• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trying to Understand what happened

Za_Ha_Dum

Regular
All of us were really disappointed about TMoS cancelation. Even though we still rather have NO film, instead of a recasted feature.

According to JMS msg we can conclude that the major problem were the recasting issue. They do not take risks with unknown actors/actresses. They need hollywood stars.

Ok. So for those that know well the movie business, please explain how come they produced a TERRIBLE movie, without known characters, probably not a cheap movie....... Yesterday I watched a movie (do not remember the name), that is about fight between humanbeings and Dragons in a completely devastated London area. Simply terrible script.
Also, majority of marvel´s movie does not have hollywood stars......

I wonder what really happened....
:( :( :(

My take is that it looks more like a money problem. Some first time producers decided to make a film. They arrogantly/naively decided to join the big boys and make a blockbuster. They started production – paying for a script and booking a sound stage - and then discovered that no one would lend then $100 million dollars.

When they went cap in hand to Warner Brothers they got the standard excuse we only use big stars in big films. They took this literally and tried recasting.

Yesterday I watched a movie (do not remember the name), that is about fight between humanbeings and Dragons in a completely devastated London area. Simply terrible script.

Do you mean Reign of Fire? I have to admit I kind of enjoyed that, though as a Brit I'm very biased towards a film with such a British tilt.. :)

Reign of Fire was enjoyable in a brainless kind of way ... but, if this is the movie you are talking about, you are wrong in your assertion that it was made without known movie actors - the two leads being Matthew McConaughey (Contact, A Time To Kill among others) and Christian Bale (American Psycho and (soon) Batman Begins).

If you ask me the major problem with RoF was that all the really interesting and spectacular stuff happened between the opening scene (where the dragon is awakened) and the next one (after the dragons have taken over the world), and we didn't get to see any of it.

That and the fact that there were plot holes so big you could drive a small country through them.

It was a movie that had promise but ended up being stupid, insulting, and poorly made and written.

Although, Bale and McConaughy are very well known names...so the argument of no big stars falls flat there.

Besides, never try to understand the minds of suits....it will lead to certain insanity. :rolleyes:

CE

Reign of Fire also had Dr. Julian Bashir and the Borg Queen in it, speaking of casting TV actors in a movie. I still thought it was pointless.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Alice Krieg in Reign of Fire, and then her character is killed before you know it! :eek:

According to JMS msg we can conclude that the major problem were the recasting issue. They do not take risks...

Then, they should get out of the movie business.

... with unknown actors/actresses.

The B5 and Crusade actors/actresses are NOT unknown.

They need hollywood stars.

Actually, they want movie actors/actresses.

What they need, what they REALLY need, are their heads examined. Somebody should peek inside to see if the interior is not a perfect vacuum.

What they need, what they REALLY need, are their heads examined. Somebody should peek inside to see if the interior is not a perfect vacuum.

Well, no doubt about it.

Yes I was refering Reign of Fire. However, I could not identify one single Hollywood star in the movie. You guys mentioned names that are not stars such as: Mel Gibson, Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Samuel Jackson, Morgan Freman, Angeline Jolie, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, Halle Berry, etc....

People you mentioned are second class actor/actress. Probably, TV stars are considered third class actor/actress. It is stupid, but.....That´s is the Vanity and egos of Hollywood...

B5 has plenty of established movie actors.........

Claudia Christian:

Clean and Sober
The Chase
The Hidden

( We'll ignore ones like "A Gnome Named Gnorm" )

Bruce Boxleitner:

The Gambler
TRON
Kuffs
Gods and Generals

Andreas Katsulas:

The Fugitive
Next of Kin
Someone to Watch Over Me
Sunset

( we may want to omit Hot Shots! Part Deux....... :eek: )

Peter Jurasik:

Runaway Jury
Mr. Jones
Problem Child
TRON

Stephen Furst:

The Dream Team
Animal House

Bill Mumy:

Papillon

[Vir]
Maybe it's just me ..........but I think we should be........Impressed.
[/Vir]

Seems like plenty of big screen, mainstream, time amongst the B5 core.........not all recent, but cetainly should carry some recognition among the public, for various roles.

