• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The 4400 - Season 1 Finale (Spoilers)

Recoil

Regular
I realize I am a bit late by a couple weeks with this thread, but I've been kind of busy and my posting time has been minimal. Also, since there really wasn't anything posted about it by now, I'm wondering if anyone really watches this show from here anymore. I remember when the 6 episode pilot was out there was lots of talk about it. Anyway, here is what I thought about it:

Yes, there will be spoilers.

To me it seemed like the end of B5 season 1, except with out the Earth-shaking public event. What I mean by that is, it really was more of a "setting up for bigger things to come" finale than it was a cliff hanger. IMO B5 Season 1 finale wasn't a cliff hanger at all. It just set some big events in motion and let you know there was a lot more coming down in Season 2. I think this finale was similar in that nature.

First, I dont think anyone was surprised that they found a cure for that plague/sickness of the 4400. What I did like about what that situation brought about was the tension between Baldwin and his old boss, who was in the pilot but not the series, until the finale. I also actually can see Ryland's point of view on what he was facing and the decisions he made. I also think that he didn't mean any ill side effects, but was stuck in a bad situation and made some bad calls. I thought the conflict between him and Baldwin was good, and I liked that he called things off at the end.

It was also interesting to see Kyle turn himself in at the end.

Obviously though, the last 3 minutes of the show basically brought up all the questions as to what will be going on next season. With that drug being stopped, now the rest of the 4400s will start seeing their full potential. Richard moving that coffee cup was pretty cool. It is also clear there is a lot more conflict on the way. This show in a lot of ways is similar to JMS's "Rising Stars"

Lastly, I dont think it was a secret that Jordan was never killed. I admit though, I'm curious as to the condition he was in. I figured it was part of a plan or something earlier and that he was alive and well and plotting nasty things somewhere, but it seems he has no clue where he is, looks like Tom Hanks from "Cast Away," and was wandering around where the 4400 first arrived.

All in all, it was for the most part predictable, but there was good tension and drama, and they did a good job bringing up some big questions for Season 2.

Anyone else have thoughts, or am I the only one here still watching it? ;)

I still watch the show and still like it. I have to admit I really really like the theme song so much so that I now have it on my comp.

I knew that Jordan wasnt dead but just wasnt sure when he would show up again. When he shows up next season, that should get Kyle off the hook for his "murder".

The finale did answer one question I had from the beginning; why did just a few of the 4400's exhibit some sort of paranormal powers? With the cure it will be interesting to see what develops. Because of the forced quarentine, I think there will be an even bigger rift between the 4400's and everyone else, especially now that they are going to get more powerful.

I thought that the sudden cure was kind of lame, but really liked it when it seemed Shawn was going to kill Kyle.

Billy Campbell, the guy who plays Collier, most likely will not be available for season two. Last I heard he's on a year-long cruise or something like that, and said season two wasn't doable, but season 3 could be. Not sure how this is going to play into the show, but it seems to me that it may mean Kyle may not get off the hook since Collier may not be seen for awhile.

I'm glad you brought up this topic, because I was a fan of The 4400 this season, and I loved the season finale.

It started off a little slow, dealing with the "plague", but it was the last few minutes that really shine. I like that Diana is finally showing some interest--or at least some appreciation--in the computer guy that's been helping her and Tom. It was good to see her let her hair down (literally), put on a nice dress, and cook dinner for him. The kiss was unexpected. I doubt it's a sign of any attraction or potential for a relationship. It was probably more of a gesture of gratitude, more than anything. It was really no surprise that Maia is predicting things will get worse.

I liked the parts of the ending that were surprising. I too thought Shawn may have been hurting Kyle, but it was good to see that he was freeing him of the blackouts. I like how these cousins are like brothers and care for each other and lean on each other the way they do.

Probably the biggest surprise of all was seeing Isabelle suddenly all grown up. I don't know how they're going to explain that one in season three, but as a moment of shock value, it worked well. I never could have predicted that. The biggest question may be "how", but a close 2nd may be "Why go to Shawn first before even revealing your new age to your own parents." My gut reaction is that Isabelle will be to Shawn what Alana is to Tom, a support/reward for all that he's about to go through.

