• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Tracking the campaign against recasting

I believe the rumor because people like Joe DM believe it. Joe doesn't seem to be the type of person who would just believe anything. And it isn't like studio executives haven't made incredibly stupid decisions in the past. If WB succeeds in making a lousy B5 film with younger actors, it is just one more reason for me to continue to watch non-American fare like anime & British comedies. I have just about had it with the American entertainment industry.

Tammy

One last question... Who is the War Council?

Sorry, missed that question when I first read your post. The "War Council" is the rather melodramatic name those of us who have been coordinating the effort to influence WB and created the "Babylon Bucks" gimmick bestowed upon ourselves. We communicate and share ideas via a mailing list and (when we remember) a private fourm that I run.

Our individual industry and related contacts are not part of the group, and their names are only known to the individual each of them is in touch with. The specific information they give us is generally kept confidential as well, and we "launder" and paraphrase such facts as we do share with one another. As a rule we don't quote directly from source material in messages to the group, for instance. Mostly we've checked each other's information - "I just heard X, what are you guys hearing?"

Regards,

Joe

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea what kind of a time frame we are looking at here? If casting calls and such have been made, won't some decision have to be made fairly soon-ish? This just seems to have been dragged out an almost impossible length of time. Are we possibly looking at no-new-news for another month? Months? :confused:

My guess ( and it is only a guess - so dont shoot me...) is that there is not a lot of time now until things start moving with TMoS. It is interesting however that only a few characters are mentioned in the casting calls.

:D

But I always shoot people who make incorrect guesses. ;)

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I know nothing about the movie business. So I thought I'd ask, since a few people around here do know something of the way things are done.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea what kind of a time frame we are looking at here?
A couple of days ago I saw an announcement of a new film. It included the names of the actors and was published 1 month before filming started. Assuming this was a normal announcement, it implies that with filming in April the TMoS announcement will be late February or early March.

As for the My Entertainment world page (now rolled off the top)

"Copy of the casting call dated 13 December 2004 from
http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html

(UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By Subscription.

Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS.
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter;
PRODUCER, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski;
DIRECTOR, Steven Beck;
SCREENWRITER, J. Michael Straczynski;
EXTRAS CASTING DIRECTOR, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean Fronk.
Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK).

"

it feels like a copy of a letter someone secretly purchased in the car park using used notes. The extras casting people being on the list is a little suspicious.

If the film is indeed going to start shooting in April (and we have only a rumor to say that is so) then yes, a decision will have to be made soon. OTOH, things sometimes go down to the wire. Viggo M. ended up in The Lord of the Rings after they had begun shooting with another actor.

"if the casting calls are true"

THEY AREN'T.

Let's try this again. Repeat after me:

THERE ARE NO "CASTING CALLS"

Everybody got that?

(UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By Subscription.

NO LEGITIMATE CASTING AGENCY SELLS CONTACT INFORMATION BY SUBSCRIPTION OR IN ANY OTHER WAY. NONE. EVER. PERIOD. END-OF-STORY. THE ONLY WAY A LEGITIMATE CASTING (OR LITERARY OR MUSIC) AGENT MAKES MONEY IS BY COLLECTING A PERCENTAGE OF THE MONEY THE CLIENT EARNS WHEN THE AGENT GETS THAT CLIENT A JOB

No one who charges an upfront fee to an actor or a reading fee to a writer is acting as a legitimate agent. That simply is not how it works in the industry. But there are plenty of parasites hanging around the fringes of the business to fleece the unwary. As a bonus they get to fool even non-actors who stumble across their crap, although that doesn't mean much to them since they don't make money off those folks.

This stuff did not come from the horse's mouth, people, it came from the other end of the horse. The people who run these sites are LIARS and CROOKS who STEAL FROM GULLIBLE WOULD-BE ACTORS. Do I need to post the links to the actor bulletin boards complaining about these site AGAIN?

Major Hollywood studios to NOT cast major roles in the movies by running want ads on the internet. They call established agents and say, "I need a male in this 30s who can play a space marine. Send over your best five clients, here's the place and time." That way they're dealing with professionals who understand who the business works and who don't have to be trained on the job - something no prodcuer or director wants to be saddled with. (Unless the point is to cast complete unknowns, which no one is suggesting is the case here.)

Look, all these sites have done is copy the rumored information from Hollywood North and cobbled it into something resembling a casting notice so they can sign up new marks for their worthless subscriptions. (On the rare ocassions when the studios do genuinely open casting calls - usually for extras or bit players - they are advertised in the trades and the information is available for free at libraries and the like or for the cost of a copy of Variety. And anybody can get it. You don't have to join some bogus website. Probably the reason this outfit added the "extras casting line" is either to make themselves look more legitimate or because casting for extras in the U.K. has actually started - something they would have learned by reading the British industry press. But that doesn't mean anything else in that notice is true.)

Real actors - the kind WB would consider for roles in the movie - have advanced to the point of having agents at the very least. So they hear about open calls from their agents. Those who have a credit or two are members of either the Screen Actors Guild or the Screen Extras Guild. (Or their British equivalents, or both.) They could also find out about open casting opportunities through their unions. Getting members work is one of the things that unions are for.

