• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dr Who - Season 30 (4) [SPOILERS]

Re: Dr Who - Season 30 (4)

It's terribly difficult backreading and avoiding plot spoilers to answer one simple question, so I'll just apologize for asking what you've likely already covered some pages ago:

Is David Tennant going to be replaced as the doctor after this currently running season? I tried to google some gossip on the subject, but what I found was rumors from 2006 that did not pan out (he didn't quit after his second season with the show).

Nope, he is in this series and in for 2009, but the show itself will be a bit different for a year.

After this season (2008), the show's production will be slowed down for a year to allow for some changes and a revamp, including Steve Moffat taking over as head of the show. It will also allow anticipation to build and hopefully inject some new creative ideas into the show, which is begining to flag a bit.

In short, for 2009:

1) There will be 4 specials spread through out 2009 instead of 12 episodes + 1 special, which take a whole year to film. This is I suspect a cause of 'creative burnout'.

2) This will also give Tennant some time to carry on as Hamlet in the West End.

3) At the end of these specials, or during them, Tennant may or may not regenerate. He has said he is doing all of the specials, and has not yet been asked if he will be in the 2010 series, but would consider this if asked. (http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkEkAFuEFlpkcjXcoK)

4) There will be a full series in 2010.

5) Moffat may want a new Doctor anyway. Both Bill Nighy and Robert Carlise are rumored to replace him.

6) Torchwood is also being cut down, its format going to a 5 episode weekly series to allow for a change of format, move towards a more family-friendly audience and to introduce some new characters. I for one welcome both of them to the show. It would be great if this show became something for companions to do after they quit the Tardis.

I got most of this from lurking at outpostgalifrey.com and drwhoforums.comm but some of it may be off. This is to the best of my knowledge anyhow.

Last edited:

Hey Doc its been a fun little debate we had please do keep posting, we need new voices here.

The funny thing is, I'm not really new to the site. I've been lurking this place since B5TV.com linked to a proper web page and not just directly to a forum menu. I still come here dreading another message at the top of the forum saying someone else from B5 has died. I just didn't sign up until this morning.

Thanks, Darth. All I caught in the posts here before yours were a few snippits and that Capt. Jack's part would be cut back in Torchwood, as well as two of the others being replaced. Torchwood with less Captain Jack would probably eliminate my attraction to the show. It doesn't stike me as a "Dr. Who" kind of a show, where replacing the doctor is common, and expected.

So they are working around Tennant's career, that's interesting. And he'll be around a bit longer, at least. Then, who knows? Thanks for the update. I was having an awful time trying to backread for one piece of information while avoiding too many plot points. :LOL:

Thanks, Darth. All I caught in the posts here before yours were a few snippits and that Capt. Jack's part would be cut back in Torchwood, as well as two of the others being replaced. Torchwood with less Captain Jack would probably eliminate my attraction to the show. It doesn't stike me as a "Dr. Who" kind of a show, where replacing the doctor is common, and expected.

So they are working around Tennant's career, that's interesting. And he'll be around a bit longer, at least. Then, who knows? Thanks for the update. I was having an awful time trying to backread for one piece of information while avoiding too many plot points. :LOL:

Originally that was the impression given.. that the break was so Tennant could do his thing.. but now they insist that the break was always in the cards and that Tennant is doing what he's doing because of the break and not the other way around. Which is the real case? Only they know for sure.

Well it's probably that in the original timeline, the Timelords were not going to get wiped out... but then it's the Doctor who doomed his own homeworld and people... in a bid to wipe out the Dalek menace forever.

He may well have changed the timeline from the one that the Timelords perceived.

The Forest of the Dead. Great episode.

You could go crazy trying to think about it too much though. Do the Doctor and River really have a 'thing' in the future because they are attracted to each other? Or does the Doctor do the things with River because he knows he already has? Does he reveal his name because he trusts her, or because he knows that she needs to tell it to him in the library?

Is it just a self-fulfilling prophecy, circular logic, or shall I just let my head explode?

Someone somewhere else has also suggested that the Doctor now has two screwdrivers; his normal one, and the one River had. Is that other screwdriver going to keep travelling in a loop through all time from Doctor to River?

Blea! I'll wait for the T-shirts on Cafepress.

Question for the Doctor now... do you hail from my corner of the universe? The intentional misspelling of Torchwood as Touchwood begs the question... are you a Solihull Man (Touchwood is the name of their shopping centre)? In B5TV terms, thats practically just down the road from me.

Yes interesting thoughts on that blog... I certainly don't think it has to do with The Doctor's eventual demise... because he was still alive when River left him.

It reminded me very much of The Doctor's attitude in The Family of Blood

"He never raised his voice... that was the worst thing. The fury of the Timelord. And then we discoverd why - why this Doctor who had fought with gods and demons, why he'd run away and hidden... he was being kind."

2) This will also give Tennant some time to carry on as Hamlet in the West End.

Call me crazy but I'm sure he was doing Hamlet up here in Shakey Shakespeareland... and not in Londinium.

Yeah I just checked the RSC website... I'm correct. Contrary to the wider world's popular belief there is life outside the capital.

It'stime to stakeout the Courtyard theatre... the odd thing is that last year, Sylvester McCoy was there performing in The Seagull.

Last edited:

My silly mistake. I assumed culture was limited to the square mile ;), even though that is the tourist trap that is Stratford (he says whilst living in another tourist trap). It is also rumored to move to the West end afterwards. Anyway, I saw the Tempest in Stratford years ago, it is a really great venue.

Robert Carlyle, also Begbie in Trainspotting and the baddie in 'The World is Not Enough'. Also was in Eragorn and played Hitler. He's quite Hollywood, so it would be a coup to get him in Dr Who as the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001015/

Last edited:

Question for the Doctor now... do you hail from my corner of the universe? The intentional misspelling of Torchwood as Touchwood begs the question... are you a Solihull Man (Touchwood is the name of their shopping centre)? In B5TV terms, thats practically just down the road from me.

Unfortunately, I come from the side of the pond that pronounces Jaguar with a W.

More specifically, I live on the west side of America's wedding-tackle. (Florida) Poor Cuba, we've been geographically relieving ourselves on them for ages.

Back to Forests of the dead, I just read an interesting theory here.

I have just one problem with that theory: I've been lurking on Outpost Gallifrey/DWF since before the switchover, and in that time it has become rather painfully obvious to me that many Doctor Who fans are extremely allergic to the idea of The Doctor having intimate feelings for anyone. Ever. I get the feeling they can't even truly accept Susan Foreman exists. They seem to go out of their way to come up with alternate theories that would eliminate "the L word" from The Doctor's vocabulary. Perhaps it reflects upon their own personal experiences, or lack thereof..

Last edited:

Doctor saw Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, on Youtube both great episodes, Moffat wrote them? Well alright I won't throw Torchwood under the Bus, Just yet . If Moffat can write stuff like that then just maybe Torchwood has a chance, we'll see though.

I think the last two episodes have been absolutely brilliant. Some of the best TV shows I've ever seen, let alone some of the best Doctor Who episodes I've ever seen. I, for one, welcome our new Moffat overlord.

I would have to agree, I don't suppose you know whether we will get the to see Daleks vs Sontarans this season? would love to see that match up. They talked about it as a story possibility this season.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back