• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5: TMOS - What I Don't Want To See...

Re: Babylon 5: TMOS - What I Don\'t Want To See...

GaribaldisHair and Grumbler,

Both of your posts on the topic of board ettiqutte seem to assume that a recent thread exists of a similar topic subject heading. As I stated in the message to CE, I would dispute that assumption. The thread headings in question are titled, "A new JMS message and hint 4/29," "TMoS casting guessing game" and "JMS in New Jersey." Personally, before the issue was brought up by CE, I had no interest in the middle thread topic, specifically speculative casting, yet, upon review, that is the thread that is probably most closely related to this thread. As I mentioned, I would argue that each of those three threads addresses related, but different topics.

I agree entirely.

At the time I posted, it appeared to me that the discussion had veered off into a more philosophical discussion of the general principles of "should we regurgitate ideas and discussions ad nauseam or should we point posters to earlier threads that deal with similar subjects".

It is always good board practice to see if existing threads deal with the issue you want to raise (and the title alone is often not sufficient to judge the specifics, as we are all prone to go off in wild new directions at any given moment).

If so, join in there. If not, start a new thread.

Having too many separate threads dealing with slightly different specifics surrounding the same basic issue can lead to visitors missing out on some good discussions because they think they have read all the threads when they haven't.

Anyhoo, now I am the one doing the straying ...

To get back on topic (ish), I agree that Nicholas Meyer looks a good choice for Director of a B5 movie.

And what I don't want to see from B5:TMoS is a two and a half hour slug-fest between the Zarg and N'Grath. Other than that I don't particularly care what it is ... just bring it on already!

:p

First of all, all is cool Mr. JJCoolbean :cool: :D No hard feelings and all is well.

Next:
Thank you all for the support of the Nick Meyer suggestion. I only wish I were the one at WB making the decision. :D

Maybe one of you who can currently get to the B5.mod newsgroup should post that suggestion to JMS. I can't get there right now since my system is down at home. :(

I'm fairly certain JMS will be at the least a Co-Executive Producer on the film and will have some say on the matter.

Yes, NM brought STII in on 12 million and wrote the script in one week. And to this day it's considered the best Trek film ever made (and it's was the cheapest :LOL:). He's a pretty amazing man and IMHO would gell well with JMS. Not to mention, as I stated, his ideas on the future are much more in line with JMS's than with Roddenberry's...watch the commentaries on STII and VI for that.

He knew nothing about Trek when he first came on board and actually sat down and watched the entire run of TOS to get to know the characters and the universe (what does that tell you about him?). He put his own vision into Trek but stayed very loyal to fans and the universe. Just what B5 needs.

He's great at pacing and making a story feel big. He's got the feel for feature direction that's needed as well. Not to mention he's really good at emotion and character interplay. He did after all, direct the two best Trek films ever and co-wrote the other great one, STIV. Those films all have the best interaction between the characters, the best moments of genuine humor, and the most exciting pacing and action.

The next question would be, would he be willing to sit in the director's chair again on a SF franchise film? Personally, if I were WB, I'd not only offer him the job but I'd offer a nice sum for it to lure him in. :D

I could go on raving about Meyer, simply because I've come to deeply respect him for the Trek films he's made and what he did for Trek. If only TPTB over at Paramount had ever thought to ask him back on Trek, then TNG might not have had the shitty films they've had.

FYI, Sci-Fi Magazine listed Meyer as one of their top picks to replace B&B in the Trek franchise when they called for Berman's resignation. Interesting since one of the other top people on their list was none other than JMS. :D

Even more interesting given JMS's cryptic statement about Trek at the con. :cool: Could the fates smile upon us? Could we get NM to direct B5:TMoS and JMS to take over the reigns of ST and save it?

As one other thread on this forum states: "I can dream, can't I?" :D :D :D

CE

CE, Nick Mayer is definitely the best suggestion I've heard so far. Star Trek II and VI were far and away the best out of the 10 films, IMHO. He also helped out as a writer with IV, which was a fun one as well.

Imagine how much he and JMS could do with a budget! When it comes to stretching dollars I can't think of any duo that would be better!

Regards,

-Tim

Hmm, getting past the "Ides of May" and still no word, eh?

Oh, and about the threads: that'll get to be a bit of a problem once this big new project actually comes out, won't it? :LOL:

People will be so excited we'll end up having 10 different threads discussing the movie. :LOL:

And Antony will have to keep yelling about spoiler announcements again. :D ;)

Yeah, any buzz from insiders making it look imminent in the next few days? Colony Earth?

Yes, NM brought STII in on 12 million and wrote the script in one week

Well, to put the matter into perspective, he did have the benefit of the sets already constructed for ST:TMP (some of which had been started for Star Trek II) and tons of resusable SFX shots left over from Khan's bloated predecessor. So some of his brilliant economy came from the overruns on the previous film. :) Still, he made the most of what he had, and that's the main thing.

Regards,

Joe

Yeah, any buzz from insiders making it look imminent in the next few days? Colony Earth?

My insider can't find anything on B5, though he has tried. :(

Believe me, if I knew anything I'd blab it ASAP :D

I'll try to keep an eye on the trades as well. Since WB will be announcing, we're not sure exactly how they plan to do it. Either way, a press release will go out to the trades on it and their online versions should put the word out pretty quickly.

Although, I can't imagine JMS not speaking again immediately after "the official word" has been spoken.

JDM: The main bridge set and much of the others were actually re-uses only to a point. Large portions of the sets were re-built and re-designed for STII. Meyer did use some shots from TMP and edited them differently in order to mask their initial re-use yes. But the majority of the FX shots were new. In fact, ILM did the STII FX and Trumbull did them for TMP. Basically, all ILM had other than some original shots to re-use in a few places, was the model of the Enterprise.

