• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What is JMS doing?

Za_Ha_Dum

Regular
I wonder how busy is JMS. He hasn´t written for a while at his web page. Do you guys know what is going on?

Take care.

Here's his IMDB page, of what's coming up and in development for Movies/TV (Though I believe he's off World War Z, not sure why it's still listed?)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0833089/

Plus, I imagine he's pprobably got comics in the work and possibly involved in more script books with CafePress

He hasn't posted much on the moderated newsgroup lately (which is where the items come from on the JMSnews.com site). Seems like he's posting to his Facebook page instead lately. His personal page, not the fan page.

He's got a Superman graphic novel, Superman: Earth One, due out in September and he takes over the regular writing of both Superman and Wonder Woman effective with the July issues.

He was recently in Berlin working on preproduction on what I'm pretty sure is 'The Flickering Light' which he wrote and plans to produce and direct.

He recently had a cameo on the new Thor movie. The role apparently stems from his time writing the Thor comic.

Jan

He recently had a cameo on the new Thor movie. The role apparently stems from his time writing the Thor comic.

Jan

Heh heh. Let's hope it's not at the end of the film, with him flicking a switch that dims all the lights in Asgard... and then blows it up.:devil:;)

World War Z is still listed because the final script will be something to which he contributed. The studio hired someone to do rewrites on his script, but he still gets credit. Not quite the same as getting fired.

So he's doing both the Superman comic AND the reboot? Just going by how some Spider-man fans reacted to the changes he made on that title, I imagine some Superman fans reacting negatively, since he'll almost certainly be making big changes to the regular title as well. I'm biased, though, I just want more B5 comics! Can't say I care much about new takes on the classic characters.

Does anyone know anything about 'Flickering Light'?

Raw Shark

"Let them eat lead."
Marshal Law

Jan,
Is his personal facebook page used for any project updates or announcment? I can only find the fan page. If so, any chance of getting them archived at JMSNEWS ?

Darth_Librarian,
That seems to be what he's using the page for, updates on what he's doing. He posted this on Sunday:
JMS said:
Demonstrating a serious lack of decorum on their part, the Orange County Screenwriters Association has invited me to talk about writing on May 22nd at the Regency South Coast Theater in Santa Ana. It's open to the public, with the first hour spent on general business before I show up. So the services start at 10 a.m., the trouble begins at 11, and the first arrests should commence by noon.
I have permission to repost but I'd have to check into getting them archived since it's not something that can be automated, I don't think.

Jan

So he's doing both the Superman comic AND the reboot? Just going by how some Spider-man fans reacted to the changes he made on that title, I imagine some Superman fans reacting negatively, since he'll almost certainly be making big changes to the regular title as well.

Raw Shark, you should read my other thread where JMS's thoughts on Superman are put in print. As I'm sure we are all aware... JMS is a good pair of hands if not always safe (a bit like Aslan in that respect).

He won't mess with WHO Superman is because he totally gets him. I'm sure he'll shift major blocks around whilst exploring the fundamental nature of Superman... but JMS understands the importance of the universal appeal of Superman (loved his comments about Palestinians wearing the S).

As to Spidey, I liked what JMS was doing there... and I totally respected him having his name struck off the finale of "One More Day".

Quesada is a moron... and I hope those who did complain about JMS realised just what they's lost when that happened and he went over to Thor.

I liked his Spidey stuff, too. I'm not a character purist, I just follow good writers, JMS being one of 5 or 6 I really dig. I heard a lot of fans were really unhappy with One More Day, then heard JMS took his name off it, so I stopped reading the title at that point. For my money, the best thing he wrote for Marvel was Supreme Power. I still don't know much about why he left that title, but I heard it had to do with Marvel/Quesada interference and broken promises. Does anyone know more about it? Frank Miller and Jim Starlin left Marvel complaining of similar problems, so it seems all too plausible.

But I do get a kick out of the comic purists complaining that every change is some kind of sin. Life's just so unfair, <sniff!> isn't it?

Jan, if you found a way to get his postings over to jmsnews, that would be awesome! Not sure if JMS accepts random people as friends or not.

Raw Shark

"Hell, Reno's just like Mayberry, except prostitution's legal and everyone's on crystal meth."
Junior, Reno 911!

I liked his Spidey stuff, too. I'm not a character purist, I just follow good writers, JMS being one of 5 or 6 I really dig. I heard a lot of fans were really unhappy with One More Day, then heard JMS took his name off it, so I stopped reading the title at that point. For my money, the best thing he wrote for Marvel was Supreme Power. I still don't know much about why he left that title, but I heard it had to do with Marvel/Quesada interference and broken promises. Does anyone know more about it? Frank Miller and Jim Starlin left Marvel complaining of similar problems, so it seems all too plausible.

