• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anonymous User Query

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I was wondering if there is any explanation as to why sometimes when I view the "Who's Online" page, there are listings under the Anonymous Users section of people making replies to threads that are several years old (without any actual replies ever showing up).

Like right now when I look at the Anonymous Users section, one of the two current listings is this:

Anonymous 02/01/05 04:11 AM Making a new reply Re: Tiny Print

But going to the "Tiny Print" thread, and there's no posts there newer than 2003.

I've seen it a few times too .. just checked and yep, there it is again. :D Recognized the IP (since I was actually wondering about it yesterday) and a whois lookup gives AboveNet Communications as the name that goes with that IP.

I've come across similar things on other boards too and it usually mostly seems to be search engines doing it. Not sure if this is the case here since I know nothing about AboveNet (possible that the IP belongs to one of their customers?).

Probably a disoriented spider... walking along every available link.

It should be possible to direct their wanderings (tell them which links they should, and which they should not follow)... but setting up a comprehensive robot guidance system is difficult.

Robots shouldn't be able to reply though, as the reply link doesn't appear for not-logged in users.

Or it could be we've got ghosts. They're always fun.

...What? I try to liven things up around here and you're all just looking at me!

I was going to say that it was a registered user that had chosen not to be displayed in the "Who's Online" page, but I tried it, and I didn't show up as anonymous, so that wasn't it. :confused:

EDIT: Now I see Anonymous User "Making a new reply Re: Anonymous User Query". So the next reply might be from one of those ghosts :eek: :p

EDIT 2: Maybe that WAS me, only with a lag in time? Somebody try changing the setting. I have to go now.

Re: Anonymous User Query - Ken Vadas

Re: Anonymous User Query - Ken Vadas

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back