Even Meyer admitts that the budget was very small (especially compared to TMP), but that he used his imagination and talent to make the great film we saw on such a little amount of money for a SF film.

Let's not diminish what the man accomplished. Compared to the high budget TNG films, the original cast films blew them away. Money ain't everything. If Meyer had had the budget that FC had, think of what he could've and would've done. And what did Frakes do? A sorry ass job. FC was not anything more than a high budget, lackluster, premature ejaculation of a glorified TV episode. For their work on the TNG films RB, BB, RM, and MP should all be shot, hung, drawn and quartered. They pissed away great opportunity after great opportunity.

My motto to Berman and Co. on the Trek films (and Trek in general) is a quotation from the greatest of all Trek films, STII: TWoK:

"Like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target!"

God willing, JMS will take over Trek and it's vision will be revived and Berman and his croonies will have trouble finding work. (My insider has told me he's looking and that no one really wants him - and this regardless of his side deals with Paramount, who I think are just trying to buy him off at this point.)

CE

Does anyone know where JMS is at the moment? (Hollywood, New York or Cannes?) Also whichever suits would be making the announcement?

Would a star be at the announcement? If so, where are the actors?

Does anyone know where JMS is at the moment? (Hollywood, New York or Cannes?) Also whichever suits would be making the announcement?

Would a star be at the announcement? If so, where are the actors?

Excellent thoughts, great detective thinking. I personally can't offer any info though.

God willing, JMS will take over Trek and it's vision will be revived and Berman and his croonies will have trouble finding work.
I am indifferent to the second sentiment, but oppose the first. JMS has done enough work in other peoples' universes. I will allow him (in my dream world) to stick with ASM and RS, but I dislike the idea of seeing him spend lifespan on Trek stuff when he could be spending it on B5 stuff. I'd rather read another B5 trilogy (even if he just outlines it) than watch another Trek anything (even if he writes and produces it).

JMS has done enough work in other peoples' universes. I will allow him (in my dream world) to stick with ASM and RS, ...

Just to clarify one thing. Assuming that by RS you mean Rising Stars that is of course a JMS created universe, not someone elses. Amazing Spiderman and Supreme Power are both existing Marvel universes that JMS is currently running around in.

I'd rather read another B5 trilogy (even if he just outlines it)

Amen to that. Unfortunately, that is dependent on a publisher becoming interested in producing further B5 novels. It would appear from previous comments by both JMS and Del Rey themselves that they are not interested in doing any more at this point due to low overall sales of the existing novels.

Perhaps if we get a movie, and it is successful, someone (Del Rey or whoever) will jump in and commission some more.

Let's hope so.

:cool:

God willing, JMS will take over Trek and it's vision will be revived and Berman and his croonies will have trouble finding work.
I am indifferent to the second sentiment, but oppose the first. JMS has done enough work in other peoples' universes. I will allow him (in my dream world) to stick with ASM and RS, but I dislike the idea of seeing him spend lifespan on Trek stuff when he could be spending it on B5 stuff. I'd rather read another B5 trilogy (even if he just outlines it) than watch another Trek anything (even if he writes and produces it).

JMS, himself, has always stated that he is not a one-trick pony, and can be creative in multiple universes. Why is it mutually exclusive that if he were to helm Trek that he could not in turn still have creative control over anything in the B5 universe?

I personally think JMS is smart enough to do both if he should ever be required to do so.

Back to the original theme of the thread.

No race older and more powerful than the last. Not as a Mcguffin, not as a starting point, not as a bluff from some schmoe. No more ancient and more powerful race.

I'm with Doc Gonzo on that. When "The Hand" appeared, all I could think of was old Voltron cartoons, where in just about every episode, the bad guys revealed a "NEW AND MORE POWERFUL RO-BEAST!"

What I really want to see in TMoS is Byron brought back to life by Jinxo on Babylon 6 exterminating an Ikarran biotech warrior and a Zarg while singing the Telepath song.

-Tim

No race older and more powerful than the last.
That's what I thought when I saw TLaDiS. Ok, thirdspace had über-first-ones, and now we get even an even bigger bad guys? Boring ever-expanding universe.

Not as a Mcguffin, not as a starting point, not as a bluff from some schmoe. No more ancient and more powerful race.
I disagree. Maybe not in the movie. But if JMS introduced "the Hand" as a deception, I would very much see what came of it. It was one of the allready known players doing something. But who? Something for a thread about the rangers. /me off to search.

Personally, I think "the Hand" was a deception; whoever they were were trying to make themselves sound more powerful and dangerous then they actually were. I doubt JMS would re-use the same old ancient race thing again.

What I really want to see in TMoS is Byron brought back to life by Jinxo on Babylon 6 exterminating an Ikarran biotech warrior and a Zarg while singing the Telepath song.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Personally, I think "the Hand" was a deception; whoever they were were trying to make themselves sound more powerful and dangerous then they actually were. I doubt JMS would re-use the same old ancient race thing again.

You never know. That old ancient race thing can get quite a bit of mileage. ;)

Why does everyone hate the Telepath song with such a passion? I readily admit, it's not something I would listen to for the pleasure of listening to it, but for me, it added yet one more layer to the whole creepy cult thing, that I don' think would be quite as strong without the singing.

I dunno. I can't explain it, really. But I do know that I have more than one friend who, if I want to annoy them, I simply start in with "And we will all be to-ge-ther, in a better place..." They scream loudly for me to stop (and I'm generally thought of as quite a good singer, actually <g>). Even more loudly than they scream when the theme from "Enterprise" comes on. _That's_ a pretty strong reaction.

Aisling

What I don't want to see: pod races.

What I do want to see: more sex for G'Kar.

Aisling

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back