• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Today we lost Richard Biggs"

Re: \"Today we lost Richard Biggs\"

I'd like to join everybody else in expressing my deepest condolences and sympathies to Richard Biggs' family and friends. He was a fine actor. He will be missed. :(

Two things.

First the article needs to be edited as it is calling Richard Biggs, Stephen Biggs in the first line.

Second I have my doubts of the authenticity of the JMS' post. Perhaps it's the shock of the news, but the more I read the message the more problems I have with it.

For starters, it's a reply to an existing thread. Why not start a new post? I'm aware that new threads take longer to approve so it could have been JMS' intent to get the news out there.

Secondly JMS said that the family & cast were informed. Family i can understand, but the cast? Babylon 5 ended over 5 years ago. Why would former co-workers be informed on the night it happened?

I'm just finding it hard to believe it's true. I have not found any news articles to corroborate this.

In Denial.

RedXian

PS. If I'm wrong about this. My appologies & condolences go out to JMS & Richards family.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I was shocked to read the news. I didn't know him personally, however, I've seen him many times at conventions and had some pretty hilarious conversations with him off the convention floor. He was extremely funny. I was looking forward to meeting him again at DragonCon in a few short months.
He will be missed and remembered.

I wish I could believe that this was all a hoax, but the post sounds very JMS-like and I think the moderator knows how to tell the real JMS fromthe fake (as I am sure fake JMS posts have been attempted in the past).

Very sad news indeed. Does anyone know how many kids he had? I know he married in '98 and had kid in something like 2000, but lost track after that.

it is listed on www.jmsnews.net ..also in the mod newsgroup its not a reply it is a first post on the matter.
as for richard/stephen..if you goto www.richardbiggs.com thats his own website.Also Stehpen was Dr franklins first name
:(

I still cant get over this..i read it about 1hr ago , i met him several times at different cons and he was a nice guy...my prayer and thoughts are with him and his family

maybe the webby was as shocked as we are about it, would explain the richard/stephen thing

Two things.

Second I have my doubts of the authenticity of the JMS' post. Perhaps it's the shock of the news, but the more I read the message the more problems I have with it.

For starters, it's a reply to an existing thread. Why not start a new post? I'm aware that new threads take longer to approve so it could have been JMS' intent to get the news out there.

Secondly JMS said that the family & cast were informed. Family i can understand, but the cast? Babylon 5 ended over 5 years ago. Why would former co-workers be informed on the night it happened?

Well, you answered your own question. I just don't know why JMS tacked it on sooooo far down such a looooong thread. Why not attach it farther up, as close as possible to the thread root? That has to be one of the longest threeads on rastb5m.

As to why the co-workers were informed, well they were a close knit bunch that were together for quite a few years. During that time, permanent attachments form. I'm friends with people I haven't worked with for eight years, and in fact, I just now forwarded JMS's post about Richard Biggs to two of them.

I hope that all this IS a hoax, and Richard is A-OK. We'll see.

I checked the headers of the post and compared it with previous threads started by JMS. It has a References: field which followed by the Message ID of the post it is replying to. I'm not sure if replies to current threads are moderated. So if it is a hoax then that would be a quick way of starting it. Although it could be JMS just getting the news out as fast as possible.

Still in Denial

RedXian

I certainly pray that it is not true, but Richard, wherever you are, thanks for the fine work and well-drawn character you brought into our living rooms. Hope we see you again. Here or there.

I am in total shock ....
I came on to the site originally , to check to see if there was any news on b5:tmos and i just stared at the front page as it read that He had passed away ... I really wasn`t prepared for that . 43 is such a young age to go . RIP Richard Biggs
One more Star has darkened tonight .

From many years of reading JMS posts, I'm convinced that it's genuine. On the moderated newsgroup, new threads can take up to 3 days or so to show up. As for notifying the cast, there have been mentions of many friendships between cast members over the years. Once one heard I'm sure that the word passed quickly.

Rick Biggs will be sorely missed in two universes.

Jan

I checked JMSNews too and I think the post is genuine, although of course I wish it were not. Richard Biggs brought life to a great character that contained good and bad aspects of humanity and he showed in his performances that through struggle, the better parts of our nature can win out.

I have all my secail trading cards framed. After reading the news i loked at the franklin season 5 cards "one exit at a time2..he just said "bye" and left B5 forever. The only reason i checked it is because the uniform card had slipped down over the autograpgh card. its still hard to come to terms with now we have lost both him and the actor who played his father within months

I never had a chance to meet him in person, but Franklin's character definitely enriched my life. This is a huge loss for our whole Babylon 5 family; cast, crew, fans, everyone.

My best wishes to his family.

-Tim

http://www.thegalacticgateway.com/rick.html
"We are deeply grieved to report the loss of our friend and colleague Rick Biggs. I spoke to Bruce today. Obviously this is sudden and completely unexpected. The entire cast and crew of Babylon 5 await the news of how he passed and the date of his memorial service. We will keep you informed as to how you might help. We are overwhelmed and in shock. I wish we had more information for you. He awoke this morning at 7am , said hello to his wife and collapsed. They were unable to recusitate him. He is survived by his wife Laurie and two young sons. He was 43."

–– Pat
RIP

It's weird, even though I know better, I keep telling myself it's got to be some kind of mistake. :(

I just hope his wife and kids are alright.

:( :(

It is really the first great lost in the B5 universe. Also a big lost in the real world. I understand he was a fine man. His colleagues liked him a lot, as expressed in JMS post.

If I were living in his town for sure I would attend the memorial services. The best I can do for the moment is to pray for his soul. Another flame candle that is gone.

My condolences to his wife and two sons.

I just read this horrible news, this sucks big time. My condolences to his family and friends. :(

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back