• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doom

vacantlook

Super Moderator
So, they're doing a Doom movie. But there's a bit of a big annoyance according to this report. If you want to avoid all spoilers for the film, don't read the report on that page or anything else here in my post.

S

p

a

c

e

The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet.

and

The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

They had a relatively decent baseline plot of us humans on the moons of Mars working on openning a portal into another dimension accidentally openning a portal directly into Hell itself, but no, they couldn't go and use the game's plotline. Instead, let's just rip off the baseline plot of Resident Evil and set it in space. :rolleyes:

Well, there's nothing wrong with that concept overall. There are a rather large number of games that would make for good movies, if they were ever brought to the big screen. Of course, we rarely see faithful renditions, i.e. Resident Evil (and the second RE as well, I'd say), House of the Dead... can't think of any others right now, actually. There was the Final Fantasy movie, but that was meant to be a totally new story, so you can't really say it was a failed attempt at cashing in on something more familiar to fans of the game series.

But anyways, if they would STICK TO THE STORY OF THE GAME, then perhaps the movie wouldn't bomb. Sure, I've played through Resident Evil myself about a dozen times by now, but I would STILL have enjoyed seeing that brought DIRECTLY to theaters as is rather than them changing things around like they did. For example, Metal Gear Solid (any Metal Gear, really) would make for a GREAT movie in my mind, although the games themselves are like unto little movies as it is. Of course, I'm sure SOMEONE would feel the need to start changing names, locations, plotlines and so on, so that in the end the final product feels like it was pieced together by four year olds.

And I DID happen to forget some other game-to-movie gems. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter! However, I felt the first MK movie was rather GOOD. Mostly. It worked for what it was, anyways, AND it tended to more or less stick the game's story. Never saw the second one, but I really haven't heard anything good about it. Street Fighter....... now THAT was some crap. It could be slightly enjoyable crap at times, but... still. Meh.

And to say something in regards to Doom. That plot doesn't sound very good. Perhaps it could work... but I bet it doesssssssssssssssssssn't.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot Wing Commander too. AND Super Mario Bros. Okay, so maybe I CAN'T recall all video game based movies like I thought I could.... Super Mario Bros.... *snickers*

In a video game, the story is just background, secondary to gameplay, and will rely on exaggerated characterisations and archetypes, all of which makes killing bad guys fun and movies terrible.

Video game movies just reeks of lame-ass cynical cross-marketing.

In a video game, the story is just background, secondary to gameplay, and will rely on exaggerated characterisations and archetypes, all of which makes killing bad guys fun and movies terrible.

Got it in one! Wing Commander was a stellar game for it's time, I even play now and then, but the movie didn't even "bite the big one", because THAT might be interesting :devil:

They had a relatively decent baseline plot of us humans on the moons of Mars working on openning a portal into another dimension accidentally openning a portal directly into Hell itself, but no, they couldn't go and use the game's plotline. Instead, let's just rip off the baseline plot of Resident Evil and set it in space. :rolleyes:

Correction, not on Mars' moons, on the Mars itself. And, they didn't tried to open a portal to another dimension, UAC was testing teleporting. It was Dr. Betruger who tried that. I hope you were referring to the third installment of Doom. If not, then I'm partially wrong.

I hope you were referring to the third installment of Doom.

I wasn't; I was referring to the first Doom. Quoting from my first Doom players guide (because they probably put it better than I can):

Your'e a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago, you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation. The UAC is a multiplanetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and it's two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.
For the last four years, the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far, they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently, however, the Gateways have grown dangeriously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or have been stricken with a strange form of insantity -- an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffereing a small set-back, but everything is under control.
A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.
You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence.
Seems your buddies are dead.
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun, you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully, you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.
As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

Here are the first Doom's mission titles.

Mission One - Knee Deep In The Dead
Hangar
Nuclear Plant
Toxin Refinery
Command Control
Phobos Lab
Central Processing
Computer Station
Hangar
Military Base

Mission Two - The Shores of Hell

Deimos Anomaly
Containment Area
Refinery
Deimos Lab
Command Center
Halls Of The Damned
Spawning Vats
Tower Of Babel
Fortress Of Mystery

Mission Three - Inferno

Hell Keep
Slough Of Despair
Pandemonium
House Of Pain
Unholy Cathedral
Mt. Erebus
Gate To Limbo
Warrens

That reminds me. I think I read somewhere, maybe in the manual, that Max Payne was supposed to be made into a feature. Can't remember seeing anything about that.

Though I suppose with what has been said, we should be glad. Still, the storyline would've probably sounded better to the powers that be than the other games mentioned here.

ExCUSE me, hello........are you COMPLETELY over looking Super Mario Bros the movie????? It was only the most artistic, heart wrenching high drama of the last half century!!!! *sniff* .........When the princess is ....*ulp* *sniffle* reunited with he father....and he's....he's been turned into a giant FUNGAS!!!!! *waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh* It's so sad and YET.......so moving at the same time.........

But really....the first Tomb Raider movie wasn't too bad....Jolie did an impressivly good job modeling the same body language of the game's Croft and it turned into a decent little action flick with an unrealized romatic sub-plot that might have multiplied it's quality if it had been pulled off a bit better.

Final fantasy....some people liked it.....frankly they really screwed it up on that one as you could take ANY of the original 3 Final Fantasy stories from the nintendo games and made very good to great live action movies out of them ...with a little flushing out of the concept.....done right they could have spawned some of the greatest sci fi/fantasy film work around.

Mortal Kombat .... if you can get past the cheesy acting, it had a story to tell (the movie, def. NOT the game) and some morals to impart. Beyond those three game-to-movie franchises you're on your own......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back