• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A B5 Complaint From a Newbie

Golf is becoming increasingly mainstream over here, with lots more public courses being built and a much broader demographic playing the game. Tennis used to be an "elitist" sport, too, but few people think of it that way now. Golf seems to be on the same trajectory.

I just object to the cutting off of large areas of outstanding beauty for a sport. I don't necessarily agree that causing a silly old duffer to have a heart attack by blowing the wheels off his buggy is a good idea. But it's a valid point about the usage of land.

I mean, each hole is about 300-500 yards distance to the flag... right? That is a fair whack of land when you consider there are 18 holes... and that's not mentioning the 19th (pub).

"Pitching machines" Thanks for re-explaining that, because obvously some people missed this line in in my earlier post:

:)

Joe

Re-explanation, in essence a seconding of what you said, was my intent, because he missed the first one.

Anybody who's never seen batting cages, check out the Brimstone episode "Faces" (if you can find it). Sorry, it's the only thing that comes to mind re. batting cages.

Batting cages are used in criket too.

That sport should be banned :p

Football training can be fun though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2W3DAUGQLo

Yes, I am willing to concede that if the Americans finally accepted the universal supremacy of association football as a sport , I would be quite willing to concede cricket as a load of boring rubbish and adopt baseball as an official summer sport.:D

I much preferred rounders (which as far as I can tell shares many traits with baseball) to cricket as a kid, it was a lot more fun.

Every boy knows that you take your jumpers off and dump them in the form of a goal.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that "jumper" in British English denotes a different article of clothing than it does in American English. Although given the historic English fondness for cross-dressing (e.g., Monty Python, Benny Hill, soccer uniforms) I suppose I could be wrong. :)

Regards,

Joe

Jumper = Sweater

Ah, as I suspected, not one of these:

L10433330.jpg

:D

Ah, as I suspected, not one of these:

L10433330.jpg

:D

HEHE, in the second Harry Potter film there was quite the controversy about Ginny Weasley asking if anyone had seen her Jumper, and the mother replying "Yes, it's on the Cat" (She asked where her sweater might be and was told it was on the catwalk, but, most American non-reading fans thought the cat was wearing her over-dress.)

Football training is easy to show.
Not necessarily with the cast involved.

An American sport was shown because the series was made in America.In no way does this bother me.
Or, alternatively ......

They point was to show the character engaging in the passtime of playing a sport that he had played since childhood. So they chose one that the actor in question had actually played since childhood.

Better that than have him looking like a complete neophite with absolutely no accumulated skills at all .... while waxing nostalgic about having played all his life.

You don't even have to have ever played whatever sport you're talking about to spot the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't have a clue.

Back to the original question:
Do we really *know* that space was allocated for an entire diamond with outfield and such?

I've seen indoor driving range gear where you hit the golf ball into a screen / net / whatever and sensors pick up the impact position and force of the ball .... then CGI shows the rest of the projected flight path of the ball. Are we completely certain that Sheridan's batting cage wasn't a similar setup? (It requires a little more space to get the pitching machine far enough away from the plate. However, beyond that it would seem that the same principles ought to work just fine.)

I seem to remember that the computer voice announcing the batter's results wasn't always very accurate. I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.

Football training is easy to show.
Not necessarily with the cast involved.

An American sport was shown because the series was made in America.In no way does this bother me.
Or, alternatively ......

They point was to show the character engaging in the passtime of playing a sport that he had played since childhood. So they chose one that the actor in question had actually played since childhood.

Better that than have him looking like a complete neophite with absolutely no accumulated skills at all .... while waxing nostalgic about having played all his life.

You don't even have to have ever played whatever sport you're talking about to spot the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't have a clue.

Back to the original question:
Do we really *know* that space was allocated for an entire diamond with outfield and such?

I've seen indoor driving range gear where you hit the golf ball into a screen / net / whatever and sensors pick up the impact position and force of the ball .... then CGI shows the rest of the projected flight path of the ball. Are we completely certain that Sheridan's batting cage wasn't a similar setup? (It requires a little more space to get the pitching machine far enough away from the plate. However, beyond that it would seem that the same principles ought to work just fine.)

I seem to remember that the computer voice announcing the batter's results wasn't always very accurate. I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.

Do you have any idea how much it cost to develop a virtual reality umpire as blind and clueless as a living one? :) This is what the "reality" part of "virutal reality" is all about.

Regards,

Joe

I think there was one where the computer says something like "Fly ball" when we had clearly just seen the ball leave the bat on a downward (ground ball) trajectory.

:D I LOVE it that they picked baseball!!!

I think I remember the computer saying "foul ball"...when Garibaldi was hitting and Sheridan distracted him. :D I think the Captain even smiled when he heard that. I'm re-watching the whole thing but haven't gotten that far yet. I may jump ahead and view just that scene.

I do remember noticing they had Bruce bat right-handed and Jerry left-handed. They may have blocked it that way for staging purposes alone but I think they're both left-handed. I'm afraid fantasy interrupted reality when I saw Sheridan batting so well; not sure he could really do that but it sure made me smile!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back