the sheer bleakness that the first two films had, which were filled with dread. Although that sense of dread gave them an edginess, I think that actually makes Dark Fate an easier watch for me – as good as they are, I rarely watch the first two because they can be so bleak. There's even a little humour in Dark Fate! I hope they make more films following this new storyline – the ending certainly implies a sequel.

Ooooh I have been trying to find time to respond to this. I saw this last Thursday. I did enjoy it, though I did not care for Hamilton. I would have preferred her be more T2 and less alcoholic. Sorry for the spoiler. I mean it doesn't hold a candle to the original 2, but it is superior to all other sequels. My main complaints would be the above mentioned and that not enough was explained because they are clearly saving it for a, my guess never-to-be-seen, sequel. And well, just more needed to be explained. And unfortunately they set this one up for multiple sequels, but it is being called a "huge bomb", so this might be the end of the Terminator franchise. I guess I would be okay with that if the BD release is an extended version with an explanation of this new history.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back