( did anyone else know that Sheridan and Sinclair had been in the same tv movie together back in the 80's.....???......Fly Away Home? COOLness. )

and

Mira Furlan:

I couldn't pronounce any of their names........ :eek:

Well, I don't know if we could refer to it as a great deal, she's only been on 2 out of 18 episodes thus far.

She was apparently a big actress back home in Croatia though, her IMDB profile is pretty darn full with foreign titles.

My take is that it looks more like a money problem. Some first time producers decided to make a film. They arrogantly/naively decided to join the big boys and make a blockbuster. They started production – paying for a script and booking a sound stage - and then discovered that no one would lend then $100 million dollars.

When they went cap in hand to Warner Brothers they got the standard excuse we only use big stars in big films. They took this literally and tried recasting.

I think Mr. Swallow's explanation is the best I've heard so far. Of course I have no inside info and all I know about the situation I read here, but I do like the sound of it. It makes sense (so it's probably wrong).

B5 has plenty of established movie actors.........

Claudia Christian:

Clean and Sober
The Chase
The Hidden

( We'll ignore ones like "A Gnome Named Gnorm" )

Not to forget "The substitute 3" :D Sorry, I could not help it ;)

The whole idea of recasting is leaving my brain in a state of rapid brain cell destruction. Honestly I don't care how popular Mel Gibson or Brad Pitt are, they never could stand up to the established crew. There isn't one big name actor that could live up to the original. Simply because those actors have grown into their parts in a way that makes them inseperatble. I mean the character with the actor, not the actor with the character.

Anyway, those big names have also one certain disadvantages, even if they can act to a certain extent (yes, some can even if I can't stand them), they will be mainly always be "Mel Gibson", "Tom Cruise" and then they will be the actor ...
I mean quality story and big names seldom mix, people see Babylon 5 for the complex story and their well drawn and complex characters, not to see one famous guy running around in sandals, nearly butt-naked. (Sorry, don't want to insult Troy fans, but that seemed in my opinion the main basis for the movie)

Okay I stop now, I just needed to express my inability to understand what is wrong with those producers. *bah*

Yes, I agree. Sounds the most logical answer.

Anyway, those big names have also one certain disadvantages, even if they can act to a certain extent (yes, some can even if I can't stand them), they will be mainly always be "Mel Gibson", "Tom Cruise" and then they will be the actor ...
I mean quality story and big names seldom mix, people see Babylon 5 for the complex story and their well drawn and complex characters, not to see one famous guy running around in sandals, nearly butt-naked.

Yeah, Barbayat. As a B5 fan I agree with you, however as a investor, that no nothing about the complex universe of B5, and care a damn, just want to have my money invested back as fast as possible and with profit. Since the strategy is to bring new audience, it is necessary to have a big name to call regular people´s attention.

Bottom line, TMoS would not be a movie thought to be made for B5 fans.......Unfortunatelly.......

Have a good day,

CADU
Zahadum

Yeah, Barbayat. As a B5 fan I agree with you, however as a investor, that no nothing about the complex universe of B5, and care a damn, just want to have my money invested back as fast as possible and with profit. Since the strategy is to bring new audience, it is necessary to have a big name to call regular people’s attention.

Bottom line, TMoS would not be a movie thought to be made for B5 fans.......Unfortunatelly.......
A big name star immediately adds $5 to $10 million dollars to the cost of a film. It takes a lot of extra viewers to overcome that.

The name "Babylon 5" is a BIG NAME in its own right.

The guest star roles in TMOS are natural places to use A and B list stars. Just have a look at any James Bond film.

A big name star immediately adds $5 to $10 million dollars to the cost of a film. It takes a lot of extra viewers to overcome that.

The name "Babylon 5" is a BIG NAME in its own right.

The guest star roles in TMOS are natural places to use A and B list stars. Just have a look at any James Bond film.

Apparently adding the cost of hollywood stars, which is expressive, you also add the enterprise risk. So what you said make sense to me, but the decision makers think otherwise.

About B5 be a BIG NAME....WelI, I do not know how much of this is our WILL and the real fact. X-FILES is a BIG NAME, because this serie were launched here in Latin America, as well as: Star Trek and Lost in Space. If you think, all of the mentioned series had its feature film version.

Have a good day.

Cadu
Zahadum

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back