• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

BSG Season 1

Alluveal

Regular
Ok, so I have my Netflix queue all filled up with BSG season 1. Someone give me some info! I've heard good things!

Why would we go and do that when you are about to receive them and watch it yourself?

An even better question is, why would you wait until you have them in your queue to have us fill you in and spoil it?

lol.. I don't want spoilers! I just want opinions on it. I'm gonna watch it either way, but I wanted a big red carpet and lots of people saying "oooooo! YOU GOT THAT... you ARE SO GONNA LIKE IT!"

you big weenie!

Just watched disc 2 of season 2 last night. Fun stuff.

So far no mind-blowingly awesome moments like Babylon 5, but also no painfully awful moments like Voyager.

GKE: Season 2 gets sweet near their mid-season hiatus. Basically with most Sci-Fi channel shows, they show half of a season, go on a 3 month break, then come back for the second half in January. I think the DVD set goes up until that break, and its quite a cliffhanger. When things started after the break, the two episodes that have aired so far have been fantastic.

Oh, and back on topic, Season 1 of BSG was great. GKE is right overall, that there aren't as many mind-blowing events like B5 (although the Season 1 finale comes damn close) but then again, B5 never had those in the first season really either. I think you will enjoy it a lot, and be surprised at how much you forget its a SciFi show...

So the new episodes that just started a couple of weeks ago is still "season 2?"

I should've been recording them... damn.

Yep. The Season 2.0 set is only the first half of the second season. The second half is airing now. You missed a couple episodes...rather important ones. Maybe you can find them in re-runs or download them.

I can play criminal mastermind and tell you were to download the two missing ones if you start recording today, fairly easy thing to get to if one has the internet connection and the lack of morals :D (though I don't feel too guilty, considering I .. well .. er .. my sister .. am getting the DVD boxes, which is the first legal chance to get it here) .. and is willing to sacrifice on format, obviousley (though the quality I get off downloaded stuff is quite decent nowadays - TV out to a 27 inch TV with stereo speakers only .. with that layout, there isn't much lacking to DVD quality usually.

To respond to the original request, the show kicks ass, in my opinion.

I just watched season 1, and have some mixed feelings. The pilot was pretty good, but dragged on too long, then came a couple good episodes followed by a bunch of boring ones. Then towards the end of the season it really started to pick up again. I'm not sure what everyone is talking about with the "no big moments" thing because the finale of s1 certainly had more huge moments than pretty much anything in season 1 of B5.

Now I'm a bit amiss as to where I am supposed to go next. I saw it said the S1 finale was the "series finale" and not the "season finale", and then I know there were advertisements for a BSG miniseries to pick up from there, and now I hear people talking about season 2.

Do I move right into season 2 episode 1, or is there a miniseries that came inbetween that I need to find?

Now I'm a bit amiss as to where I am supposed to go next. I saw it said the S1 finale was the "series finale" and not the "season finale", and then I know there were advertisements for a BSG miniseries to pick up from there, and now I hear people talking about season 2.

Do I move right into season 2 episode 1, or is there a miniseries that came inbetween that I need to find?

Miniseries -> Season One -> Season Two
is how it goes. Perhaps whatever you were looking at that refered to the season one finale as being the "series finale" was something written over in the UK as they use the word "series" where those in the US use "season."

lol.. I don't want spoilers! I just want opinions on it. I'm gonna watch it either way, but I wanted a big red carpet and lots of people saying "oooooo! YOU GOT THAT... you ARE SO GONNA LIKE IT!"

Helo is mine, that's all I have to say.

You can have him :)

Roslin is mine though :D (what, me, give people an insight into my taste in women? :rolleyes: :p )

General, I loved season 1, yes :D .. adored it the first time I watched it .. the second time I watched it, certain arcs seemed weak to me and certain plot points less plausible than the first time around .. though I still very much enjoyed it :D

Helo is mine, that's all I have to say.

Ah, so the miniseries is the same thing as the pilot?

As a fan of the old Battlestar Galactica, I was really reticient to watch the new version. I saw the miniseries and wasn't impressed. But then someone got me the season 1 box set, and I have to say I loved it. Its not perfect, there's not that many likeable characters (the most likeable character is probably Baltar, so that's saying something!) and sometimes characters seem to do stupid things for the sake of drama (for instance, what happened between Adama and Roslin in the season finale- at least Apollo came to his senses in the end). But as much as I love the old adventures of Apollo and Starbuck, the new series is its own show, and I can't wait to see season 2.

Well I didn't say there weren't "big" moments, as in events major plot points and events that change things. Every show has those, especially at the end of a season. I was referring to moments that are just really great to watch, regardless of whether they're "big." For Babylon 5, I'm thinking of some of the best speeches or dialogue moments, or Morden telling Londo that Refa was responsible for Adira's death, or Sheridan learning that the Drazi torture victim is a plant, etc. Those moments sent a chill up my spine that no other show has.

What BSG does great is the overall flow, the endlessly watchable nature of the thing.

Wow, I'm really enjoying this. I'm already on Season 2. What's wrong with me? I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the Cylons. :)

Wow, I'm really enjoying this. I'm already on Season 2. What's wrong with me? I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the Cylons. :)
S'okay, you'll go in and out of that feeling. Is it for any Cylon in particular or just in general? I know I've felt that way about Sharon, the poor girl has been through it!

Back