One question that's always been bugging me is why some 4400s have powers and others don't, especially with Richard Tyler. It's good to see that he will now get a power, and telekinesis is a good one for him. Now, the question is, does Lilly get a power too, or was giving birth to Isabelle her special ability.

It wasn't exactly a shock to see Jordan Collier alive. The fact that his "corpse" went missing seemed to have gone overlooked since it initially happened. It was always in the back of my mind. It may be a bit convenient that him being alive will get Kyle off the hook, but like everything else there are bigger questions. How is Jordan alive? Where has he been? What has he been through in the interim, and why are his clothes tattered? Why do we see him at Highland Beach where the 4400s first re-appeared, and why does he look confused as if he himself doesn't know why he's there (and has apparently not paid much attention to his own appearance)?

I like the way this season went. I love the relationship between Diane and Maia. You don't see child adoptions too much on television. I think it both softened and deepened Diane's character. She went from being a pizza-eating bachelorette to a mother, and she seems to be good at it and enjoying it. After knowing Maia for only around a year, her motherly instinct is in full force, as she has needed to use force, or at least the threat of force, to protect Maia on several occasions.

I think something that needs to be well addressed in season three is the motivation of those in the future that abducted and then returned the 4400. Why send some of them back with special powers that seem so whacked out? The woman with the scarred hands that spread plague wherever she went; what's the point of that? Why put something in Kyle's head that made him shoot Jordan? Why make Isabelle a fetus instead of giving her powers to someone fully grown, and why make her age approximately two decades worth in a matter of minutes? Why give the power of clairvoyance to a child? Is Alana's special ability good for anything else, or was it a one-shot deal to make her and Tom fall in love?

In short, it just doesn't seem clear so far how or why the 4400 are to help save the future. Yes, the potential is there because of the special abilities, but some of the details seem fuzzy. It's hard to see the future-people's plan as being well thought out. And it also seems as if there may be two factions in the future. The minority faction may be trying to stop 4400 intervention. It may be that faction that's taking control of Kyle to kill Jordan. There again, if Jordan was always meant to live (maybe his special ability is invulnerability or resurrection), maybe Kyle supposedly killing him in a public setting is part of the overall plan too. Who knows?

And lastly, why 4400? Is it coincidence that 4400 is vaguely similar to 144000, a number mentioned in the Book of Revelation? Is it a nice high number because they know some 4400s would not survive long enough to help out? And if so, are there redundant powers? Let's say that Maia's clairvoyance is crucial. If she were to die or get killed, is there another clairvoyant out there that could take her place. They've probably lost a few dozen 4400s already, through plague, violence, or special circumstances. Hope none of them were *key* to the overall plan.

Probably the biggest surprise of all was seeing Isabelle suddenly all grown up. I don't know how they're going to explain that one in season three, but as a moment of shock value, it worked well. I never could have predicted that.

OMG Yea! I forgot about that one. That was huge and I never saw that coming. That is definitely one of the biggest quesitons for the new season.

Interesting notes about the guy who played Collier. I would have assumed that he was already on this cruise already, which might by why he was shot in the first place. It may not have been a plot device, but rather a way to get him out of the show will he was on this year long cruise. They could have easily have filmed that scene at Highland Beach right after the scene where he was shot and held it till the finale.

Also, I think they do refer to the seasno that just ended as Season "2", even though to me its really the first true season. So that being said, if they said that Billy Campbell wasn't available for much of Season 2 but would be for Season 3, then we have already seen him gone, and he will be back for the next one.

Again, I think if it really was a case of an actor being available, the shooting of Collier may not have been an intended plot device, but a "trapdoor" as JMS used to put it, to get the character out, then back in again.

Oh, and I almost forgot. What was the deal witht the doctor (Berkoff???) injecting himself with the promycin antedote? That was the one part of the ending montage I didn't quite get.

Yea that was a good one too. They packed so much into that last 2 min that it was tough remembering it all. I'm not sure what was up with that, but it was an interesting twist.

Back