• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 novels and graphic novels

Having seen his work on Starship Troopers, I think Tony Lee would be (or is) a great choice for a B5 comic series.

This pretty much tells me all I need to know:'

JMS knows about this, yes. I emailed him yesterday and I hope to have him involved in this - after all, it is his baby.

All of this has been planned and JMS as been "emailed yesterday".

I guess people won't be calling any of this even close to canon.

Sounds above board to me. Before they are actually putting pen to paper they are bringing JMS into the mix, because "It is his baby". So, unless we hear something about JMS not being involved afterall, I see no reason for it not to be Canon.

Quite. Since WB own the book rights, and have licenced it to Mongoose, they could really do whatever they please with the licence. (Unless there's some contractual obligation to contact JMS, which I don't think there is.)

However, "JMS approved" and canon is a stamp of quality to those who would buy the books, and they know it. So it makes good market sense to contact him.

The author also claims to be a fan. That's great. But we can't really act on his proclemations unless JMS and/or prominent fans also approve of the thing.

It just sounds as if they have plans to go forward no matter what, and contacting JMS sounds like a courtesy call more than anything.

Well, I know a lot of people have waited a long time for this, so I hope it materializes one way or another for you.

Quite. Since WB own the book rights, and have licenced it to Mongoose, they could really do whatever they please with the licence. (Unless there's some contractual obligation to contact JMS, which I don't think there is.)

However, "JMS approved" and canon is a stamp of quality to those who would buy the books, and they know it. So it makes good market sense to contact him.

It would be utter arrogant stupidity to not have it be canon. 99.99999% of its value comes from it being canon.

The author also claims to be a fan. That's great. But we can't really act on his proclemations unless JMS and/or prominent fans also approve of the thing.

JMS, yes. Prominent fans? Naah.

This thread is assuming that the books have already been written. A publisher can decide to publish a book before it has been written. The emails to JMS may be to get plot suggestions. The books can then be commissioned and authors chosen. This is the way comics are written

And if you read the Newsarama thread, it's pretty clear the writer has plans and ideas for what he wants to do already, including dropping hints about the first story.

Still, wouldn't hurt to wait for the official official word.

Hi. I'm Tony Lee, the chap who's most likely going to be writing the Babylon 5 story...

I just wanted to pop on the forum and try to quell some fears.

Firstly, there are no pre-written stories. There were and are areas of the Babylon 5 universe that Mongoose have concentrated in, that they've suggested might be areas that would work as stories.

That's right. Suggested. IMHO If JMS goes 'hmm - not sure about that one - hey what about THIS area', then thats where it goes.

Some people on other forums have mentioned that Joe has a GN he wants to write. If JMS has a graphic novel he wants to write, if he hasn't already been talking to Mongoose about it (as believe it or not, they DO talk to each other) email him - suggest to him to write it. I really can't see Mongoose/Warner turning THAT baby down, can you? ;-)

I might not be the BIGGEST BABYLON 5 FAN EVER. But I know my Vorlons from my Centauri. I know the relevance of Green or Purple. I liked Sinclair, wept for Marcus at the end of Season 5, I've had the War without End conversations that many of you have had, cheered when Vir waved to Morden and I sat there with all the others in Pages sci fi bar in London with the TV on, screaming at the end of season three when the cliffhanger hit the UK.

I'm (in my own opinion) a good writer. You want proof? Buy STARSHIP TROOPERS - BLAZE OF GLORY, out now. Buy THE GLOOM out next month.

I can't give you the facts as I don't know them all - this came out before the t's were crossed and the i's were dotted when mongoose's little news bit on their website was picked up by an Internet gossip hack (and it wasn't Rich Johnson, THE PULSE or NEWSARAMA) who threatened to spill. I pre-empted it to stop the story being twisted - but the full answers will be given sometime in the next month.

But on a personal basis? As far as I am concerned, JMS IS Babylon 5.

JMS has to and WILL be involved in any Babylon 5 story I write - and I don't mean 'gets a copy of the final draft as a courtesy' by involvement -

or I won't write it. I'll walk off the project.

Simple as that.

Hope that helps.

Tony Lee

www.tonylee.co.uk

Hi, Tony. Thanks for joining us. It's always neat to have someone involved with B5 actually post here.

It'd be neat if fans could somehow have a say in what the first stories were about, but I'm guessing that submitting story suggestions brings up legal issues about concept origination (or whatever you wanna call it; I know JMS is always adamant about no one telling him story ideas or sending him fan fiction).

However, this is a great place to get backstory knowledge and opinions about pre-existing B5 material. Granted, nothing is better than getting it straight from the horses mouth (JMS), but there is a lot of passion and expertise on this site. Joe DeMartino is probably the most respected genius among us, but it's safe to say many of us know B5 backwards & forwards.

It'd be great if you visit often, even if it's just for lurking or making announcements, but hopefully, you'll feel welcome to go further than that. Things have been slow lately, and we could use some fresh discussion.

Will you also be posting over at www.jmsnews.com?

Unfortunately I am a newsnet luddite and can never get things sorted. But I'm sure that if anything about the comic ever comes up, I'll hear about it elsewhere. :)

Yes. Thanks Tony for taking the time to post here. It's good to hear you are as passionate about B5 as we are.

Any news you have will be gratefully recieved. We will be impatiently patient.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back