• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sleeping in Light ( november 25, 1998 )

dencor

Regular
I was over at the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 earlier and i realized that today brings us to eleven years sense Sleeping in Light first aired here in the United States. I am not sure if our friends in Europe were able to see it before us. I have not watched the last episode in a few years because I can't stop crying like a wimp everytime. But in the morning, before I hit the road for thanksgiving, I will sit down with tissue in hand and revisit the best ending to a sci fi show ever. To bad, we the fans don't get together in mass to celebrate a tv show that touched us all in one way or another.. So to all the B5 fans out there. If you have the time, Watch SIL today. You never know, all that crying might make you hungrier for Thanksgiving.

dennis

I was over at the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 earlier and i realized that today brings us to eleven years sense Sleeping in Light first aired here in the United States. I am not sure if our friends in Europe were able to see it before us.

I'm pretty sure it aired just before the New Year here... Channel 4 in it's infinite wisdom decided to show the last few episodes in the mornings between Christmas and New Year, as part of the Big Breakfast (man it really has been long).

I always seem to lose it when the obs dome goes up.

I also love the scene where Sheridan looks down the corridor and recalls the past... and then just like an echo it is snatched away. It resonates so much because we have followed the characters and have witnessed the events... and are in a way a part of the story albeit through the barrier of the fourth wall. It also resonates because each of us know places both personal and public... where we get that feeling ourselves - personal places when it's a place that holds special memories and we come to think of bonds of family, friendship and fellowship that were shared there and public because there are some places - old churches, libraries and such... where you just have such a sense of the people who have gone before... even if the place is empty now.

But there's just soooooo much in SiL

I'm pretty sure it aired just before the New Year here... Channel 4 in it's infinite wisdom decided to show the last few episodes in the mornings between Christmas and New Year, as part of the Big Breakfast (man it really has been long).

SiL aired on 1 January 1999 on T4. I remember it well (I even remember the stupid introduction from the T4 presenters).

"Babylon 5" is a poignant story at many places along its five year run. I find it impossible to not shed a few tears when:

Delenn rides in with a Whitestar and three Minbari Sharlin cruisers and tells Clark's Earthforce fleet "Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." in "Severed Dreams."

The salute scene as Sheridan leaves B5 on the Whitestar in "Objects at Rest."

Many, many places in "Sleeping in Light."

I love Delenn's line in Severed Dreams as well, probably one of many moments that made the show great, but for me one of the 3 or 4 moments that made me actually go out and buy the complete series.

What is great is what happened in the scene prior to her historic line. When Sheriden thinks they have survived the battle with the Earth's forces, and all of a sudden more Earth Alliance ships show up?? Just awesome, Sheriden's face is PRICELESS when he thinks all is now truly lost.

Sleeping in Light on Channel 4 in the UK - I kicked the missus out of the room cos I knew it would be very emotional and so it proved. I blubbed like a baby pretty much all the way through it first time.

Passing through Gethsemene - Brother Theo talking to the dying priest - very emotional scene which was done brilliantly.

Marcus Cole in Endgame. Giving your life for someone you love.

Thats just a few - many more good memories to be had.

Sleeping in Light on Channel 4 in the UK - I kicked the missus out of the room cos I knew it would be very emotional and so it proved. I blubbed like a baby pretty much all the way through it first time.

:LOL: I always watch SiL alone, too, for that very reason.

Me to, except for the one time I got a friend to start watching B5 and the agreement was when it came time for him to watch the last episode, we would watch it together. We had a small bet on if he would cry or not. Well, he cried like a newborn baby and I won a steak dinner. Of course I cried to. It was just funny to see a man who rides A harley and has several tattoos fall apart like that. He even told me never to tell any of our friends what happened. His image would be shot. But he became such a fan of the show he had " Faith Manages " tattooed on his forearm.

Me to, except for the one time I got a friend to start watching B5 and the agreement was when it came time for him to watch the last episode, we would watch it together. We had a small bet on if he would cry or not. Well, he cried like a newborn baby and I won a steak dinner. Of course I cried to. It was just funny to see a man who rides A harley and has several tattoos fall apart like that. He even told me never to tell any of our friends what happened. His image would be shot. But he became such a fan of the show he had " Faith Manages " tattooed on his forearm.

For awhile there, I was considering getting Kosh Naranek tattooed on my right forearm and a Shadow Sentient on the other, sort of the B5 equivalent of the branding Kwai Chang Caine had in "Kung Fu."

For awhile there, I was considering getting Kosh Naranek tattooed on my right forearm and a Shadow Sentient on the other, sort of the B5 equivalent of the branding Kwai Chang Caine had in "Kung Fu."

Kosh and A Shadow Sentient. Cool idea KoshN. That would have been a nice effect. And you are a much braver man than me. No tattoos here.

Kosh and A Shadow Sentient. Cool idea KoshN. That would have been a nice effect. And you are a much braver man than me. No tattoos here.

I didn't do it because I thought the tattoo artist might screw it up, and so I wouldn't be happy with it and would be pretty much stuck with something that looked bad/wrong, after having gone through all the damned pain. ARGH, that would really piss me off!

So, no tattoos here, either. However, I do have the "VORLON" license plate (PA). ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back