With all these ways of contacted agent-represented, professional, experienced actors and extras who can do the job, why in the world would Warner Bros. post a want ad on the freaking internet inviting every nutjob who forgot to take his meds to show up at their casting session and explain why he should get the role of G'Kar because he actually is a Narn? Lift your eyes away from the so-called "clues" for a second and try to see the big picture. How likely is it that this is the way a giant Hollywood studio would hire someone for a pivitol role in a multi-million dollar project?

These "casting call" sites don't remotely pass the giggle test, much less offer any reason for taking them seriously. Why are we still talking about them?

Regards,

Joe

These "casting call" sites don't remotely pass the giggle test, much less offer any reason for taking them seriously. Why are we still talking about them?

Evidently not because they haven't been sufficiently discredited.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO LEGITIMATE CASTING AGENCY SELLS CONTACT INFORMATION BY SUBSCRIPTION OR IN ANY OTHER WAY. NONE. EVER. PERIOD. END-OF-STORY. THE ONLY WAY A LEGITIMATE CASTING (OR LITERARY OR MUSIC) AGENT MAKES MONEY IS BY COLLECTING A PERCENTAGE OF THE MONEY THE CLIENT EARNS WHEN THE AGENT GETS THAT CLIENT A JOB

No one who charges an upfront fee to an actor or a reading fee to a writer is acting as a legitimate agent. That simply is not how it works in the industry. But there are plenty of parasites hanging around the fringes of the business to fleece the unwary. As a bonus they get to fool even non-actors who stumble across their crap, although that doesn't mean much to them since they don't make money off those folks.

You misunderstood, Joe. The site than Andrew quotes is what charges for subscriptions to various types of data, not the casting agency. The site isn't any type of agency. Once subscribed, you can see where to send resumes/pictures. For this particular listing, a legitimate casting agency does come up, however it's known for casting indie projects. As CE has said, it's likely another planted 'leak', slightly more detailed than the HollywoodNorth one.

As for why it's still being discussed, perhaps because one of the items of data I'd heard was that casting breakdowns were sent out that included the original characters (other than Galen). Since these are all that's surfaced...

However, you're right, and this is verified by Amy and CE's industry contacts as well. Ain't *no* way that 'name' actors will be looking for booking opportunities on any website. And that's the supposed point to all this, that WB wants movie name actors to replace the TV actors because 'nobody'll come to see TV actors in a movie'.

Jan

<Kosh>
Irrelevant.
</Kosh>

The My Entertainment World site may be a rip-off but that does not mean that it is untrue.

The site is charging money so if it is making things up the Florida Police can arrest them for fraud.

The My Entertainment World site cast list entry is dated 2 days before the Hollywood North Report article. The site is updated at least weekly so its dates may be correct.

I suspect that the club comedians, production crew and the theatre/chorus dancers are the real readers of the site. At that low level a subscription may be cheaper than an agent. The Hollywood star name stuff may just be reproduced to feed their dreams.

Good Morning everybody,

Well.....Nobodyelse have sent any protest re-casting letter lately?

I believe it is important to keep track on those letters, in order to be able to confront with possible future wrong datas.

Since Joe and Jan are leading the campaign, could you add a letter counter?

Regards,

Cadu
Zahadum

Hi, Z. I think it might be a little late for that. I sent a letter soem time ago, and one again fairly recently. But I think the general consensus of opinion is we are probably nearer the end of this campaign rather than the beginning.

Although everyone admits there is no real certainty of when we might hear some kind of an announcement. :confused:

I believe it is important to keep track on those letters, in order to be able to confront with possible future wrong datas.

That would be nice to be able to do, Za_Ha_Dum. Trouble is, even where polls have been posted, the response to them has been really low compared to the number of posts in those threads. Add that to the fact that we (the War Council and the rest of the fans) have done our best to hit every forum and news agency, there's no way to track.

We've got to be prepared for the probability that we'll never know how many letters were sent or whether we had any effect on the outcome unless somebody at WB tells us. I'm okay with that because at least I know I did everything in my power and so do you.

Jan

Jan and Hypatia,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that is almost impossible to have the accurate figure regarding numbers of letters sent, however we could have at least an estimated number based on inputs we would inform.

Regards,

Cadu
Zahadum

Yea, I wish we could have some meaningful estimates, as well. I even asked basically the same question myself somewhere around this board: when/how will we know if our efforts have paid off? It is frustrating, but there just is no way we can be sure we'll ever know.

Even when he's being silent, JMS is very Vorlon-ish, eh? :D

I wrote a fair number of letters concerning B5/Rangers. The letters were to sponsors and Sci Fi TV. I personally only heard from one sponsor. And, I never saw or heard anything about that letter writing campaign except to know that it wasn't effective.

I hit a kind of coupon heaven with one letter-writing campaign. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Rangers, not Crusade.

Campbell's was very generous to me. I had no idea they even made some of those products until they sent me generous coupons for them (some I think were about 5 dollars off :LOL:)

I hit a kind of coupon heaven with one letter-writing campaign. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Rangers, not Crusade.

It would have had to be Rangers because Crusade was dead before it ever aired. :mad:

Jan

Oh, yea. That I knew. But wasn't there a letter writing campaign anyway? At least for those of us who didn't know back then that it was dead before the first episode aired?

I think it was Rangers too, though, because I believe I posted about it here, at this website.

Back