B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 3rd 03, 13:50   #21
A_M_Swallow
First One

Re: New Doctor Who!

How unusual for Joe DM and I to have very different views on a subject. I love Dr Who. However I have been watching it since 1963. It is better in colour.

A single episode of Babylon 5 probably has the same budget as an entire season of Dr Who. The children's department of the BBC has never had much money.

The underlying story is that the stream of time has got tangled up and The Doctor has to untangle it. In a documentary about the children's propaganda of the Cold War I saw this week revealed the Cybermen and Darleks are metaphors for the dangers of communism.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 03, 17:47   #22
taichidave
First One

Quote:
As a documentary about the children's propaganda of the Cold War I saw this week revealed the Cybermen and Darleks are metaphors for the dangers of communism.
Actually, the Daleks never struck me as metaphors for anything dangerous, as long as I had a stairway to climb.
taichidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 00:11   #23
Loadhan
Telepath

A stairway ... or a hat to put over their eye stalk.

I love the Daleks ... but seriousily it took them quite a long time to figured out how to do stairs even though they had conquored huge poritons of the universe!

Also ... even if the Master is dead for good ... we're talking about time travel! They could meet the Master from anytime before he met his final demise. And even if there were rules about such interaction ... this is the Doctor and the Master we're talking about!

Also the Riani who only made a few appearances but 'tis another renegade Time Lord out there.
Loadhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 07:18   #24
hypatia
First One

The Riani (or Rani?) was a short-lived but excellent villian for Dr. Who. I think, in many ways, my favorite.

Yes, the Daleks had their flaws as perfect conquerors go. But this is one of the things I tend to forgive Dr. Who for.

Figure they'd normally just waste the building, but if for some reason they had orders to catch the Doctor alive, they'd have to use more subtle means.

I know, I know, it doesn't explain it.

But this is Dr. Who.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 13:35   #25
Zathras
Dead Account

1) Y'think BBC will immediately air Dr. Who in the U.S., or will I have to wait to see how it does in the U.K. before I get to see it on my satellite dish?

2) Y'think they'll use the classic TARDIS control room and set designs, or the H.G. Wells looking design from the 1996 movie?

3) My picks for a new Doctor (if not Paul McGann)...

Ian McDairmid - I think he has a great "Doctor" nose. Y'see it poking out from under that Sith hood in Star Wars?!

Gene Wilder - I know that this ain't gonna happen, but he had such a Who-vian role in "Willy Wonka." He was the master of his element (the chocolate factory) and nothing surprised him there, no matter how weird. He was great at being in control of a seemingly out-of-control situation (very much like the Doctor).

John Vickery - Neroon the Time Lord!
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 13:45   #26
taichidave
First One

Quote:
Y'think they'll use the classic TARDIS control room and set designs, or the H.G. Wells looking design from the 1996 movie?
I doubt they'd use the 1996 control room, if the set even still exists. I thought the TARDIS set design was one of the strongest points of the tele-movie.

I'd wager that they'll update the design, but keep it closer to the classic set.

Anyone else remember the wood panelled "secondary control room" used in a few Tom Baker epsodes?

I liked that style more than the traditional white.
Old October 4th 03, 13:51   #27
taichidave
First One

Quote:
But I swear the headline - and this may well have been a gag - said something about Eddie Izzard playing the Doctor.
Not a gag, but not official.

Comic Izzard tipped as new Dr Who

Tom Baker (Doctor #4, for the unfortunate who don't know) said Izzard had the part, but the BBC said it hasn't made a final decision yet.
Old October 4th 03, 14:25   #28
Demon
Dead Account

Having Eddie Izzard as the Doctor might just get me to watch the series again, which I haven't done since Tom Baker left

Having said that, Alan Davies or Richard E Grant would be good, too
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 17:08   #29
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

If you're gonna wish, ya might as well wish big.

Sean Connery.
ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 03, 18:19   #30
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

No no....too big. Paul McGann for me.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote