• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Gathering

Keep Chapel

• Total voters
Heh! It is pretty fun that the Vorlon ships were visually designed off of the shape of garlic. Maybe that's why Vorlons are so secretive: they don't want people to smell their garlicy breath! Heh!

Ah, great! Urban, it's always fun to see a newbie's perspective on the series. I can see it again for the first time, vicariously...

Nice to see that you started with The Gathering Urban Roy :thumbsup:

While it is far from the best B5 it does set the scene nicely.This is no nice Federation of Planets but a group of aliens that hardly trust each other stuck together on a station.

I have to agree with you about Londo,my favourite character of the show :bolian:

I would suggest that you start your own thread to discuss the show if you want to avoid spoilers as these EpDis are full of them.I would also suggest avoiding most of the rest of the forum as spoilers are littered everywhere :LOL:

You should be safe in NC-17,if you can call that place safe :devil:

I look forward to reading your thoughts as you watch the show. Thanks for posting them!

Ah, great! Urban, it's always fun to see a newbie's perspective on the series. I can see it again for the first time, vicariously...

It's a pleasure! It's great for me to get some reaction from people who know what they are talking about. I get the feeling that this is the kind of show that is going to end up multilayered and convoluted so having somewhere I can discuss it is just fab. Trying to discuss this around the water cooler at work just gets me strange looks...

I would suggest that you start your own thread to discuss the show if you want to avoid spoilers as these EpDis are full of them.I would also suggest avoiding most of the rest of the forum as spoilers are littered everywhere :LOL:

If no-one minds I'll keep posting on the individual threads for each episode as it seems the best place (and as a Newbie I'm not cocky enough to want to be starting my own threads). I am planning to avoid actually reading each EpDis until I have seen the episode in question to avoid the worst of the spoilers but I don't have the best memory so I'm sure that I''ll be fine.

I am watching The Gathering now, and I have a question...or really more of a puzzled observation. When Kosh`s ship is docking at the station, control of his ship is turned over to C&C. Yet later in the series much is made of how big a mystery his 'living ship' is. So, how did they control and dock it?

Also....something that has struck me since I first started watching...well, I guess it was years ago. I think JMS liked to play with our prejudices a little. He made Londo a sympathetic character at first, and G`Kar the villian....then switched them about (at least partially). I think people were very ready to accept that the more 'human' looking Londo was a good guy, and the very 'alien' G`Kar was the evil. I wonder how some reacted when they were 'switched'?

ETA I am also very glad they changed Delenns chin and softened her look somewhat. It was somewhat...odd looking, though that just could be because I am used to the later version of her.

Last edited:
I am watching The Gathering now, and I have a question...or really more of a puzzled observation. When Kosh`s ship is docking at the station, control of his ship is turned over to C&C. Yet later in the series much is made of how big a mystery his 'living ship' is. So, how did they control and dock it?

Also....something that has struck me since I first started watching...well, I guess it was years ago. I think JMS liked to play with our prejudices a little. He made Londo a sympathetic character at first, and G`Kar the villian....then switched them about (at least partially). I think people were very ready to accept that the more 'human' looking Londo was a good guy, and the very 'alien' G`Kar was the evil. I wonder how some reacted when they were 'switched'?

ETA I am also very glad they changed Delenns chin and softened her look somewhat. It was somewhat...odd looking, though that just could be because I am used to the later version of her.

Was it actual control of the ship, or was the ship simply towed in

Nice observation about G'Kar and Londo, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I was surprised to see them changing roles on the first evidence of it

Delenn, I don't seem to recall thinking she looked that strange on the airing of the original Pilot, but, yea, definitely her look in the Gathering is very strange now, after becoming so accustomed to her later look. So, that may be it (or4 I may just not remember how odd she looked on the original airing of the Pilot)

I almost can't wait until the normal TV season ends in May, I've been looking forward to having the time to start the series over myself

Was it actual control of the ship, or was the ship simply towed in

Nice observation about G'Kar and Londo, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I was surprised to see them changing roles on the first evidence of it

Delenn, I don't seem to recall thinking she looked that strange on the airing of the original Pilot, but, yea, definitely her look in the Gathering is very strange now, after becoming so accustomed to her later look. So, that may be it (or4 I may just not remember how odd she looked on the original airing of the Pilot)

I almost can't wait until the normal TV season ends in May, I've been looking forward to having the time to start the series over myself

She (Takashima (sp?) says "please surrender control of your vessel to our central computer on my mark" (I just reversed to make sure :)) So, I am puzzled. It is a small thing really, and I don`t want to nit pick the show. Even JMS couldn`t have every little detail ironed out before the rest of the eps aired, although I think he has managed it the best of any series I have seen.

Thanks for the praise. I don`t take it lightly. From what I have read here, your posters certainly know their stuff! I think this is the right place to expand my knowledge!

As for Delenn...she seems much more 'spotty' and her chin is best described as 'agressive' ;)

I am watching "The Gathering" (newer version). And I have read the first couple posts here
http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9892

and i`m still a bit confused as to the order of the series and the movies. I tend to watch things chronologically when possible, regardless of when they were made, so I guess The Gathering is my starting point. I have watched the series many times, the movies less as I didn`t get them until much later.

I think it's just a matter of one computer talking to each other but no data was exchanged that didn't pertain to docking maneuvers. I'd imagine that the Station would insist on taking control to ensure that rotation was matched completely. That there were other aspects to the ship, like the skin that could communicate and morph into weapons when a threat was perceived wouldn't be something that could be 'noticed' by a machine such as the docking computers. That required actually seeing the ship up close and personal by a sentient being.

Jan

Since docking isn't quite as instant as we see it (with it being, one a dramatic show, and two, only 40-some minutes long, we don't get the entirety of the docking procedure depicted), maybe when a ship first arrives at the station and is assigned a spot in the docking queue, a docking program is uploaded to a ship's system to enable the station's computer system to adjust the ship's movement -- thinks like, rotate ship however many degrees, adjust trust this way and that, etc -- so that the ship can dock. Ships, like shuttles, that are standard for shipping passengers between a starliner or battleship to the station might come preloaded with the software.

Oh, and I still like the ears on Delenn in The Gathering more than I do the ears they gave the Minbari in the show-proper. I'm fine with softening the brow and chin, but the show's ears look like the flat prosthetic that they are; but, The Gathering ears look like actual ears with a canal into the head and all.

Oh, and I still like the ears on Delenn in The Gathering more than I do the ears they gave the Minbari in the show-proper. I'm fine with softening the brow and chin, but the show's ears look like the flat prosthetic that they are; but, The Gathering ears look like actual ears with a canal into the head and all.

I didn`t notice her ears. I`ll go back and look. :)

You are absolutely right! I always disliked the Minbari ears in the series. The pattern on her 'bone' is different also, isn`t it?

Yeah, the bones are quite a bit different. The bones in the series are a greyish blue, where as the one in The Gathering is brownish.

and i`m still a bit confused as to the order of the series and the movies. I tend to watch things chronologically when possible, regardless of when they were made, so I guess The Gathering is my starting point. I have watched the series many times, the movies less as I didn`t get them until much later.

Sorry, KoshN generally posts an explicit response to such requests, that must be a thread he didn't get a chance to reply to. One of the Kosh (KoshN or KoshFan), or maybe even VacantLook or a couple others may provide a better slightly adjusted list (including Movies), but, this is the Lurker's guide version, which also includes the JMS preferred order of the mangled continuity of Crusade (D@mn you TNT)

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html

Last edited:
Thanks again. I really appreciate all the responses to my questions. I truly feel like an amateur here when I read some of the in-depth discussions between some members here. I hope I am not being too much of a pest! :)

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the responses to my questions. I truly feel like an amateur here when I read some of the in-depth discussions between some members here. I hope I am not being too much of a pest! :)

Oh, on that list at that link, you can click on each episode title and be taken to an analysis of the time with some more recent updates as well, so that may be fun for you to try as you're watching, if you didn't follow the Lurker's Guide back in the Day

I agree completely that JMS was playing with our prejudices. But, I don't think G'Kar was exactly a villain. He was made out to be an angry, accusatory, hot-head, which is not exactly a sympathetic character to most people. But, he and the Narns had every right to feel that way, given their history with the Centauri. So, I liked G'Kar from the start, because I sympathized with his feelings right away. He grew to be by far my favorite character.

Oh crud! I just voted in the poll at the top of this discussion, then realized it isn`t the poll for this ep. What is "Keep Chapel"?

The polls got seriously messed up somehow, none of them match their threads. The internet does strange things sometimes...

The big debate over movies is which to watch when. Do you watch the Gathering first, or In the Beginning? Chronologically it should be the latter, but dramatically speaking you gotta put the Gathering first. Except that in the new/improved version of the Gathering Kosh drops quite the spoiler...

I often advocate watching "Midnight on the Firing Line" first, but I'll admit it's been many a year since I saw the Gathering.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back