• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

This week's poll at scifi.com

hypatia

Regular
This week\'s poll at scifi.com

VL, I honestly didn't know where to put this, so I'll let you decide where it belongs.

I think scifi.com does their weekly poll every Sunday. Here is last week's poll, with the results as of the moment I voted:

Question:
"Enterprise is done. What new Star Trek do you want?"

Poll results so far:

One in the 23rd century............0%

One in the 24th century............24%

One in Starfleet Academy...........4%

One with new characters............20%

ONe by J. Michael Straczynski......52%

Get out the vote, peeps! ;)

Re: This week\'s poll at scifi.com

As of Sunday night, the vote has diversified a bit, but JMS is still ahead:

08% 23rd Century
23% 24th Century
18% Starfleet Academy
11% New characters
40% By JMS

ONe by J. Michael Straczynski

Because this one option is the reason you probably posted it here, it seems to me to fit plenty fine in a forum about the persons of B5 to me. :)

And maybe I'm missing something out of scifi.com seeming to want to take an hour to download three damned flash banners, but where is this poll at on the webpage?

Thanks, Flounder. What he said. It shows up at the right-hand side of the screen.

As of now results are:

23rd cent - 7%
24th cent - 23%
Star. Acad - 17%
New cast - 10%
By JMS - 43%

Still doing pretty darned well, for a Trek poll, eh? :D

I have to say, I feel somewhat confoozled by the "new cast" option in the poll. All the Star Trek incarnations have had new casts. The only one that could be argued that didn't is DS9 for having Miles O'Brien and eventually Worf, but that's just two characters out of many.

I agree. Also, I wonder why 25th century isn't an option. Weren't TNG, DS9, and Voyager all near the end of the 24th century? If so, jumping ahead just a few years or decades into the 25th century may give a new show all the technology and backstory of the previous series but create enough separation in setting and major story arcs to make it free to tell a different kind of story.

Scifi.com's polls are hardly scientific, I am sure. :LOL:

Besides, don't they usually put in a joke option for the last option in their polls? I consider JMS writing for Trek to be amazing (considering the whole DS9 fiasco), but boy could he breathe some life into that rather dead franchise. :rolleyes:

Scifi.com's polls are hardly scientific, I am sure. :LOL:

And surely even Paramount wouldn't act based upon the results of such a poll ... hmmm ... this is Paramount I suppose :D

Besides, don't they usually put in a joke option for the last option in their polls? I consider JMS writing for Trek to be amazing (considering the whole DS9 fiasco), but boy could he breathe some life into that rather dead franchise. :rolleyes:

But it isn't actually that far-fetched given that JMS and Bryce Zabel were asked to submit a treatment for a new ST series just last year.

[rampant wishful thinking]
Perhaps Paramount took a good look at the treatment and decided that in comparison Enterprise was such utter pants that they needed rid of it asap in order to clear the decks for a new JMS/BZ series.
[/rampant wishful thinking]

;)

That'd be sweet. And yea, I do know of the hints JMS has given in the past that he might be involved (at one point, at least) in a Star Trek project.

I'd just love to have him writing/producing for a major science fiction show again. :(

But it isn't actually that far-fetched given that JMS and Bryce Zabel were asked to submit a treatment for a new ST series just last year.

Not asked - they did it on their own. From JMS's post:

Nope. I said that Paramount approached me about coming on board as an EP, not
show-runner position. Berman and Braga would still have run the thing. I
didn't feel that I could function best in that arrangement.

As for the treatment Bryce and I wrote for another Trek series, as I said, we
wrote it on our own, NOT as an assignment from Paramount.

Just in the interests of accuracy.

jms

Jan

As 2/8/05 2:12pm EST, the results are:

23rd cent - 6%
24th cent - 21%
Star. Acad - 15%
New cast - 9%
By JMS - 49%

Out of 8,351 votes. Pretty cool, indeed.

I voted for JMS of course! I think they should have had an additional choice of: "None, I think Paramount has milked the franchise to death"! Just my thoughts.

Frank

I think they should have had an additional choice of: "None, I think Paramount has milked the franchise to death"! Just my thoughts.

Frank

As much as I like Trek...I sort of have to agree here. I'm really not disappointed with Paramounts overall treatment of Trek the last 10-15 years or so. I think they had some good solid ideas to keep the franchise moving, but only in the last couple attempts did the EXECUTION of those ideas fall short. Heres a recap and my opinions:

Star Trek: TNG

Loved the series. It was fun, it was exciting. There was more character development than the original (although still not a ton by todays standards). It also got back to the original Trek theory where you can tune into the show week after week and ANYTHING can happen. Some episodes had some truly amazing wonders and discoveries. This was the PERFECT way to bring back the franchise to TV in my opinion.

Next step: Deep Space Nine

At first I was skeptical about a station based series for Trek. But seeing as if Paramount was to do a Trek spinoff...they had to do something different. Where this Trek incarnation set itself apart was BETTER characterization than TNG. But what really drew me to this series was the story arcs. First the Maquis plots, then the Dominion threat arc which was emerging. I was really impressed with the storytelling. This was something different than TNG...arc driven and political plot threads. Either way, next logical step was a good one.

Third step: Voyager

I think the IDEA of this step was very solid also. Take a Trek ship and toss it halfway across the galaxy and strand them there. It gets back to the adventure of the TNG series, but still has an overall goal: survival and get home! There was SO much potential here with wonderous and amazing sights that could have been seen and done. This is one case where I think the franchise started to fail. Great idea, and a logical next step for the franchise...but I think they didnt execute on it properly. Had a ton of potential, but poor in realization.

Final step: Back to the Future (Enterprise)

Another logical step. We have a spinoff which was similar to the original in theme and concept (TNG), an arc driven political theme (DS9), a crew trying to get home and exploring parts of the galaxy where literally no one had or could have been (Voyager), and now you have a pre-qual series. Unfortunately this failed in its execution right out of the gate. It was a solid idea, but they didnt even try to execute it until Season 4. Should have been all about the TOS tie-ins and founding of the federation...instead of the early discovery and wonder of exploration and building the foundation of what was to come in TOS...we got crap for the most part. SOLID idea...pretty much no execution.

So after you look at all those ideas, which were solid...where do you go next? Either way, I think we need a permanent vacation...or at least a break until something really solid can be decided and then properly executed. In any event, it may be a bit before everyone is ready for another Trek. Have to let this sour taste from Voyager and early Enterprise get out of everyone's mouth...

I think society has reached a Trek-overdose point. :)

Recoil, excellent summary. I agree completely.

I'd like to think that Trek's vacation wouldn't have to be permanent, but they do need a break, and they do need an infusion of inspiration.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back