Think you might be getting a little mixed up. the big Spidey hoo hah is I think over BRAND New Day, not One More Day.

Basically at the end of the latter Quesada imposed his own personal opinion on the spider-Marriage by having th Parkers make a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May (the Faustian flip being that their marriage would end forever and only a small subconscious part of them would be aware of what they had lost).

Firstly, only the clinically insane... even if they felt responsible, would make anything like that kind of bargain.

Secondly it's rubbish writing and motivated by one man's poor desire and view on marriage in the modern world... it's been an obsession and now he's got his wish.

It was when Quesada played that card at the end of OMD that JMS asked for his name to be struck off.

Darth_Librarian,
That seems to be what he's using the page for, updates on what he's doing. He posted this on Sunday:
JMS said:
Demonstrating a serious lack of decorum on their part, the Orange County Screenwriters Association has invited me to talk about writing on May 22nd at the Regency South Coast Theater in Santa Ana. It's open to the public, with the first hour spent on general business before I show up. So the services start at 10 a.m., the trouble begins at 11, and the first arrests should commence by noon.
I have permission to repost but I'd have to check into getting them archived since it's not something that can be automated, I don't think.

Jan

I hope its not too much of a task, it would be great. I'd also feel slightly odd about 'friending' him. If there is some sort of RSS feed in facebook for posts, that could possibly be grabbed and wrangled?

I hope its not too much of a task, it would be great. I'd also feel slightly odd about 'friending' him. If there is some sort of RSS feed in facebook for posts, that could possibly be grabbed and wrangled?
I wrote and asked DougO about the possibility of archiving what JMS puts up on his Facebook page. I don't know if it could be done automatically but it's not so many that it would be hard for me to put them up individually (once I learned how). Stay tuned...

I also try to ensure that any major JMS-related announcements are put up in the 'Site News' section of the archive page.

As for friending him, he posted recently that he's got a major backlog of requests and doesn't know when he'll be able to get to them.

Re: One More Day - JMS didn't quite take his name off of the last couple of issues but he almost did, which is why there's a shared writing credit with Joe Quesada.

Jan

Galahad, I think you're right, I'm mixed up. I'm not sure what One More Day is, it's in storage, but the story you describe is one I haven't read. Pretty glad I didn't, too, it doesn't sound so good. Does anyone know why JMS left Supreme Power? That was my favorite of his Marvel projects, a lot like Rising Stars but much better. Was it because he had to fold the story into the Marvel universe?

Ah, comics, so frustrating. Kind of like when your favorite show with Gary Cole gets canceled...

Raw Shark

"Your Honor, we sincerely want to grow up and change our irresponsible ways... and I'm not just saying that."
D.R.

" 'sright."
Quinch

Does anyone know why JMS left Supreme Power? That was my favorite of his Marvel projects, a lot like Rising Stars but much better. Was it because he had to fold the story into the Marvel universe?
What JMS has said at conventions was that when the book went to a group focus rather than mainly concentrating on Hyperion, he felt that he 'began to suck' so he told Marvel that they should find another writer. Guess they never did. A lot of fans were upset that he left on a cliffhanger but I gather that he thought that would be a good place for a replacement to pick it up.

Jan

I never read Supreme Power, but I have to say, it's a rare artist who takes himself off a project because he doesn't think his work is up to the story's par.

When I started reading Supreme Power, I kind of assumed JMS had a big, complete story written out to some extent, and purposely wanted to avoid what he acknowledged as mistakes he made when he wrote Rising Stars. Namely going in the direction of a common super-hero action comic for several issues. And Supreme Power seemed so meticulously written, I'm not sure how he could have gotten off track. Unless there was more interference from Marvel, or he lost interest in the title due to the interference he endured on other titles. Whatever the case, it's just another example of a cool comic cut short in its prime. Which is why limited series work so much better.

I wonder if JMS is still interested in writing a Grimjack movie? Done properly, it would need a lot of FX. I haven't heard of any comments he's made on the project in well over a decade, so he's probably moved on.

Raw Shark

"I hope you know what you're doing, Mollari."
Lord Refa

For those interested in his comic work, JMS has been nominated for an Eisner Award in the category Best Single Issue (or One-Shot) for Brave and the Bold issue #28 - “Blackhawk and the Flash: Firing Line”.

Jan

Nice! Any idea what 'Flickering Light' is, other than a feature film? I've lost track of what's what, as far as JMS projects go. I'm sure I'm not alone. But I'm really curious about his sci fi trilogy he mentioned a while back...

Raw Shark

"Communism killed 100 million people and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."
From a Che Guevara shirt

According to IMDb, "The Flickering Light" is about:
Prisoners at a Gypsy concentration camp are pulled out for a task they could never have anticipated. Based on a true story.

Don't know about the trilogy. Maybe one of the things to be announced at Comic-Con?

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back